• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has anyone seen a Hawfinch lately (1 Viewer)

It has just dawned on me that your aviator is a Hawfinch, and he is very handsome too ;) So I think this is one that you favour strongly as birds go. Have you seen one more than once?

I've seen a fair few hawfinches, I normally get over to Lynford a few times in Jan/Feb for them. The shot in the avatar was taken in a pub garden in the broads earlier this year, a single bird spent a couple of weeks there and showed very well. No a particular favourite bird, just a photo that I was pleased with at the time.

I've seen a fair few hawfinches, I normally get over to Lynford a few times in Jan/Feb for them. The shot in the avatar was taken in a pub garden in the broads earlier this year, a single bird spent a couple of weeks there and showed very well. No a particular favourite bird, just a photo that I was pleased with at the time.

Hi Postcardcv

I have to say your picture is super. You could not get a better close up of the bird. :t:

Been to Titchwell, Norfolk, but not visited Lynford yet. Must make a point in doing so as we live reasonably close to this area. Is it really close to the Norfolk Coastal Path?

Might be worth a B & B for myself and my OH for a weekend anyday! Jan/Feb is approaching fast. :-O

No, Hawfinch is another species on my Extremely Long List...."Birds I Haven´t Ever Seen".

Hi Sancho

Well since it may not reside in your neck of the woods, you will have to come across for a 'wee' visit to the UK, and I am sure we will show you the delights of finding one.

A Hawkfinch will be a special laid on trip for yourself - less the Sanchmobile off course !!

If you're keen on Hawfinches right now would be the time to pay a short visit to northeast Spain: there seems to be a good influx of wintering birds since early November/late October. For example I saw at least 5 birds in 3 different places last week to the north of Lleida. In between a couple of Wallcreepers!

Steve
http://www.BirdingInSpain.com

I'd agree it's a great spot for them, probably best in Jan/Feb big flocks are recorded there (30+) - I've also seen lesser pecker there!

3 Hawfinches reported from Lynford last week, numbers will hopefully build up.
I have seen Hawfinch there, not every visit but persistance pays off.
Where are you lot seeing Lesser Pecker at lynford?! Not seen one for years.
Cheers,
Jim.

We've had up to 5 Hawfinches at our feeders at one time. They nest in the little cemetery across the road. Saw a couple there yesterday.
We had a lesser pecker in the tree below the balcony last December.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
The paddock area at Lynford Arboretum in Norfolk is pretty reliable during the winter, with a good range of other woodland species (I have seen Lesser Spotted Woodpecker there as well, but never a leprechaun).

I saw one (a Hawfinch) near Welshpool a couple of weeks ago.

Last visit there it took me five minutes to see one, a hawfinch not a leprachaun, not usually this easy but a very good site.

If you ever get chance common, easily seen hawfinches are just one of many delights at Bailowieza, Poland. A very reasonably priced trip with budget airlines.

Last edited:
I nearly posted to say that since a small roost/feeding flock had foresaken a small wood up at the University of Kent (a mile from my home), I hadn't seen a Hawfinch locally for several years. However, yesterday I heard that one had been seen there last week! I might nip up there tomorrow and have a look-see,

John

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back