• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare bird news for Florida (1 Viewer)

The La Sagra's Flycatcher was seen today at the same location (see above post). The Bronzed Cowbirds are still being seen along Faulkenburg Rd, Progress in Hillsborough County.
There was a 1s Iceland Gull in Lanark Village, Franklin County yesterday by the Sea Boat Club.

Last edited:
Also, reported yesterday and today, a Bahama Mockingbird at Hugh Taylor Birch State Park. Will be there this afternoon with a friend.

Carlos

Bahama Mockingbird seen again today at Hugh Taylor Birch State Park. The white-winged gull, tentatively identified as an Iceland that was found near Lanark Village recently has been re-identified as a 2s Glaucous Gull from photographs by multiple observers. Any white-winged gull is very rare in the Florida Panhandle.

I haven't yet had time to go through and post-process my shots to verify everything I saw this weekend at Wakodahatchee, but there were two birds that completely vexed me. I tried to get shots of them, but they were being very spastic, moving quickly through the branches in bad backlighting - still, I snapped some shots that are way underexposed figuring I can brighten them up enough for IDs in post processing. There were astounding numbers of perching birds at Wako on Sunday - I've never seen so many redstarts in one place, lots of yellow-rumped and black & white warblers mixed in, and a few others - one of the unidentifieds though looked suspiciously like the La Sagra's photos I saw. Another was a very small, much rounder little bird that looked like possibly a titmouse or chickadee...but i need to go through the photos and see if I've got enough to ID them.

2 Connecticut Warblers were found in the Miami area yesterday, one at Bill Baggs State Park and the other at AD Barnes park.

Last edited:
2 more Connecticut Warblers were found at Hugh Taylor Birch State Park but there was no news on the Bahama Mockingbird.

A Purple Sandpiper was still lingering on the jetty at Ponce Inlet yesterday. A late record.

Connecticut Warblers still present at Bill Baggs State Park and A D Barnes Park in the Miami area. Connecticut Warbler is a scarce annual spring migrant to Florida, (much rarer in the fall). The majority are found in South Florida. Please send us one Carlos!

The much anticipated pelagic trip out of Ponce Inlet, Volusia County yesterday produced the following rarities; Red-billed Tropicbird (1), White-tailed Tropicbird (1), and several Black-capped Petrels. The trip ventured out as far as 100 miles off the Florida coast. For a full report of yesterdays pelagic click the following link
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/FLAB.html#1305489657

several Connecticut Warblers were seen around the state this weekend continuing the excellent spring for this species in Florida. Lori Wilson Park, Pinellas County, Richardson Park, Hugh Taylor Birch State Park and A D Barnes Park all had Connecticut's today.

There have been lots of Connecticut Warblers in Florida the last few days. Hugh Taylor Birch State Park looks like the best site to see this beautiful warbler in Florida this spring.

Andy I may try HTB park this weekend. Any idea where in the park I should look?

Here are the directions to a female posted on Tropical Audubon's bird board a couple of days ago, "The Connecticut Warbler was feeding on the ground along the section of old railroad grade that runs between the Scenic Drive and Lake Helen 50 to 60 yards south of the point where it crosses the Scenic Drive which is on the right a little past the fire hydrant a few hundred yards north of the south picnic area parking."

Four were found on trails in the eastern portion of the park but no specific details on where, exactly.

I would go before the weekend, these birds will leave as soon as the wind turns to the south!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back