• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have a California Quail in my garden South Lincolnshire (1 Viewer)

Hi, I'm newcomer here and I just thought I would post my first unusual bird sighting in my garden. For the past 5 days I've seen and heard what I now know to be a California Quail, male i think!

How do I post pictures of it walking around my home duck pond?,thanks.

Here's a couple of pictures taken this evening from my back garden duck pond. I think that it must be an escapee from someone's aviary. anybody know of anyone in the Long Sutton/Sutton Bridge area of south Lincolnshire missing one of these birds?
Sat on duck pond fence post.JPG
Walking around my duck pond.JPG

Last edited:
Nice shots mate - where's the albino Dodo in the foreground come from?;)

Laurie:t:

It's commonly known in the bird world as an Aylesbury duck, she started off as one of a number of egg's purchased locally and then incubated and hatched at home several years ago by my wife using an incubator off ebay!;).

Definitely an escapee. Despite being limited naturally to the west of North America, it seems to do well in other places as long as we take it there. I think there are populations that are now self sustaining in New Zealand, South America and Corsica as well. Maybe England next??

Definitely an escapee. Despite being limited naturally to the west of North America, it seems to do well in other places as long as we take it there. I think there are populations that are now self sustaining in New Zealand, South America and Corsica as well. Maybe England next??

Been tried several times, I think, and all failed.

I will observe this bird as it seems to be very happy at the moment scooting between my garden duck pond and the local trees and farmland. I have 3 acres of wooded areas and garden and each day you can hear it's very distinct call in the area. This morning it's been going non-stop.

Does anybody know if I should leave any food out for it as it seems to put in an appearance around early evening each day at my duck pond. For the first time yesterday I was able to get up close and take a few pics, hence me being on this forum, and if so, what type of food?

They like chicken scratch . I am up to my eyebrows in them right now . they nest all over my place and are also escapees from a nearby quail incarceration facility more commonly known as a game farm . The males make a lot of racket when calling for females challenging other males and sounding the alarm on potential threats.

They are fun to watch and they certainly do have a lot of personality. Congrats and quail out !

Sincerely

Corvidear

They like chicken scratch . I am up to my eyebrows in them right now . they nest all over my place and are also escapees from a nearby quail incarceration facility more commonly known as a game farm . The males make a lot of racket when calling for females challenging other males and sounding the alarm on potential threats.

They are fun to watch and they certainly do have a lot of personality. Congrats and quail out !

Sincerely

Corvidear

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I must admit it is quite a character to watch. it seems to be a very inquisitive bird and not shy of other birds around it.o:)

Generally speaking , your bird escaped from a facility so it is use to a coupe . The quail I have here go into my chicken coupes at night and enjoy the safety it offers and the heat from the lamps I run in the winter. If you have a coupe not being used it will attempt to enter it sooner or later .

My quail are accustom to me closing the door to the coups at night and opening it to let them out the following morning during the winter months . During nesting and rearing season they do not utilize the coupes unless they are seriously injured and not on nests or with chicks.

Got one male called gimpy that was shot during hunting season years ago living here. He ends up baby sitting every one else,s chicks during breeding season each year because he is such a good guardian .
California quail really are very amazing in their behaviors and abilities.

Sincerely
Corvidear

Generally speaking , your bird escaped from a facility so it is use to a coupe . The quail I have here go into my chicken coupes at night and enjoy the safety it offers and the heat from the lamps I run in the winter. If you have a coupe not being used it will attempt to enter it sooner or later .

My quail are accustom to me closing the door to the coups at night and opening it to let them out the following morning during the winter months . During nesting and rearing season they do not utilize the coupes unless they are seriously injured and not on nests or with chicks.

Got one male called gimpy that was shot during hunting season years ago living here. He ends up baby sitting every one else,s chicks during breeding season each year because he is such a good guardian .
California quail really are very amazing in their behaviors and abilities.

Sincerely
Corvidear

That is really fascinating insight into your quails. I have a cat pen outside on my back lawn near the duck pond, and this California Quail has also been sitting on top of it on a few occasions. My wife thought he might have thought is was his own aviary pen back home, from wherever he came from. I will leave the door open and see if he will go inside, obviously I will make sure the cat is not about!:cat:

My guess is in the choice of battered fried heron you would find the flavor of waste pond carp served raw more appealing to the taste buds and certainly more tender. waders tend to cook up somewhat like old leather from all I have been told by those that tried it back during the depression in the U.S .

Corvidear

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back