• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another dumb converter question (1 Viewer)

u8myufo

Hi guys, I have a c5050zoom, and for the first time since I have had the camera I stuck on the 2x converter. Right now what will give me best overall image quality with the converter? digital zoom in or out? I ask this because I took three of the same still shots and they all look the same basically apart from the vignetting when using converter, and when your composing the shot its like looking along the barrel of a cannon. Will I only see the result when cropping and enlarging a shot that has used the converter? Or am I totally confused :h?: here, please put me straight LOL
Thanks

OK... I'm not an expert, but I can give a little general information on this.

I know that circumstances don't always allow, but best to avoid using digital zoom wherever possible, as this will produce the equivalent of "graining" in the final image.

Taking that to the next stage, then, I would expect that your 2x converter would magnify any "flaws" when using your digi-zoom.

I don't know the 5050, but I expect it has optical zoom... best to stick to this wherever possible.

If your subject is too far away, then you either have to live with the shortcomings of digi-zoom, as I do, or you will p'raps need to consider a full digiscoping set, about which I know absolutely zero!

Don't just take my word for it though, wait for a few more and better educated replies!

:t:

Last edited:
If possible avoid using the digital zoom,all it does is enlarge the pixels in the center of the frame usually leading to a degradation of image quality,stick with the optical zoom.

Cheers Steve.

u8myufo said:
I ask this because I took three of the same still shots and they all look the same basically apart from the vignetting when using converter, and when your composing the shot its like looking along the barrel of a cannon. Will I only see the result when cropping and enlarging a shot that has used the converter? Or am I totally confused :h?: here, please put me straight LOL
Thanks

Usually one has to zoom in using the optical zoom to avoid vignetting, when using a teleconverter. If you experience vignetting even at full zoom, then the teleconverter isn't really suitable for the camera.

The digital zoom won't do anything useful.

I agree with what others have said - don't use digital zoom - period. Make believe it doesn't exist. Forget about it. If you do want to crop a picture and resize it up, do so later in an image editor.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back