• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marne - Belval / Lac du Der (1 Viewer)

tommo999

Hi all,

Am travelling down to Marne later this year, and am looking to sense-check the information I have found before travelling down there this coming mid-May. This will be our first overseas dedicated wildlife trip so hoping to get a decent selection of non-UK species - would particularly like Bluethroat and the various Heros/Bitterns/Storks, and Bee-eater (if any are in the area or anywhere near)…

Etangs de Belval-en-Argonne

The reserve here looks excellent – I know you can see the lake from the road, but is the reserve/hides open ‘out of hours’?

The general area around Belval-en-Argonne looks quite interesting, with a seemingly vast network of forest tracks – should provide some nice dawn chorus opportunities - and some equally interesting agricultural areas.

Lac du Der-Chantecoq

Not really expecting any Cranes or Eagles in May but still would like to visit; from what I have gathered there is a hide/observatory overlooking the main lake, then also some hides overlooking Etang des Landres & Etang de Grand Coulon to the SW. I guess I have a similar question for this site - can anybody confirm whether a) these are open to the public and b) what their typical opening hours are?

I have found a few old posts on here which have been helpful. But would be most thankful if anybody could confirm/unconfirm the above information and offer any additional recommendations (or of websites to look at etc.). Or indeed any tips of places to stop on the drive down/home.

Many thanks |=)|
Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back