• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id Help - Bharatpur, Rajasthan, India - 6 (1 Viewer)

mihir

India
1) Shikra?
2)
3) black-shouldered kite?
4)
5)

Attachments

• _AGB0354.jpg
    _AGB0354.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 48
  • _AGB0767.jpg
    _AGB0767.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 33
  • _AGB1335.jpg
    _AGB1335.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 46
  • _AGB0476.jpg
    _AGB0476.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 44
  • _AGB1442.jpg
    _AGB1442.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 47
1. Not sure what this is - I don't think it's a Shikra, as it has neither the heavy vertical streaks of a juvenile or the fine horizontal barring of an adult female. I'm not sure it's an accipiter at all. Anyone?
2. Indian Spotted Eagle? Not sure the gape is long enough though.
3. Yes, Black-winged Kite - has the black wedges on the wing of ssp. vociferus
4. Looks like imm. Eastern Imperial Eagle
5. Zitting Cisticola?

1. I don’t see anything speaking against Shikra but no experience with other Indian Accipiter
2. yellow iris, long tail, barring suggest immature EIE to me
3. agree
4. plain coverts and wing shape look Tawny to me
5. Pipit?

For no. 2, I was influenced by this image, and by a few others showing birds with a similarly diamond-shaped tail:

https://www.hbw.com/ibc/species/indian-spotted-eagle-clanga-hastata (1 of 7)

I'm not seeing a yellow iris.

Would this be a subadult then? It doesn't have the "gap" in the flight feathers of juv. EIE.

Re no.4, I'm sure you're right. I forgot that the underwing pattern of pale Tawny is rather similar to juv. EIE. Head size and shape and the relatively slim wings and body are better for Tawny.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back