• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon WX anyone? (1 Viewer)

No.

And sort of.

Sure I'd like to have the 10x version but I'm not willing to pay for it.
It's one of the ultimate boutique optical items, with it's quite limited mission, weight, and high cost.

Last edited:
The reason I ask.....

Is the WX the best binocular ever made that is available to the consumer? I guess it IS? The size of that AK prism....just WOW! The FOV is pretty awesome too and supposed to be sharp edge to edge. The 10X is all but unavailable now as far as I can tell. B&H actually has the 7X for about $4500 which relatively speaking IS a good price! I don't see anyone with a 10X that is ACTUALLY in stock. I kinda like the 7X anyway.....

I know it's heavy and IF. I agree with Kevin that for ME at least, it is kind of a boutique item....and I'm not really sure how I would appreciate it any more looking at the night sky than I would an SV 10X50.

But the fact that it IS probably the best binocular SO FAR, certainly does give it a certain panache.

Hi Chuck,

The Swiss Nikon store lists both models currently as „in stock“, see

https://store.nikon.ch/token/--categories<{_NIK_sportoptics_category}--/grid/priceDesc;0;30

although their prices are among the highest I have ever seen for the WX.

Much has been written about the WX, some of it controversial. Here are some of my thoughts, fwiw:

- a 7x50 or 10x50 binocular that costs more than twice as much as the next most expensive same size premium model will perhaps always stir some controversy („who are these ultra rich guys who can afford such a luxury?“)

- whether the WX is the „best binocular ever made“ I don‘t know - I think there was a time when some very nice wide-angle binoculars with even more FOV were on the market (even if their edge sharpness may not have been that great). But in a number of respects (above all: edge sharpness combined with wide FOV), the WX is in my experience the best binocular currently available. In some other respects, however, the WX is no competition for other premium binos (too heavy, too big, useful only for a limited number of applications)

- the WX is the result of Nikon‘s corporate culture that allowed 3 optical and technical experts to create, for Nikon‘s 100 year anniversary, a binocular that would beat all the others on the market in terms of FOV, sharpness (esp. off-axis), contrast and probably also CA, irrespective of the development cost involved, the size and weight of the bino, and the saleability of such an instrument (I wonder whether any of the European premium makers would today allow their R&D departments to create a new model that they knew in advance would never return a profit)

- the WX is an excellent demonstration of the fact that you cannot ignore or overcome the laws of optics, and that optical instruments are ALWAYS the result of a number of compromises. There is a price for the excellent performance characteristics of the WX - size, weight, huge eyepieces, and transmission numbers (in the high 80 percent range, whereas premium models today tend to be in the mid 90 percent) due to the sheer amount of glass involved. Even after more than 100 years of binocular development, you cannot have WX - like performance in a body the size of a Papilio

- I personally prefer the 7x over the 10x model in daytime use, because of the even more impressive „immersion experience“ you get with the 7x. If you have a chance to mount the 7x on one of the top floors of a high rise building and panning over the city, this will give you the most flight-like experience you will ever have with a binocular. The 10x on the other hand is more impressive under the night sky because of its greater „reach“, however: don‘t mount it side-by-side with an EL SV 10x50, or you will not love your Swaro any more (at least for a moment, until you realize that the EL SV with its clearly narrower FOV is actually the much more versatile instrument in practical terms) :)

- in a way, due to the limited number of applications for which the WX is an outstanding instrument, it is not really a competition for other premium binoculars. It IS kind of a luxury - maybe that‘s what you mean when you use the term „boutique“. If you happen to live in a „place with a view“ (ocean-side, high-rise building, mountain top), the WX may be a wonderful tool, and the individual focusing is not an issue. The same is true for astronomy, esp. panning the milky way or star fields on general. The limitation here is that you can only really use the WX mounted, in contrast to other 7x or 10x binoculars

Again, as I mentioned, my 2 ct fwiw. For a review of both models, I recommend Holger Merlitz‘ website.

Canip

I do have the 10x50 and do not regret the extreme (to me) investment involved in its purchase. Do not ask me about what to use it for. Every view is a celebration of visual observation. This afternoon, if the rain stops, I will go out for a long walk and I am going to carry that heavy beast, just to enjoy the views it offers, and I don't even care about what I am going to see. There is a kind of addiction involved - dangerous stuff :)

Cheers,
Holger

I think for true connaisseurs it's justified to spend so much on a binocular. You will value and enjoy it for tens of years and that's worth it.

I like that Nikon created something like the WX to stand out and to show what is possible. Astronomy is not my main use, more daylight and terrestrial. But I hope other manufacturers do more flagship products like this as well. To much seems to be mainstream these days. Mainstream sizes, mainstream assembly lines, just the marketing is different.
Almost takes the fun out of it and makes landmark products like this so enjoyable. I hope one day I can look through one for a minute or two.

Last edited:
I really want this binocular and might have to get one. I use to own the Nikon 20x120 III for astronomy and it was just incredible. It would be tough to pick which magnification though without comparing them side by side. 7 would be nice for daytime and 10 for astronomy I think. Just buy the 7x and the 10x. That would be the ticket. 🤔

I have access to the 10X, a friend of mine owns one, and it is primarily used for the night sky, however if the sky is not fully transparent, the Swaro EL 12X50/or the 15X56 SLC is the preferred instrument. While the FOV is immersive and very wide, it is a 10X, and is most enjoyed under very dark skies to appreciate, IMHO. It is limited for daytime use because of the weight/IF. If they offered it in a higher mag, say 15X, it might have more demand, but primarily as a astro device.

I have no interest in the 7X.

Andy W.

Your right. You are better off with a smaller exit pupil with higher magnification instrument when you have a lot of light pollution also. I must admit the 562 foot FOV of the Nikon 7x50 WX WITH sharp edges is intriguing! But an AFOV of 67 degrees isn't that big really when there are a lot of binoculars that are 63 degrees and better. I wish Chuck would buy one and tell us all if he likes it. B&H has an easy return policy if you decide they are going to send you to the chiropractor.

Last edited:
Thanks Canip and Holger for your usage reports! Both of you make it hard to keep saying "no." Canip must want me to but both!

If I got one it would probably be the 7X. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe B&H's price is about $1200 off what they originally sold for. Not likely any manufacturer will beat the effort put into a binocular in my lifetime.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back