• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trystan's world list 2019 (1 Viewer)

16/6/19

Horsey, Norfolk

Another trek back into Norfolk much sooner than I expected.

*328. (217.) Lesser grey shrike (1st UK)
344. (218.) Hobby

Titchwell

Not very optimistic about this one after my last visit but a 3 second flight view was enough

345. (219.) Purple heron

23/6/19

Wykeham

A long wait for three birds together, not performing spectacularly as last year.

346. (220.) Honey buzzard

Fairburn

347. (221.) Green sandpiper

07/7/19

Working on improving my UK butterfly list today, over the half way mark now. Called in at Rutland briefly. 6 ospreys on and around the nest.

349. (223.) Osprey

21/7/19

Disappointing day trying to improve my UK butterfly list but the weather not in my favour. Salvaged a year tick at least.

Leighton moss

350. (224.) Knot

28/7/19

Outrunning the weather by heading north east with a full car. Attempts to arrange a boat to the Isle of May for reported aquatic warbler proved futile as did trying to get to Coquet island for roseate terns.

Hartlepool

351. (225.) Rose ringed parakeet

Holy island

352. (226.) Pacific golden plover - 1st UK

This took some effort. Had to wait for the afternoon crossing to the island and eventually found the spot where birders had put a report out but were watching the wrong bird. Another promising candidate stubbornly refused to wake up and face us and it took a two our shift before it finally did get up and have a preen and a walk around. Thankfully, this time it was the right bird.

East Chevington

353. (227.) White winged black tern

Late news and connected in failing light to make the day feel more successful despite the long drive home as the rain finally caught up with us.

06/8/19

Did not expect to be getting another one of these in Yorkshire.

Mickletown

354. (228.) Little Bustard

10/8/19

Disappointing weekend, chasing and dipping both Pacific swift on Saturday and the Derbyshire chough on Sunday.

One year tick managed at least.

Hornsea mere

355. (229.) Little gull

26/8/19

After the last disappointing weekend out and family commitments last weekend, I really needed a good one this week and I wasn't disappointed.

Starting at Frampton, could happily have spent the day building up the wader count but also had designs on butterflies at Chambers woods so had to cut it short.

Frampton

356. (230.) Curlew sandpiper
357. (231.) Buff breasted sandpiper
358. (232.) Little stint

A successful trip to Chambers woods added Brown Hairstreak to my improving butterfly list. I was less optimistic about connecting with the female montagu's harrier being seen on and off at Blacktoft but sometimes things just go your way and after some nice marsh harrier activity, she decided to put in an appearance and coast slowly across the reedbed before being lost to view out East.

359. (233.) Montagu's harrier

01/9/19

Pretty mental day today.

Started by heading over to Spurn and after a brief wait, connected with the White rumped sandpiper.

With a car full, and news breaking of Eastern black eared wheatear in Lancashire, the decision was made to cross the country for it.

From my own observations, what I've read and other comments about this bird, I am firmly in the Pied wheatear camp on this bird and will record it as such provisionally here but stand to be corrected should new evidence come to light.

Either way it is a UK tick for me and it was a charming bird which seemed not overly keen on the blustery weather conditions.

Spurn

360. (234.) White rumped sandpiper - 1st Yorkshire

Pilling

361. (235.) Pied wheatear - 1st UK

While the debate has been to-ing and fro-ing on the Pied wheatear vs Black eared wheatear ID, I have been on a non-birding trip to China to walk about on the great wall.

I didn't expect a great deal of birds from the trip and indeed, both the quantity of species and availability of birding opportunity were limited, I came away with just over 50 species, unfortunately, only a handful were new to me but the trip itself was fantastic.

Beijing

---. (001.) Magpie
---. (002.) Tree sparrow
362. (003.) AZURE WINGED MAGPIE
363. (004.) Spotted dove

---. (005.) Night heron
---. (006.) Mallard
---. (007.) Feral pigeon

Huanghuacheng (Great wall)

---. (008.) Red rumped swallow
364. (009.) Large billed crow
---. (010.) Hobby
365. (011.) DAURIAN REDSTART

Huanghuacheng

---. (012.) Sparrowhawk

Mutianyu (Great wall)

366. (013.) JAPANESE TIT - quite confused by this complex, birds seen similar to cinereous tit seen previously but some green towards the neck consistent with this species and in accordance with distribution maps on wikipedia.
---. (014.) Willow tit
367. (015.) CHINESE NUTHATCH
368. (016.) SILVER THROATED BUSH TIT
369. (017.) JAPANESE WHITE-EYE
370. (018.) Yellow browed warbler
371. (019.) Grey capped pygmy woodpecker
372. (020.) MEADOW BUNTING

En route to Jiankou

---. (021.) Great white egret
373. (022.) Chinese pond heron
374. (023.) Little egret

Jiankou

375. (024.) STEJNEGER'S STONECHAT
376. (025.) Red billed magpie
---. (026.) Swallow

Gubeikou - Proved a useful birding spot with the river running along the western edge of town and the valley seemingly used as a migration route, most notably with a single osprey and good numbers of olive backed pipits.

377. (027.) EASTERN SPOT BILLED DUCK
378. (028.) LIGHT VENTED BULBUL
---. (029.) Grey heron
---. (030.) Kingfisher
379. (031.) Olive backed pipit
---. (032.) Little grebe

Jinshanling (Great wall)

---. (033.) Jay

Gubeikou

---. (034.) Moorhen
---. (035.) Collared dove
380. (036.) VINOUS THROATED PARROTBILL
381. (037.) GREY HEADED GREENFINCH
382. (038.) Black drongo
383. (039.) Oriental reed warbler
384. (040.) Grey headed woodpecker
---. (041.) Gadwall

Gubeikou

---. (042.) Marsh tit
---. (043.) Osprey

Gubeikou (Great wall)

385. (044.) PLAIN LAUGHINGTHRUSH
386. (045.) Arctic warbler
387. (046.) YELLOW BELLIED TIT
388. (047.) Black (eared) kite

Beijing

389. (048.) Taiga flycatcher

Beijing

---. (049.) Hoopoe
390. (050.) CRESTED MYNA
---. (051.) Blackbird
391. (052.) White's thrush - Think this is the right taxonomy for the area. 2 birds seen in the Temple of heaven grounds.
---. (053.) Great spotted woodpecker

Had a couple of good candidates for goshawk in the hills but let them go as there were plenty of sparrowhawks around. Some possible two barred warbler candidates but all the ones I got a good look at were clearly yellow browed warblers except one which was Arctic on call. One probably common buzzard in the hills but always away from me and couldn't rule out crested honey buzzard. Migration was clearly underway and now the I've done the tourist things, I'd love to go back to China to really concentrate on the birding at some point.

Last edited:

Given the run around by Yank waders today. Headed into Lancs for American Golden Plover, Red necked Phalarope and Pectoral sandpiper.

The former was not around in the morning so went to Marshside where the Red necked phalarope was showing well at least. Received negative news on the Pectoral sandpiper so after lunch, headed back to Lunt where there was also a possible Citrine wagtail. By this time, the Pectoral sandpiper had resurfaced an hour back in the wrong direction so we gave up on that one.

After a fruitless search for Citrine wagtail and AGP, in deteriorating weather we gave up and headed for home, only to find that the AGP came back later in the evening.

Not the best of days but at least there was one year tick along with 14 cattle egrets together!

Marshside

392. (236.). Red necked phalarope

My autumn finally underway after 2 weekends of poor weather and dipping the local long billed dowitcher twice, I finally connected today and even better, added yellow browed warbler to my swillington list.

Swillington

---. (237.) Yellow browed warbler

It was just as well that I did get the YBW yesterday as a UK year tick as I failed to find one in the poor weather at Spurn today. Having changed plans from heading to Southport with the regular yorkshire birdforum gang, at the last minute due to the arrival of a Red eyed vireo at spurn, we arrived in poor weather but connected quickly with the bird which was being watched by those already on site.

The day descended into relentless rain, but with a forecast suggesting it may start to clear later in the afternoon, stuck it out and at around 3, the rain reduced to a drizzle and those who had not abandoned the day were able to enjoy some nice afternoon birds.

200+ Siskins around the Crown and Anchor, SEO, Little gull, Merlin along with better views of the vireo in the failing light made for a great supporting cast, but the highlight of course was the Great snipe found on Beacon lane which managed to position itself in such a way that although awkward, could be viewed in turn by the crowd.

393. (238.) Red eyed vireo - 1st UK
394. (239.) GREAT SNIPE

Seems like a while since my year list got any attention but did pick up the Swillington red necked phalarope last week.

Very convenient of the Kentish plover to be so close to Middlesbrough as I was there for other reasons today anyway.

Redcar

---. (240.) Kentish plover - 1st Yorkshire

Very nice day at spurn, tainted only by the unnecessary trapping and ringing of the long staying bluethroat early in the morning. The bird was clearly distressed while being held, flapping furiously to get away while the photographers snapped it up and the ringer to have the audacity to ask photographers to delete those images!

Needless to say, after release it was not seen again. Hope it's not dead in a ditch. This is the second time I've seen this behaviour at spurn with Savis warbler lured in for ringing last year.

Aside from the most significant issue of stress to the bird, we were denied the opportunity to see (or dip) this bird naturally and others arriving later didn't see it at all.

Anyway, apart from that, a successful day with all main targets seen well and the dry weather holding out despite the forecast. In addition to the year birds below, other highlights were a YBW, redstart, black brant, brambling and merlin.

395. (241.) Bluethroat - with all of the above, it wouldn't even be on my list if I'd needed it as a UK or Yorks tick.
396. (242.) Pallas's warbler
397. (243.) Shorelark

Flamborough

Upgraded my awful views of Hume's warbler from Warwickshire a few years back to excellent views of two showy Hume's warblers at Flamborough and Bempton.

Unfortunately, the sea watching was awful compared to previous days this week so there was nothing else to add.

398. (244.) Hume's warbler - 1st Yorkshire

Had a local run and eventually caught up with the Ring necked duck which has been moving round several lakes in the Winterset area.

Cold Hiendley reservoir

---. (245.) Ring necked duck

Not much expected from a long weekend in Kiev but with an excursion to the Chernobyl exclusion zone planned in, thought it was worth bringing along the bins. As it turned out, there were a couple of year ticks in amongst.

Kiev

---. (001.) Rook
---. (002.) Hooded crow
---. (003.) Feral pigeon

Kiev

---. (004.) Great tit
---. (005.) House sparrow
---. (006.) Blue tit
---. (007.) Magpie
---. (008.) Nuthatch
---. (009.) Mallard
399. (010.) Caspian gull
---. (011.) Black headed gull
---. (012.) Common gull
---. (013.) Great white egret - Collins bird guide says summer visitor but I found 2 along the river's edge which is perhaps not surprising given their expansion in the UK.

Chernobyl exclusion zone

---. (014.) Bullfinch
---. (015.) Jay
---. (016.) Mistle thrush
---. (017.) Long tailed tit (White headed)
400. (018.) Lesser spotted woodpecker
---. (019.) Great spotted woodpecker

Last edited:

Prestwick Carr

401. (246.) EASTERN YELLOW WAGTAIL

Langdon beck

402. (247.) Black grouse

Wonder if 250 in the UK is doable over the Christmas break.

In the end, too lazy to try get any additions and left them for the new year with Rough legged buzzard and firecrest saved for 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back