• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somalia or Common Bulbul - Djibouti September 2018 (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and bird watchers

I spotted a few Bulbuls in Djibouti back in September 2018. I made a recording and I posted it on XENO-CANTO as a Common Bulbul as this was the only bulbul on my list for Djibouti.

https://www.xeno-canto.org/433297

All pictures taken in the Goda Mountains and the two last at the Foret Du Day camping and the very last picture is the bird you can hear in the recording above.

Today I got a message on XENO-CANTO wondering when I will change my bird to Somali bulbul, a bird that I have never heard of in Djibouti and not on my list.

You can find the discussion on Xeno-Canto by clicking the link below:
https://www.xeno-canto.org/forum/topic/25977

But after having checked other sources I see that both the bulbuls are nesting in Djibouti.

Any one here know the difference between the Somali and Common Bulbul, I can for sure not see the difference between them.

My birds on the attached pictures, are they Somali or Common?

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 8
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 978.jpg
    978.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 8
For me, somaliensis. The separation must be done with schoanus. The other two barbatus-related taxa in the region are dodsoni, and spurius, and they both have yellow crissa. The only reliable distinguisher that I have found with schoanus is the appearance of the hind-nape evident in your last photo...it seems to be less concolorous (kind of whitish tips) respect to that of schoanus.

For me, somaliensis. The separation must be done with schoanus. The other two barbatus-related taxa in the region are dodsoni, and spurius, and they both have yellow crissa. The only reliable distinguisher that I have found with schoanus is the appearance of the hind-nape evident in your last photo...it seems to be less concolorous (kind of whitish tips) respect to that of schoanus.

Thank you very much cuckooroller

Yet again on birdforum.net, I learned something, appreciated

The only confusing part is now that they have split the common in to 4 species among them the Somali, and somali is also one of the subspecies

Thank you very much and I have changed my recording on Xeno-Canto to Somali

Aladdin

Hi Aladdin,
this Opus page breaks down the taxonomy. Sibley and Monroe accepts 4 subspieces, but Clements recognises 10. It is a bit of a mess as different authorities recognise different things. If you take a peek at avibase you can see all the subspecies recognised by which authority. Some people follow more than one authority, but keep more than one list. It takes a look of time and dedication to do that though.

Last edited:
Hi Aladdin,
this Opus page breaks down the taxonomy. Sibley and Monroe accepts 4 subspieces, but Clements recognises 10. It is a bit of a mess as different authorities recognise different things. If you take a peek at avibase you can see all the subspecies recognised by which authority. Some people follow more than one authority, but keep more than one list. It takes a look of time and dedication to do that though.

Cheers Andy

Yes, drives me crazy, just as I think I got the hang of it there is something totally different.

But it is interesting and it fills me with a feeling of satisfaction every time I learn something even though sometimes the satisfaction turns in to hopelessness when my new knowledge makes me realize that there is much more to learn.

I have changed my recording at Xeno-Canto to the Somali Bulbul

Aladdin

Cheers Andy

Yes, drives me crazy, just as I think I got the hang of it there is something totally different.

But it is interesting and it fills me with a feeling of satisfaction every time I learn something even though sometimes the satisfaction turns in to hopelessness when my new knowledge makes me realize that there is much more to learn.

I have changed my recording at Xeno-Canto to the Somali Bulbul

Aladdin

I tend to think of it as there is always something new to learn. If you stop learning, you have closed your mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back