• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It's pobably me. (1 Viewer)

MikePearson

Hi Steve and Ollie.

I have noticed for some time and I have meant to mention it earlier but every time I think about doing so, it sounds a bit whingy.

I tend to use the view new posts options after logging on.

If I post a reply, clicking the back button puts me in a loop and doesn't take me back to the search results.

To overcome this I click on forums and nine times out of ten I can click 'view new posts again. That other one in ten seems to update the clock so to speak and I lose all of the recent posts except those posted while I was submitting. That is a bit frustrating, although I'm sure it's me thats doing the wrong thing. Help?

Mike

It's alright Mike I have the same problem, especially considering the number of postings nowadays.
I tend to click the back button twice rapidly to get back to the message and then once more to get back to the search list. It usually works, but occasioanlly as you say the list is updated to zero new posts.
It may do as a temporary measure unless Steve or Ollie can suggest an alternative.

The problem here is the 'redirecting you to the results' page. When you press back it takes you to that page, which promptly tries to redirect you again. I didn't make the software, and its not something i can take out, but im sure its in there for a good reason.

SOLUTION: Press Back Two times quickly or press the arrow next to the back button and select the 2nd page in the list.

As for the 'View New Posts'; it is reset after 15 minutes of 'inactivity' (for once, this actually means what it should - not touching the site), whether you are on the site or not!

Therefore if you have the forums open on your computer, then go to make yourself a cup of tea etc for 15 minutes, your 'View New Posts' will be reset then.

SOLUTION: Get a 'loved one' to make the tea for you of course.... 3:)

Hope that clears it up - if not let me know!

Ollie

Sorry about this Ian but I have another problem. Sometimes when I have logged in the first link I open such as 'Forums' I get sent to a blank page and have to do 'back' then re-enter the desired page to get what I wanted. After that first time it never happens again, only the first link after logging in.

Ollie's the expert on such things - I have trouble finding which are the right keys to press on the keyboard - thank God for the spell-checker - when I remember to use it !

Andrew,

I get the "blank screen" problem as well.

In my experience using Microsoft IE, I just "Stop" and "Refresh".

Bit of a bind, I know, but I expect it's just one of those things.

Suggestion:

From the new post page, before you click on one of the links to the a new message hold the shift key down and click on the link, this will open the page in a new window, you can the either read - read and reply etc then close this new window to get back to your original windows with the new posts on it.

Hope that makes sense, but just like running the spell checker, its remembering to do it.

microsoft IE
i get the same blank screen as the birdman and do the exact same thing hit refresh
billy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back