• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL 8.5X42 Non HD (1 Viewer)

SuperDuty

United States
A fellow has these listed as Non HD. Could they be anything other than the EL 8.5X42 SV Model 34108 in production up until last year ?

Thanks
Robert

Attachments

• s-l400 (2).jpg
    s-l400 (2).jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 318
  • s-l400 (1).jpg
    s-l400 (1).jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 197
A fellow has these listed as Non HD. Could they be anything other than the EL 8.5X42 SV Model 34108 in production up until last year ?

Thanks
Robert

I guess not,
Swaro does not talk about HD in their high-end product it seems,
rather than "The crystal-clear optics provided by SWAROVISION technology"
only for the SLC:s HD it is mentioned.
Perhaps HD is a bit outdated, since everyone using it nowadays.
So I guess you could say they are non-HD.

Last edited:
It's an SV, hence it has ED/HD glass. I think Vespo is right: the days of touting HD glass are just about over.

It's like saying a car has radial tires.

Mark

Swarovski has always had different terms for their coatings and I always found it confusing. I don't know which one would be equivalent to HD.

Bob

So in everyone's opinion these have to be the EL 8.5X42 SV ?

Well, I am with everybody who has posted that it is a Swarovski EL SV (Swarovision).

I suspect the seller got confused with the SLC line. The prior SLC line was referenced as SLC WB HD. The new replacement line (without the close focus) dropped the HD part, even though is is basically the same optically as the previous line.

I thought you already had an 8.5X42 EL SV.

I do.

Well, I am with everybody who has posted that it is a Swarovski EL SV (Swarovision).

I suspect the seller got confused with the SLC line. The prior SLC line was referenced as SLC WB HD. The new replacement line (without the close focus) dropped the HD part, even though is is basically the same optically as the previous line.

Thanks for the info, that makes sense. I do have a pair, if the price is right maybe two.:eek!::-O

I ended up with these for $900, needless to say I'm very happy.|=)|

Attachments

• IMG_20160206_001135_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20160206_001135_hdr.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 305
Hi James

I still don't get it, they were listed in a buy it now for $1300-best offer format, I threw out what I thought was a crazy number and it was accepted. They were made in 2010, have perfect lenses, and a clean serial #. The focus knob action is a little grabby and gritty, but not nearly as much as I have felt with some other used SVs. I'll never get this lucky again.

That's a phenomenal price for an SV, the lowest I think I've seen.

If the focus knob is grabby and sticky send them to SONA. I sent mine there with a similar problem and they came back just like new. They fixed the focus knob and replaced the armor cleaned all the lenses. they came back looking brand new. Call them to get a repair number and send them in!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back