• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Canon 100mm macro with IS (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Canon has announced the new 100mm macro with the new hybrid IS sytem. The IS gives 2 stops at 1: mag and 4 stops at greater distances.

Price is around double the current 100/2.8 and will be in addition to and not as a replacement to the current 100/2.8.

it's good to see these interesting new products from Canon - this lens sounds great if macro's your thing. I wonder if we'll see a 180 IS next year...

If this wasn't L glass and was priced lower as a result I think it would have made it a more attractive prospect to most of us. As it is I think only those truly into macro over other tyes of photography will buy this lens.

Even then Jaff there are other things to consider - Canon have been wise to make it L grade because (I hope at its L and at 100mm in focal length) it means its canon teleconverter compatable, and using TCs in macro is a growing thing for that little bit of increased working distance and the boost in magnifcation.
But keeping it at 100mm means that its competing (on a working distance basis) with the cheaper sigma 150mm and 180mm lenses - something which is a big consideration for macro shooters.

I think we shall have to wait and hear on how well the IS performs in the field - since you are paying double the average price of a macro lens for this feature really. If it makes little to no real world difference at 1:1 this lens could fall to the side, but if it makes a big difference it could become a very popular choice for the keen macro shooter.

... it could become a very popular choice for the keen macro shooter.

You've just repeated my point there (and what Pete said too). Most of us on here, being birders, aren't going to shell out that kind of money on a macro lens. Only someone who is a dedicated macro photographer (or someone who is just very rich!) would be able to justify spending that much on a macro lens, irrespective of whether it has Canon TC compatability or not.

If it was just a Canon 100mm f2.8 macro with the IS added it would have been more attractive to many of us who like to just dabble in macro, which is probably far more than true macro photographers.

That said, for those who can afford/justify buying it I'm sure it will be an awesome lens.

For the type of close-up photography of butterflies/dragonflies that I do, a tripod can be as much a hindrance as a help so this lens looks very attractive to me. The price doesn't though, especially as I fancy a 7D body to go with it as well :eek!: A bit (or a lot!) of creative thinking needed in the financial department - looking round the room nothing looks to have any great value apart from a complete set of Beatles LPs from the 60s and they're not for sale at any price ;)

An extra £400+ for IS and 50mm less in focal length compared to my Siggy 150mm is a tad hard to swallow, and they can't even throw in a pod collar, thats plain tight. Sigma threw a collar and hood in as part of the package with the 150mm even though I rarely use a pod, its there if I do..!!!

I'm very much into macro myself but given the option of purchasing a new lens I'd stick with my Sigma 150mm which is a joy to use (hand held or otherwise) and purchase the Canon MPE-65 macro lens @ 1-5X magnification instead, as it seems to me anyway, to be the next logical step in my journey discovering macro photography... AND IT COMES WITH A COLLAR..!!!!:brains:
"Sorry I just think these things including hoods should come as standard"

Sorry rant over :-O

Sounds nice with IS, would be very handy at times I'm sure, stick another 50mm on the end might make it more favourable with some folk..

I agree with what has been said regarding it would have been better if it was a 150mm IS. I just think Sigma got it right with the 150mm lens, I just love mine. Would I change it yes, if a 150mm IS came out and I had loadsssss of Moneyyyyyyy

EDIT I love a freebie kerso sent me a pen with my last order, it was just a pen but I appreciated, so hood and collar I agree need to be part of the lens.

Last edited:
You've just repeated my point there (and what Pete said too)

Yah... I think I started trying to say something else but my mind ended up coming round to the same way of thinking....

As for collars and hoods I know that canon don't ship them with the 100mm f2.8 (and the collar appears to be sold by only a few retailers and has a massive pricetag on it) but I thought that all L grade lenses were sold with at least the hood if not collar as well.

Just for info the 'old' Canon 100 macro is not an 'L' - not sure about the new IS one.

The new one is indeed an 'L' series lens and Canon score no points for not including a lens hood at least with a lens where the front element is so close to the end of the barrel (some macros have a fairly deeply-recessed front element anyway).

Of course, you don't need a tripod ring on an IS lens, do you ;)

Attachments

• 100mmlens.jpg
    100mmlens.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Of course, you don't need a tripod ring on an IS lens, do you ;)

:-O Oh yeah..!!! Didn't think of that :-C :t: I don't know what canon were thinking of when producing one for it...!!! Unless of course they were overstocked with previous 100mm model collars and couldn't off load them so they are one in the same.. ;) :-O :t:

I dont know about the IS version but I do not think you need a tripod collar for the 100/2.8 I have used it on a pod many times by coming off the camera screw via a quick release plate and it balances ok - it is not a heavy or long lens so IMO the tripod collar is surplus to requirements any way - just my 2p's worth from using this lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back