• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (4 Viewers)

I was up and out early for milk on my bike, there was no one about.
The Kingfishers on the same stretch of the River Rea and then the Bourn Brook.
A good number of more than 5 Grey Wagtails along the Bourn Brook.

The Kingfisher today along the River Rea.
Then a Sparrowhawk glided past.
Reports on twitter of a Kingfisher along the Stratford Canal just down from Kings Norton.

Yesterday the Bourn Brook Kingfisher was at the roundabout and then up the section opposite the reeds by the boulders.
There was a Goldcrest along the Bourn Brook walkway and a good number of Sparrows.
Later I had a quick look along the River Rea and found the Kingfisher straight away.
There was a Little Egret, Starlings, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, chasing Blackbirds and the Kingfisher gave the 2 tone call.

A nice afternoon yesterday with a few Kingfisher.
I found the River Rea Kingfisher straight away.
Walked to the river at the right spot and it flew from a tree along the river, dazzling in the sun.
Then I had a walk along the Bourn Brook walkway.
The Kingfisher was at one of its favourite spots by the roundabout.
I left it to it but it was disturbed by people walking past.
It was then up by the reeds/boulders.
I then saw it fly under/through the Harborne lane bridge.
Never seen that before.
I then left it to it and checked out the blue bridge area to the old reservoir.
Later at the blue bridge I saw a Kingfisher there.
That's the first time for a couple months.
I then hung around for the roost as all the gulls flew overhead.
A couple Song Thrush starting singing.
I bumped into a couple people I'd not seen for maybe a year.
They told me they thought they'd seen three Little Egrets.
Then walking along the footpath I saw the Kingfisher flying straight towards me. I dodged it, it dodged me lol & it did a body roll to avoid another dog walker.
I had not seen one this far up for ages. I'd have to check.
It might have been heading to Woodgate.

The rain seems to have made brown water at an inlet to the Bourn Brook. I shall check it again and give the EA a call. The Kingfisher was along the usual stretch on the River Rea. 12 Goosander at Manor farm park.

Sunday the brown water cleared from the Bourn Brook but no Kingfisher.
The Kingfisher was along the River Rea at the usual spot.
Funny I had a picture on the same, day and date in the same spot from 5 years a go.

Friday, the Kingfisher on the River Rea was at the usual spot. But yesterday it flew through.
It was the second Friday where it was good for Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook.
First there was one by the roundabout then another up by the blue bridge. It then past me again near the Stonehouse Brook, heading towards Woodgate.

Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook late afternoon today. Just down from the blue bridge. Song Thrush were singing. A Buzzard appeared low over the trees. Just as light faded, a Heron came in. Maybe for some late fishing.

Kingfisher in the valley of the Bourn Brook walkway.
It stopped a few times, good to see its flight.
At a similar time, Rob saw one one down by the university so that's 2 along here.

I was amazed at the Song Thrushes singing at sunrise at the Bourn Brook walkway. Song everywhere. Dont think I've heard it that good. I thought with the murky water the Kingfisher might be a no show. But there it was in the valley.

Yesterday, mid afternoon, the Kingfisher along the lower Bourn Brook. Before the concrete inlet & boulder. It saw me and flew off to the reeds. It was also seen down the back of the uni halls.

Saturday, Rob saw the Kingfisher along the River Rea at Lifford.
Yesterday, during the high winds, there was some blue sky and the rain stopped. I checked the Bourn Brook valley and heard the Kingfisher calling. I only thought yesterday, the Kingfisher should be calling soon. It was then in the valley. I guess it can fish at the side, the water was fast & brown.

Yesterday I found the Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook.
There was a Buzzard by the old res.
Today the water levels were rising.
Now its pouring with rain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back