• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vancouver Island boat trips (1 Viewer)

Peter C.

...just zis guy, you know?
Hi All,

The OH and I will be on the Island for the end of May into early June. Does anybody have any gen on somebody doing pelagic trips from either Tofino, Port Hardy, or Victoria itself? The internet shows lots of whale-watching trips from various places, but these are not necessarily any good for birds.

(Oh, and I know that this question has been put here before, but those threads are quite old, I imagine the information is a bit out of date as well).

Thanks,
Peter C.

Years ago in August Telegraph cove appeared to produce far more birds than Tofino. However whale watching did not appear to be a particularly good way to see birds - I would be inclined to try a canoe trip next time.

Hello.
We were there two years ago, slightly later, in mid-June, which wasn't really ideal on the bird front, as migration was over. You'll probably be better off on that front, as I expect that two weeks earlier you could still catch the tail-end of the spring migration. We couldn't find any dedicated birding trips, but most boats go to Cleland Island, off the coast, which is a wildlife sanctuary, and has lots of birds too. We saw Tufted Puffin there, Pigeon Guillemots, Marbled Murrelet etc. (see our trip report above).

We used this company: Westcoast Aquatic Safaris, which has a largish boat which we thought was better for photographic gear etc. than inflatables.

We also went on a bear-watching trip inside Clayoquot Sound with a small, native-run company: http://clayoquotwild.com/index.html . We had the boat to ourselves, so we could stop wherever we wanted. We didn't see many birds on the trip though, but then we didn't know where to look.

We also hired a guide for half a day. He is a local birder-photographer and very knowledgeable. If you PM me I can give you his email and maybe telephone number if I can find it. Hope this helps! Very envious. I could go back every year if I could!

Last edited:
I only remember that one should take a big vessel, since small inflatable boats are so shaky that following birds is almost impossible.

Hope this helps! Very envious. I could go back every year if I could!

Thanks! I will check out the link. Yes, Vancouver Island is quite an enchanting place (so long as it isn't raining ... which, let's face it, it often is...). I have traveled there a few times, but not once in the last 17 years, which is a bit of a stretch!

Peter

Hi johnraven:

Now, that's more like it! I somehow had not found that page before... we, unfortunately, we be flying back from B.C. before then, but I will contact them and see what I can find out.

PC.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back