• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

Where's the " dental hospital" ? The only one I know is in the middle of town off Steelhouse Lane .
Yesterday I saw two kingfisher along the Bourn Brook on the stretch behind Reservoir Rd and one by the University.

Ah good you saw the Kingfisher along the Reservoir road stretch as I didn't see one there this weekend.
I saw the Kingfisher, 3 times, Friday, Saturday & today by the tunnel by the New Fosse Way roundabout.
The Dental Hospital has a garden with Chad Brook/the Edgbaston pool outflow joining the Bourn Brook. I actually saw the Kingfisher fly under the bridge on Eastern Road. Seen a Kingfisher winter time here for a few years now.

Last edited:
I've not seen the Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook walkway, valley section, that was a good spell it was present. I found one again by the tunnel, that's 2 weeks running.
Yesterday I found the Bourn Brook, Dental Hospital Kingfisher again, always tricky to find as you cant see much of the brook, but that's a few times I've seen it, over the past couple of months.
Then yesterday a Kingfisher back on the River Rea at Ten Acres, that's 2 weeks running. Good to have one along here again.
Yesterday morning there was a Kestrel along the Bourn Brook walkway, only seen one here a handful of times.

Last edited:
Sunday; Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook by the tunnel.
Five male and five female Goosander on the Manor farm park lake.
Kingfisher on the stream that flows into the Rea at KNNR.

Yesterday 10 mile run along the Bourn Brook, River Rea to Wychall then back along the Bourn.
The Kingfisher was down the back of the uni halls. I looked over the wall and it was sat just below.

Hi Somerset,

I saw 2 kingfishers on my usual walk today. This is not that common! One at, for me, the far end of the Trittiford Mill Pond, opposite end to the Dingles. It flew across the end of the pond and down the river.

The second was near the Coleside Road entrance, I saw what I think was the same bird 3 times, once perched over the river.

Do you think they are having trouble feeding, the river is running very fast and cloudy?

Hi Julie. Nice one! Yes I've seen them or seen reports of them on the mill pond in winter. Maybe despite the fast flowing river there are slow areas and of course fish. Keep me posted. Thanks.

The River Rea Kingfisher at Ten Acres was back today. I was there at the right time and it flew in and landed next to me.
The Bourn Brook Kingfisher was again back by the roundabout. The tree branch was swaying in the wind but the Kingfisher kept it's eye on the brook and dived for a fish.

Tuesday A Kingfisher was back along the River Rea after the rain. It gave a surprise two tone call and stopped in somewhere new. Perhaps a new bird. On the Bourn Brook, Eastern Road, the Kingfisher was in the trees over the brook, it flew to a few trees. Always a good number of fish in the brook at this spot during the summer. On BTO a Kingfisher along the canal at Kings Norton. It might be the River Rea Kingfisher I can't find find there lol. The canal in that area makes a possible connection of the River Rea and River Cole.

Last edited:
Thursday; the Kingfisher again on the River Rea flew down to Canon Hill park. Today the Rea was fast and brown. The Bourn Brook was not so bad. I thought the Kingfisher might be up the Chad Brook tributary & it was.
Only seen it there a few times.

Thursday; the Kingfisher again on the River Rea flew down to Canon Hill park. Today the Rea was fast and brown. The Bourn Brook was not so bad. I thought the Kingfisher might be up the Chad Brook tributary & it was.
Only seen it there a few times.

One KF today on the Bourn Brook by the blue bridge behind Reservoir Rd and another along the stretch by Birmingham University plus grey wag.
The City Council have erected another blue bridge ( not yet in use ) across the Bourn Brook close to Harborne Lane. We'll have to be more specific in future when referring to either of these .

One KF today on the Bourn Brook by the blue bridge behind Reservoir Rd and another along the stretch by Birmingham University plus grey wag.
The City Council have erected another blue bridge ( not yet in use ) across the Bourn Brook close to Harborne Lane. We'll have to be more specific in future when referring to either of these .

Nice one, I've not seen the KF by the blue bridge for a few weeks now.
Kingfisher by the roundabout this morning;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/49263606917/

Monday 23rd.....report of 2 sightings of Male King on Canal behind Bittell…..I have NEVER seen a King on a canal...lol

Monday 23rd.....report of 2 sightings of Male King on Canal behind Bittell…..I have NEVER seen a King on a canal...lol

Hi Keith. Good to hear.
Three times, I've seen a Kingfisher on a canal.
There have been reports of a Kingfisher on the canal at Kings Norton recently. Rob Strong who I've bumped into a few times has seen it. I've checked but not seen it.
However I saw this Kingfisher on a canal
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/23302494154
Also a few times a Birmingham River Tame Kingfisher was on the canal. Then I saw a Digbeth River Rea Kingfisher on the canal a couple times.
David Waite on Twitter is regularly seeing a Kingfisher on the Wednesbury canal.

I have seen them on a stretch of the Shropshire Union canal heading towards Wolverhampton. There's a quiet stretch that's very green and quiet, and they've often been seen there. It was a long time since I was in that area though.

A couple reports of Kingfisher on the Fazeley canal yesterday.
The Kingfisher flying along the River Rea and the Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back