• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some Malaysian birds to ID (1 Viewer)

I don't think images of silhouetted Swifts and Swiftlets are identifiable, Andre.

The KL Swiftlets are probably Germain's/Edible-nest, although Black-nest is also supposed to occur.

I'm really not sure about no. 5. It could be cooki or pacificus, but can we rule out any other species on these views? It's unusual to see the tail of a Cook's or a Pacific almost come to a point like that, although there is quite a pronounced humeral bulge.

No idea what no. 6 is. Nos. 7-9 are most likely Glossy AKA Plume-toed Swiftlet, which is the commonest form at FH.

Isn't no.11 a Common Myna?

I don't believe it occurs there. Maybe a Verditer?

Thank you for your suggestion! I didn't see any of those species but in the book The Birds Of The Thai-Malay Peninsula. V. 2. Passerines. D.R. Wells. 2007 the distribution maps of both species cover the place of Fraser Hill.

Also both species exist in eBird database for Fraser Hill. Here are the eBird inks:

https://ebird.org/map/pabfly2?neg=t...mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2018

https://ebird.org/map/verfly4?neg=t...mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2018

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1049177?yr=all&m=&rank=mrec&hs_sortBy=taxon_order&hs_o=asc

Last edited:
I don't think images of silhouetted Swifts and Swiftlets are identifiable, Andre.

The KL Swiftlets are probably Germain's/Edible-nest, although Black-nest is also supposed to occur.

I'm really not sure about no. 5. It could be cooki or pacificus, but can we rule out any other species on these views? It's unusual to see the tail of a Cook's or a Pacific almost come to a point like that, although there is quite a pronounced humeral bulge.

No idea what no. 6 is. Nos. 7-9 are most likely Glossy AKA Plume-toed Swiftlet, which is the commonest form at FH.

Isn't no.11 a Common Myna?

Thank you for your answer. The birds on the good photos from trip to Malaysia are already identified. Only those of worst quality are left for ID. I know that swifs and swiftlets are very tricky to ID especially by bad pics. But probably there can be somebody superskiled who can make it.

Thank you for the suggestion of Common Myna! I think that it is it!

About the Peregrine photo. This species is variable both geographically and individually and the number of recognised subspecies varies a lot between different authors which have done independent studies. Ssp peregrinator is variable geographically and could be splitted to several subspecies, but there is also the extensive individual variation and where to draw the line? Also ernesti is variable and in some areas, for example in peninsular Malaysia, may show rufous on breast. This really may be because of peregrinator genes, but, for example, White et al (Peregrine Falcons of the World) discuss this and include all peninsular Malaysian birds in ernesti. According to them, ernesti meets peregrinator somewhere in the northern Peninsula and southern Myanmar. Wells (The Birds of the Thai-Malay Peninsula) also includes peninsular breeders in ernesti, although with some hesitation ('residents have not been identified formally but in the field appear close to subspecies ernesti').

So probably new names are not needed here.

About the Peregrine photo. This species is variable both geographically and individually and the number of recognised subspecies varies a lot between different authors which have done independent studies. Ssp peregrinator is variable geographically and could be splitted to several subspecies, but there is also the extensive individual variation and where to draw the line? Also ernesti is variable and in some areas, for example in peninsular Malaysia, may show rufous on breast. This really may be because of peregrinator genes, but, for example, White et al (Peregrine Falcons of the World) discuss this and include all peninsular Malaysian birds in ernesti. According to them, ernesti meets peregrinator somewhere in the northern Peninsula and southern Myanmar. Wells (The Birds of the Thai-Malay Peninsula) also includes peninsular breeders in ernesti, although with some hesitation ('residents have not been identified formally but in the field appear close to subspecies ernesti').

So probably new names are not needed here.

Thank you for such a good explanation!

12. More tricky swifts
2018_02_24 Bukik Tinggi (about 50 km to NE from Kuala Lumpur)

Attachments

• IMG_1743.jpg
    IMG_1743.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1744.jpg
    IMG_1744.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1746.jpg
    IMG_1746.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1747.jpg
    IMG_1747.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1748.jpg
    IMG_1748.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The same swifts

Attachments

• IMG_1749.jpg
    IMG_1749.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1750.jpg
    IMG_1750.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1751.jpg
    IMG_1751.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1752.jpg
    IMG_1752.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
13. Brown-streaked Flycatcher Muscicapa williamsoni ?

Attachments

• IMG_1600.jpg
    IMG_1600.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1604.jpg
    IMG_1604.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1607-1.jpg
    IMG_1607-1.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1626-1.jpg
    IMG_1626-1.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
14. Buff-breasted Babbler Pellorneum tickelli ?

Attachments

• IMG_1193-1.jpg
    IMG_1193-1.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1194-1.jpg
    IMG_1194-1.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1199-1.jpg
    IMG_1199-1.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 17
The Swiftlets look like Glossy/Plume-toed, if 1763 is anything to go by.

I'm not sure about the Flycatcher - it's only diffusely streaked and doesn't seem to have enough yellow at the base of the lower mandible, except in 1604. Maybe just Asian Brown?

The final bird is indeed Buff-breasted Babbler, which I saw in what must be the same place.

Are you sure the flycatchers are all the same bird? The first two photos look like Asian Brown but the second two look like Dark-sided (e.g. smaller bill with less pale base, less pale on lores, rounder head, shorter tail projection, dark centres to undertail coverts).

Are you sure the flycatchers are all the same bird? The first two photos look like Asian Brown but the second two look like Dark-sided (e.g. smaller bill with less pale base, less pale on lores, rounder head, shorter tail projection, dark centres to undertail coverts).

If there are two birds involved, that would explain a lot.

Yes, clearly two birds involved as John alludes, the first (1-2) has a damaged tail for starters in addition to the features noted.

Agree 1-2 Asian Brown 3-4 Dark-sided.

Brown-streaked for comparison https://singaporebirds.com/species/brown-streaked-flycatcher/ Note in particular warmer brown plumage tones, more distinct/extensive underpart streaking, more extensive yellow bill base and shorter pp.

Grahame

Last edited:

It is the same bird. The first 2 shots of it were made in good conditions. The last 2 were shot in fog. I have more pics of it. I will add them on saturday.

Yes, clearly two birds involved as John alludes, the first (1-2) has a damaged tail for starters in addition to the features noted.

Agree 1-2 Asian Brown 3-4 Dark-sided.

Brown-streaked for comparison https://singaporebirds.com/species/brown-streaked-flycatcher/ Note in particular warmer brown plumage tones, more distinct/extensive underpart streaking, more extensive yellow bill base and shorter pp.

Grahame

There was the only bird. I shot it in different weather conditions. At first the weather was good than suddelly the fog came. Last 2 pics were made in the fog. I'll add more pics tomorrow when I will be able to get to my computer.

The Swiftlets look like Glossy/Plume-toed, if 1763 is anything to go by.

I'm not sure about the Flycatcher - it's only diffusely streaked and doesn't seem to have enough yellow at the base of the lower mandible, except in 1604. Maybe just Asian Brown?

The final bird is indeed Buff-breasted Babbler, which I saw in what must be the same place.

Thank you for swifts ID suggestion and confirmation of babbler!

Last edited:
Hi guys!

Here are few more pics of this flycatcher from Bukik Tinggi (about 50 km to NE from Kuala Lumpur)

Attachments

• IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1583.jpg
    IMG_1583.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1587.jpg
    IMG_1587.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back