• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Flowerpecker & Warblers? Fraser's Hill, Pahang Malaysia (1 Viewer)

TwiddlingThumbs

Which Flowerpecker & Warblers? Fraser's Hill, Pahang Malaysia, Jan 2020

All these birds were seen in the vicinity of Jeriau Waterfall.

1. Was hoping to see the Fire-breasted Flowerpecker but this looks more like the Orange-bellied Flowerpecker although I've not seen one with such a white throat before. Not sure what this is.

2. Not sure if a conclusive ID can be had from this poor quality photo of a warbler. Pale underparts, slight yellow on the vent and no dark tip on the lower mandible (which rules out Arctic?).

3. Could this be an Eastern Crowned Warbler? Very yellow vent with yellow splotches up to the breast. Doesn't seem to have a dark top to the lower mandible.

Apologies for the poor quality photos. Help much appreciated!

Attachments

• P1160231-crop.jpg
    P1160231-crop.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 42
  • _DSC5832_filtered-crop.jpg
    _DSC5832_filtered-crop.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 39
  • _DSC5834_filtered-crop.jpg
    _DSC5834_filtered-crop.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 45
1. A very odd-looking bird. As Fire-breasted is the only species that occurs there, it must be an immature male.
2. The unmarked lower mandible appears to point to Eastern Crowned but are we seeing enough yellow on the undertail coverts? There's just a hint of it.
3. Yellow-bellied Warbler.

Thanks very much for the help, Arcadillor and Andy!
Guess I'll have to leave no.2 as not identifiable.

It depends on whether you saw the yellow coloration on the vent in the field. I'm afraid the lack of a dark smudge on the lower mandible isn't enough to rule out Arctic, as some individuals don't have it.

Re the Flowerpecker, I should have qualified what I said further - Fire-breasted is the only species found around the hill station. Jeriau is actually a couple of hundred metres lower, but I would think still too high for Orange-bellied, which would only be found at The Gap.

Andy 3. is another phylloscopus possibly an Eastern Crowned on account of completely yellow/orange lower mandible, all black in Yellow-bellied.

Grahame

Yes, I did notice the bill colour and it puzzled me at the time. The yellow on the underparts seemed far too extensive, but when I adjusted the photo, it didn't look quite so strange. The wash on the breast is an artifact, I think. Definitely an Eastern Crowned in my opinion. Apologies, arcadillor, for contradicting you.

Attachments

• _DSC5834_filtered-crop.jpg
    _DSC5834_filtered-crop.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 11
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back