• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mongolian Birds early August (1 Viewer)

George London

Please could someone ID the attached birds?

A & B: Altai mountains far West probably 2500 metres both around a small lake.
A (small thrush size). B had one white stripe along the underside of each wing rest black, behaved a bit like a wagtail is it some sort of redstart?
C & D: Centre North by large rivers, C (chaffinch size) in open plains, D (wren size) edge large forest.

Any help much appreciated.

George

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 79
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 68
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 86
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 78
I think 2 is a juvenile Guldenstadt's Redstart and 3 is Grey-necked Bunting. With the other two, I'd wait until the parents show and to identify them!

First one looks like an immature Accentor sp., with I suppose Altai (aka Himalayan) the most likely candidate.

I'm in agreement with Guldenstadt's & Ortolan.

The fourth has a Red-breasted Flycatcher look to it. Maybe.

James

Thanks very much for responses...

Any other ideas on 1 and 4 appreciated.

Now I have the perfect excuse for the Mrs to go back there to ID the nippers' Mums and Dads!

Thanks George

1. I believe the pattern of the greater coverts suggest Altai Accentor (rather than Alpine). Perhaps Hodgson's Mountain Finch could spring to mind as well, but to me the bill proportions looks too weak for a Mountain Finch.

2. Agree on juv Guldenstadt's.

3. Agree Ortolan.

4. A bit tricky, but in this part of the world I believe the tail pattern excludes anything but a Ficedula flycatcher. Looks like a juvenile bird, and since juvenile Mugimaki shows an all dark tail, my vote goes to Taiga Flycatcher.

/Magnus

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back