• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Buzzards eat game birds? (1 Viewer)

Providing cover in the pens can reduce the number lost dramatically

Indeed and since I do a bit of hunting myself the gamekeepers I know tell me only the occasional rogue sparrowhawk ever causes problems in this area and can dealt with by chicken wire and various scaring techniques. The only buzzard I have heard hanging around these pens was one that was attracted by the rodent infestation around the feed hoppers - the same reason various owl species also hang out in the vicinity of such installations

So whats the story??

Hi

I think you misread my post.

Depends on their seize/age when released - obviously the later the better which is i assume the whole purpose of having release pens in the first place. As the link I provided earlier suggests - less then 5% of losses are due to raptors, so why is so much hysteria and mouth foaming directed against these protected species by extreme elements when other factors are obviously far more important in shaping gamebird survival???. |^|

Dunno personally, although I suppose to a large shoot releasing 40,000 birds 5% = 2,000 birds with a commercial value of say £30+ each, £60k might be perceived to be a significant loss.

Dunno personally, although I suppose to a large shoot releasing 40,000 birds 5% = 2,000 birds with a commercial value of say £30+ each, £60k might be perceived to be a significant loss.

The averge according to the link is 1-2% - you maths is a bit wonky too given that you assume all the birds released will stay in the estate and/or be shot in a particular season!!

PS: Do you beleive that a handfull of large shoots should decide conservation policy in the UK to the extent that be allowed blow away any raptor who happens to be in the area?? - if the answer is yes then I assume you would also support the activities of the mafia behind the illegal trade in Rhino Horn and Tiger bones given that potential profits are being compremised for some by the protection of these species!!|^|

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with my maths, you quoted the "less than 5%" figure so I used 5%, perhaps you should have stated less than 2%....but then you appear to have the over-zealous exaggeration approach we so often see in these debates.

Your ps is hilarious too, but crack on :-O

As the link I provided earlier suggests - less then 5% of losses are due to raptors, |^|

The averge according to the link is 1-2% - you maths is a bit wonky too given that you assume all the birds released will stay in the estate and/or be shot in a particular season!!

PS: Do you beleive that a handfull of large shoots should decide conservation policy in the UK to the extent that be allowed blow away any raptor who happens to be in the area?? - if the answer is yes then I assume you would also support the activities of the mafia behind the illegal trade in Rhino Horn and Tiger bones given that potential profits are being compremised for some by the protection of these species!!|^|

Nothing wrong with my maths, you quoted the "less than 5%" figure so I used 5%, perhaps you should have stated less than 2%....but then you appear to have the over-zealous exaggeration approach we so often see in these debates.

Really - its your type that appear to view raptors as the source of all evil in the world:-O

PS: I think if you accounted for the vast numbers of vermin in the form of rodents,rabbits, fox cubs, corvids etc. that raptors remove from the British countryside every year you'd be talking about tens of millions of pounds of free pest control services to the agricultural sector alone!!:eek!: - but I guess some people just don't like facts/science and want to live in some sort of Victorian dark age instead|8||

I also prefer to deal with facts therefore perhaps you could kindly point out which of my posts, or part thereof, reflect a hatred for raptors....if you cannot then perhaps that might confirm an over-zealous,blinkered viewpoint on your part.

Thanks in advance....I'm sure I will have rather a long wait though......

Trust me, I am more aware then you with regard to the quarry base of raptors

Really - its your type that appear to view raptors as the source of all evil in the world:-O

- but I guess some people just don't like facts/science and want to live in some sort of Victorian dark age instead|8||

No, your "interpretation"of my posts has done so.

Still waiting.........:cat:

I also prefer to deal with facts therefore perhaps you could kindly point out which of my posts, or part thereof, reflect a hatred for raptors....if you cannot then perhaps that might confirm an over-zealous,blinkered viewpoint on your part.

Thanks in advance....I'm sure I will have rather a long wait though......

Maybe you do, but your postings so far in this thread would suggest otherwise:smoke:

The only thing I have learned from reading the last 9 posts is about human nature (albeit in text form rather than face to face). I thought this was a forum to share knowledge about birds.

I'm sorry Firecrest but you do seem to jump to unfounded conclusions about other people's experience.

Really.

I thought I was defending myself against foundless allegations from someone who does not know a thing about me based on his impression of my posts?????? Oh well, thats forums for you.

I also alluded to my experience with raptors which if Irish Kite was aware of he would not have made such ridiculous accusations. Nowhere have I questioned his/her experience, I merely expressed my opinion on his approach/attitude to the raptor persecution issue.

I'm sorry Firecrest but you do seem to jump to unfounded conclusions about other people's experience.

Oh dear, my fault I got myself involved! I really don't want to dent anybody at all. I just cannot tolerate any suggestion that hunting interests can come before raptor conservation and some of what I have read could maybe interpreted as being pro raptor control. Problem is, that the comments have been somewhat ambiguous and its not clear from them whether they support raptors or not.

Be good to re-kindle a more friendly and open attitude - I think that if hunters (who have a right to be here) believe that C. Buzzards or other raptors are causing problems, financial or otherwise, they should explain their convictions - otherwise many would suspect that they are pro raptor control.

ok Simon, apologies for ambiguity, I was merely playing Mr D Advocate.

I do not wish to reveal too much on this website given the zealous approach of some members. If I state that I am active in the studying of wild UK raptors, including trapping, radio-tracking and ringing as well as having a further interest in captive-bred raptors and come into regular contact with gamekeepers so have an understanding of the working game fieldsports estate would this allay any fears?

Or will some members be selective about this information and condemn me as a friend of the minority of raptor-killing game interests?

Rgds
F5

Last edited:
I would hope none of my posts suggested that I fell into this category.

Oh dear, my fault I got myself involved! I really don't want to dent anybody at all. I just cannot tolerate any suggestion that hunting interests can come before raptor conservation and some of what I have read could maybe interpreted as being pro raptor control. .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back