• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird in Saudi Arabia (1 Viewer)

steverowe

I saw a bird today that I can't identify. Its not in my Collins B/G for Britain & Europe (which covers a lot of the Saudi birds), and I can't find it on the internet. I haven't got a picture of it but it was a small bird about the size of a sparrow. It had a long tail, like a wagtail, a small head and a finch like beak, quite small. The primaries and tail feathers were black and it had a white rump. I couldn't quite make out whether it had large eyes or whether it had a black ring around normal eyes. I think its upper parts were brownish. I remember the black primaries and tail mostly. Could it be an Arabian Serin? I don't know what one looks like.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Arabian Serin doesn't have a white rump.

A long tail suggests one of the waxbill allies (Estrildidae), presumably an escape from captivity - I'll check through my books and see if any of them matches

Michael

Hi Steve,

Think I've got it - Indian Silverbill (Lonchura malabarica). Native in the far southeast of Saudi, but also some established feral populations northwest to Eilat.

Page 391 in the Collins Guide

Michael

Thanks Michael :) . Its the very last bird in the Collins guide. I must have overlooked it. I was thinking it might have been a South Arabian Waxbill, but again, I don't know what one looks like. There aren't any decent bird books available in Saudi Arabia. Not even for their own birds. I'm sure I could get one from Amazon but I've had too many books go missing in the erratic Saudi mail. I'll bring one back from my next leave.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back