• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumnwatch 2018 (1 Viewer)

That’s been known since the end of Springwatch, when Chris Packham and Co announced that. I’m not to keen on Autumnwatch going to New England as I would prefer Autumnwatch to be in the UK as usual.
Ian.

I agree Ian - I have no affinity with New England flora & fauna I'm afraid. Would much rather they stuck to the UK.

Have to say I don't understand that mentality. Nature is amazing wherever it is, and by holding it where they are it'll hopefully reduce their reliance on our more overused species. Would yet another covering of the red deer rut really be more interesting?

I think it's to do with the concept that it was UK based. Species of wildlife you could hopefully see and hear if you were able to travel the length and breadth or just in your back garden.
Also that the various locations and outside broadcasts reflected the variety and geographic diversity of the UK.
Also, as mentioned, only so many items about kingfishers, barn owls and red deer ruts before it gets "tired".
Hence travelling and bringing some new species and locations to us from the New World. What to expect?
I'll kick off with Moose, raccoons, brown bears and bald eagle as articles. All based from a log cabin scenario surrounded by a palette of autumnal coloured sycamores, aspen and birch.

I think it's to do with the concept that it was UK based. Species of wildlife you could hopefully see and hear if you were able to travel the length and breadth or just in your back garden.
Also that the various locations and outside broadcasts reflected the variety and geographic diversity of the UK.
Also, as mentioned, only so many items about kingfishers, barn owls and red deer ruts before it gets "tired".
Hence travelling and bringing some new species and locations to us from the New World. What to expect?
I'll kick off with Moose, raccoons, brown bears and bald eagle as articles. All based from a log cabin scenario surrounded by a palette of autumnal coloured sycamores, aspen and birch.

I agree that the UK version was becoming tired, samey and unfortunately the idea of a complete refresh with lesser known species replacing the over-used ones seems to be beyond the team.

Some of us have been advocating going further afield for some time and since I guess during the throes of Brexit the idea of Falsterbo and other European hotspots was probably not favoured, New England's legendary autumn colours and species such as North American Porcupines, Black Bears (no Griz in New England I suspect) and perhaps some late/previously filmed North American passerine migration will be marvellous.

Anyone not watching will miss out on a treat.

John

I also find it weird wildlife enthusiasts would shun the programme just because it's coming from outside the UK! Looking forward to it!

If they are doing It from foreign lands,perhaps some place In Europe would have been better.At least some viewers may know the area already or would be prompted to visit after watching the programme.

I doubt watching North American wildlife,shall see a rush of bookings to visit the area.I do enjoy watching wildlife on TV but this series,shall not be on my; "Not To Be Missed" list.

If they are doing It from foreign lands,perhaps some place In Europe would have been better.At least some viewers may know the area already or would be prompted to visit after watching the programme.

I doubt watching North American wildlife,shall see a rush of bookings to visit the area.I do enjoy watching wildlife on TV but this series,shall not be on my; "Not To Be Missed" list.

I rather suspect the decision to move to USA rather than than a European location was financial. No doubt there is a sales market for this type of high quality wildlife programming in the USA but not in non-English speaking European countries. Looking forward to it myself though.

Was rather good thought I wasn't going to like it but found it interesting

Agree Euan, it was better than I was expecting.

I'm actually glad they're doing something a little different. Whilst it's great promoting British wildlife, the last couple of series of both AW & SW were getting a bit samey.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back