• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (2 Viewers)

Had a twitch up north yesterday, got meself 2 lifers hehe :t:

BonapartesGull016edited.jpg

WilsonsPhalerope001.jpg

Counted 102 red legged partridge in 1 field north of Whitby yesterday with as many again in the surrounding fields. Never seen anything like it, are these birds being released for hunting or is this normal?

There's a farm not too far from where I live and they feed RL partridge and pheasant which result in large numbers ready for shooting. Haven't seen that kind of number but they are birds that were brought here especially for hunting.

There's a farm not too far from where I live and they feed RL partridge and pheasant which result in large numbers ready for shooting. Haven't seen that kind of number but they are birds that were brought here especially for hunting.

Never heard of birds being transported before :eek!: did some beating in the Dales to earn a few bob a while back. The pen-reared pheasants were so stupid that they didn't fly and had to be picked up and thrown...

Never heard of birds being transported before :eek!: did some beating in the Dales to earn a few bob a while back. The pen-reared pheasants were so stupid that they didn't fly and had to be picked up and thrown...

What's the point, I will never be pro-hunting but I do understand some of the argument of those who are. Shooting a tame pheasant/partridge however I don't understand at all.

I know that feeling Simmo. Have forgotten so many things that I've forgotten what I was trying to remember. And the classic. Walking into a room and then thinking 'what did I come in here for?'

Last edited:

They were introduced a few hundred years ago and have become widespread like the pheasant so there's no need to transport them just feed and encourage them to breed.

Popped over to Nosterfield late yesterday afternoon, only a couple of birders there, the tern was blogging around the lake and occasionaly been chased by gulls, it settled onto the pontoon after about 20 mins or so and was still roosting on it when i left, the crane also flew from somewhere at the other side of the lake and landed on the waters edge in front of the viewing screen , giving good views, The tern was another lifer for me too :t:

WhitewingedBlackTern005edited.jpg

CommonCrane001edited.jpg

Diggers went on site today in Kilnsea marking the start of the Environment Agency's habitat creation works. When they are done all we need is water to fill them

nice find Doc. The supercilium isn't very pronounced and doesn't contrast with the darker cheeks and crown found on larger hawks

Cheers Ken....but a bloody big bird this was! Makes me wonder, when at wykeham etc, someone calls Gos 1m away, even if onto it, how on earth do u tell them apart?

This..?girl, was approaching buzzard size, saw her her perched from miles off.Need to see Gos in my face before i can get anywhere near convincing myself about wykeham birds etc.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back