• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camouflage (1 Viewer)

Hi all those that do not want to be seen,I have just posted a request about expedency in trying to get that digishot,I suppose stopping by the verge in a red 4x4 ad getting out with shiny eqpmnt [digi gear I mean, you dirty lot] is going to spook the flock, suppose I shall have to dress up like the Royal Marines to get my shot??

MARTIN J

Got myself a real nice camo jacket from the shop in Holt but I put it down somewhere at home and can't find it now. I will have to wait until it moves and then I might spot it.....lol

Colin

realtree condoms

Kevin
I can see a problem looming if you want to use em outdoors lol. you'll never find em. then the army method will come into use.
Regards
Peter 3:) 8-P

Nigel, I always try to wear drab clothing i.e. dark green, brown, when birding. The problem is it can be a bit risky. Last autumn we were up in the hills checking out the migration, walking very quietly, keeping in the shadows, tring to blend in with the bushes etc. when we suddenly realised we were surrounded by hunters!! Now I don't know if you've ever seen the French hunter in all his splendour, tanked up on red wine and home made "eau de vie", armed to the teeth for wild boar, bullets not buckshot, I can tell you its not a pretty sight!! Despite it being public land, anybody armed only with bins is seen as a "bloody ecologist" ,communist, to put it mildly. "You nearly got shot" being the nicest remark we heard. The hunters round here dont bother wearing cammo, they line up the guns and get the dogs to drive them to the shooting posts. They all had on flourescent orange caps, think I'll have to get me one!!

Not sure about the rest of the world, but I think it's compulsory for hunters in the U.S. to wear dayglo patches on them (unless on private property?)...In the U.K. many gun users end up wearing highly visible yellow stripes down the side of their trousers!
Andy

All this talk of expensive camouflage, pop into any Army and Navy shop or better still any Army surplus stall on the market, and you'll pick up all the camouflage gear you'll ever need.

You can pick up all sorts of real bargains, and best of all, you don't just get our basic Army camouflage, you can usually pick up most of Nato's uniforms as well,.

They also sell great waterproofs.

Well I admit I went to the SOF convention once to see the models in their Camo Bikinis. They blended with no thing and no one. Felt very adolescent actually. 8-P

camo on the cheap

real tree is the biz no getting from it.
BUT
i had a great deal of trousers £6. Jacket £6. used German flecta pattern so a great deal. it is pretty bramble proof too so you dont get stung if you really go off track looking.
try http://members.lycos.co.uk/maz_detecting/main.htm
nice people to deal with but ring them as the email is not up to much.

all the best & have fun

:t:

Hi all

I have just been reading all the posts & you might find this website interesting www.realtree.com click on dealer search & here you will find all the uk stockists.Hope this helps.

If you are after "Realtree" clothing contact Garlands in Staffordshire, they are a UK distributor of it.

I know that Simon King contacted the original distributor for the UK, when they were based in Dorset, and before it was passed to Garlands. Garlands are now a UK distributor and can be contacted on 01827 383 300

They will be able to tell you your nearest stockist (UK & ROI only)

Just found a good bargain in the camo gear,,, full suit JKT Trs Hood / balaclava at £49 all brand new. Cam is superflage and is an over your own gear cover.. so can go into banks! looking normal! and put on when needed.

So whgat do we all use??

The thread has been interesting, to say the least. And as a tight fisted old BGR I refuse to pay some of the prices stores are asking for the kit. So as ever I searched around for a cheap alternative, At a local toy shop a dome tent in a Disruptive pattern plus fiber poles £12.99 , Leg of off an old pair of faded DPM keks and a bit of net courtesey of my lad produced the attached. Seems to work very well.
OH! I do have the obligatory real tree etc, but hides are very expensive a show special at Brandon on Sunday was £160 !!

Still I suppose it all depends on the level of comfort us oldies will put up with. Would be interesting to see us in our gear.

paul

Attachments

• dscn1323.jpg
    dscn1323.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 168
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back