• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip reports...? (1 Viewer)

I have no issue attaching 5 images per post on Birdforum, so at the end of my report I just add extra posts with the images. I usually only have to add 3 extra as I rarely have more than 15 images.

I have no issue attaching 5 images per post on Birdforum, so at the end of my report I just add extra posts with the images. I usually only have to add 3 extra as I rarely have more than 15 images.

Not to posts, to the galleries

Gallery guidelines state just 3 posts per person per day

'Postings are limited to THREE in a 24 Hour period. This is because submissions by occasional posters are getting swamped by large numbers of photos from a single member so that the thumbnails are disappearing from view before everyone has had opportunity to view them'

that's answered my Q anyway.

Anyone familiar with surfbirds may have seen that we often post e.g 20 images per day when we return from a trip.

.........Andy

Last edited:
To be honest I find uploading images on here to accompany my trip reports to be rather time consuming compared to other forums I use. That might be putting off people from posting..

I agree on that one.I simply post a link to my Blog which for me has the benefit of being in control of it's destiny. I have used other sites to write reports on only for the web site to fold and my report with it. I also like to show as much of my report in a pictorial way with a little text in between. You can't do that on Birdforum.
I guess my objective with a report is two fold 1) to help others in return for the information I have gleaned from reading reports 2) as a personal diary to look back on in years to come.
As far as commercial reports, I'm always interested to see where the itinerary takes them so as to help plan my own. More often than not I'm staggered at the cost some trips demand and I'm surprised anyone is prepared to pay the amount demanded but I do understand that some feel more comfortable in a group, particularly to foreign places.
I do try to give a bit of logistical information too, particularly on cost because to most of us it's a major consideration.
I think a list of birds has a limited value but can be worthwhile I guess. You can't guarantee that what was there last time will still be there on the next visit.
As for Jos Stratford's reports, he goes places the rest of us wouldn't so that's of huge interest to the less intrepid explorer like me!

I planned my recent Malaysia trip initially on the BirdQuest trip report. Yes it was fairly useless from a logistical point of view but it gave me an idea of the number of days to spend at each site and an idea of what I might fine. Yes, I had to do some more digging for more informative gen but it was a good starting point. Also the precise co-ordinates given in some reports are not particularly helpful when they are a couple of years old and you are in the forest where birds move.

Additionally, it was a pleasure to be able to find some sought after species like Great Argus and Chestnut-winged Cuckoo that had not been seen at all on recent BirdQuest trips. I also took pleasure in seeing only about 15 less species than the standard BirdQuest itinerary, while saving over £2000 on the cost!

Andy,

the only remedy and therapy is to keep writing good reports with all the gen and practical stuff, and spread them on the internet. ;-)

A good report should have the following:
1. A general idea about the aim of travel, the experience of birding in nearby countries / areas previous to the trip, and the cost of the trip.
This is the best way to know what to expect from the report, given the reader's aims / budget / experience.

2. descriptions how to get to the birding sites, indications of travel time, and a travel schedule;
This is especially useful while using public transport. It helps in preparing a realistic schedule.

3. contact info of hotels / lodges / guides / rental companies / drivers / and of course your own email adress
Especially for destinations where some preparation from home could come in useful (e.g. to reserve some Amazonian lodges, birding hotels, guides that are often fully occupied...

4. site descriptions / target birds / missed species / + info on how to find those target birds + GPS
Mention the trails you birded on, what you searched for, what you searched but didn't find, stake-outs / fruiting trees / gullies / etc. And no crap about "woow we saw that bird but I can't tell where because it gives my guide an edge". If so, don't write a report. Just be cautious with endangered birds that are subject to trapping and hunting (e.g. only provide GPS through email).

5. factors influencing the succes/failure of birding (traffic, entrance fees, restrictions, permits, weather)
Some things are awfully expensive, some days traffic is awfully bad, some days are rained out, some places require luck to get there early morning. Mention this.

6. Annotated trip lists, especially some info on good species.
Annotated trip lists are very useful if you had a good trip with keen birders. In this way, you have a better understanding of what birds are really possible to see (or not to see) in a certain area.
e.g. if a die-hard group of 4 experienced birders didn't see a quite common species in a certain area, and you are visiting that area with the assumption that you are going to see that bird... -> chances will be low.
if a single unexperienced traveller didn't see that species in that area, maybe you will succeed.

7. Optional:
daily log, pictures, self-drawn maps
A daily log can be useful, but only if it provides an indication of time schedule during the day. Pictures can be useful (especially from accomodation, landscape, landmarks). Maps are very handy for some trails without any good google maps coverage (less so these days)

last but not least:
The most important thing to keep in mind when writing a report:
write it for the one who reads it (as if you were going there and needed all that info)!
It takes some time and experience to write good reports in this way...
I am still struggling, but I hope I am improving with every report (currently writing one on C-Peru).

Andy,

the only remedy and therapy is to keep writing good reports with all the gen and practical stuff, and spread them on the internet. ;-)

A good report should have the following:
1. A general idea about the aim of travel, the experience of birding in nearby countries / areas previous to the trip, and the cost of the trip.
This is the best way to know what to expect from the report, given the reader's aims / budget / experience.

2. descriptions how to get to the birding sites, indications of travel time, and a travel schedule;
This is especially useful while using public transport. It helps in preparing a realistic schedule.

3. contact info of hotels / lodges / guides / rental companies / drivers / and of course your own email adress
Especially for destinations where some preparation from home could come in useful (e.g. to reserve some Amazonian lodges, birding hotels, guides that are often fully occupied...

4. site descriptions / target birds / missed species / + info on how to find those target birds + GPS
Mention the trails you birded on, what you searched for, what you searched but didn't find, stake-outs / fruiting trees / gullies / etc. And no crap about "woow we saw that bird but I can't tell where because it gives my guide an edge". If so, don't write a report. Just be cautious with endangered birds that are subject to trapping and hunting (e.g. only provide GPS through email).

5. factors influencing the succes/failure of birding (traffic, entrance fees, restrictions, permits, weather)
Some things are awfully expensive, some days traffic is awfully bad, some days are rained out, some places require luck to get there early morning. Mention this.

6. Annotated trip lists, especially some info on good species.
Annotated trip lists are very useful if you had a good trip with keen birders. In this way, you have a better understanding of what birds are really possible to see (or not to see) in a certain area.
e.g. if a die-hard group of 4 experienced birders didn't see a quite common species in a certain area, and you are visiting that area with the assumption that you are going to see that bird... -> chances will be low.
if a single unexperienced traveller didn't see that species in that area, maybe you will succeed.

7. Optional:
daily log, pictures, self-drawn maps
A daily log can be useful, but only if it provides an indication of time schedule during the day. Pictures can be useful (especially from accomodation, landscape, landmarks). Maps are very handy for some trails without any good google maps coverage (less so these days)

last but not least:
The most important thing to keep in mind when writing a report:
write it for the one who reads it (as if you were going there and needed all that info)!
It takes some time and experience to write good reports in this way...
I am still struggling, but I hope I am improving with every report (currently writing one on C-Peru).

This sounds more like a guide book than a trip report. Maybe if a few people got together with such reports for different places you could actually sell them as a book!
My trip reports are designed more to give a flavour of the trip with some ideas on where to go. Try one and see, any suggestions for improvement more than welcome. There are more recent ones on my blog listed below.
cheers Dave

each their own I guess.
And if e.g. a good bird finding guide exists, there is maybe less of a need to write site descriptions etc.
In fact, if any of the 7 points I mentioned are covered well, the report has value. If none have been covered, the report is pretty useless... That's how I see it.

edit: where I said 'value', I mean value for using it by other birders. of course, a report can have value if just for the one who wrote it, or for the joy of reading!

Last edited:
each their own I guess.
And if e.g. a good bird finding guide exists, there is maybe less of a need to write site descriptions etc.
In fact, if any of the 7 points I mentioned are covered well, the report has value. If none have been covered, the report is pretty useless... That's how I see it.

Don't read my reports then... Well read them just don't 'grade' them...

There used to be a guy in the UK who made a living from selling other people reports before the internet took over.

For me, the preparation for a trip including the reading of good independent reports is part of the process and enables me to get familiar with places as well as birds and I actually enjoy writing a report at the end of it all, not all will, I know that.

We travel with a laptop these days so I usually write a daily account each night and then at the end of the trip it is simply a matter of collating daily sightings in to a more condensed list for ease of reference.

Most independents who use guides for certain tricky species end up finding and using the guides that the companies use anyway thus saving a significant amount of money. I for one far prefer putting a bit of money in at the root of the local economy in this way.

Andy

Also worth bearing in mind that things can change pretty quickly, so even if there are lots of good fairly recent reports for a certain country/area, YOUR report from this year, and what you experienced logistically and birdwise, may still be really useful to others :t:

Being an independent birder myself, I also find the ratio commercial / non-commercial reports rather biased in the commerical direction. I do agree that commercial reports are often just a nice listing of what they have seen, including stunning images. It can also serve as an extra service and 'souvenir' for the clients that were on that trip. From a commercial point of view it therefore makes sense that these companies and tour operators write up all these reports. Independent birders tend do be less interested to come up with a report afterwards.

When preparing a trip, I do use these commercial reports for some specific things as getting a quick and general idea on time spent per site, timing of your trip and for notes on the recent taxonomy. They are also very good teasers and make me want to take time off and go birding. Aside from some site guides, most of the useful info comes from the decent independent reports.

On the CloudBirders website all reports are categorized into 3 rough classes: independent, local travel agent, and bird tour company. In the filter section you can click on 'show more filters' and select the group(s) you want to see. That way it is very easy to filter out all these commercial reports if not interested.

Another way of selecting the better and more informative reports is by using the rating system. Theses reports should get higher ratings and by clicking on the 'rating' column header you can sort the reports on it. We warmly invite all users to make use of this system! If everybody gives a bit of input it should be possible to find your way through the massive repository (almost 15.000!) of all kinds of reports...

When looking for information on a specific (less frequented) birding site, or species, the free text search box can help you out.

For the moment BirdForum isn't covered that well by CloudBirders as these are somewhat scattered over the forum and spread out over multiple pages. It takes quite some time to sort everything out and bundle the metadata - a pity as there are very decent reports hosted here.

It would be great if everybody could submit the links to or pdf versions of their BirdForum posts to CloudBirders!

Keep on birding, writing, posting and rating! :)

Hans

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back