• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Abstract Bird (2 Viewers)

Thanks Nick, Paul.

Here's a new and much simpler one. Still combines lino, woodcut and reduction lino but I really concentrated on the black lines here with everything else secondary.

A couple of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers on a tree. Image is 4x6 inches and entire print is 7x9. Printed on Japanese Hosho paper.

Attachments

• ybSapsuckersLinoED071311.jpg
    ybSapsuckersLinoED071311.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 83
Thanks Nick, Paul.

A couple of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers on a tree. Image is 4x6 inches and entire print is 7x9. Printed on Japanese Hosho paper.

Seems extra-classy this one. It might be simplified/stylised overall, but at the same time that turned head on lower bird is very true in a bird-as-seen way.

This is a real gem, Ken...love the energy in the top bird and (it seems) curiosity in the lower. Great treatment which has added much to the already superb initial sketches!..

Thanks Ed, Nick. I think I just had some good poses to begin with and tried to let them dominate. If I could just come up with some more that are equally striking.

Well not exactly an avian subject, but close enough and a species named for a bird: The Hummingbird Clearwing Moth.

This is a combination woodcut and linocut with two reduction wood blocks and one linoleum block. 4x6 inches for image and 7x9 image for entire print. Edition of 12 on Rives Heavyweight paper.

Attachments

• hummingbirdMothEDC080213.jpg
    hummingbirdMothEDC080213.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 72
  • hummingbirdMothEDFull080213.jpg
    hummingbirdMothEDFull080213.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 69
Thanks all. Here is a reduction lino proof done on two blocks, the first one reduction, with many colors, and the second just black. It's about halfway done and this is a very rough proof.

This is based on a Rusty Blackbird seen this winter with a Carolina Wren singing in the background. By the time that it's done most of the black lines will be gone and I hope the black in the blackbird will be a bit more subtle.

Attachments

• rustyWrenBlackProof081413.jpg
    rustyWrenBlackProof081413.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 70
Thanks Nick and Sharon. Nice to hear from you Nick. I occasionally see your newest work on FB but miss the days when I saw it here. I suppose if I could ever convince myself to join FB that problem would go away and I'd see your work more frequently. Hope all is well.

Here's a later version of the Rusty Blackbird and Caronlina Wren lino. It's getting near the end but still needs a separate lino block that is mainly black to tie it altogether. At least that's the theory.

And for anyone who prefers more realistic work here's some recent field sketches of Green Heron preening, Red-tailed Hawk and Belted Kingfisher. I still thoroughly enjoy my field sketching even though I'm trying to be a bit more abstract in studio work.

Attachments

• rustyWrenLino082013.jpg
    rustyWrenLino082013.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 62
  • redTailKingfisherGHeronFS110447.jpg
    redTailKingfisherGHeronFS110447.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 70
Unless I decide to add a couple very small touches of green this complicated lino is done. Most of it is one reduction block where I keep printing a color then carving that area away, printing a new color, carving it way ad absurdum and one other lino block, which is where the black comes from.

The image itself is 4x6 inches and the print is 7x9 inches.

Rusty Blackbird and Carolina Wren at Manayunk Canal. Seen last January or February.

I did modify this image a bit on the computer because it was showing up with starker contrast between colors than is really there. I think this is pretty close to the real print.

Attachments

• rustyWrenLino082113.jpg
    rustyWrenLino082113.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 66
  • rustyWrenLinoFull082013.jpg
    rustyWrenLinoFull082013.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 75
Thanks Ed. I did intend to keep this one dark since that was the scene as I saw it and the Rusty Blackbird is a beautiful collection of dark colors. I used to hate dead reeds and weed stalks but like you I've come to see how incredibly useful they are.

Here's a new one, a bit different for me based on a startled Wood Duck and Green Heron that I saw about a month ago. At the time I couldn't see the deer. I assume that's what the duck was staring at. The deer of course is nowhere near as interesting as your recent mammal.

This is still a proof but it's pretty close to being done and printed as an edition.

Attachments

• deerHeronDucksProof083013.jpg
    deerHeronDucksProof083013.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 71
Thanks Paul. I think that there's probably less work here than you might think. I did spend some time trying to get the poses of deer and birds right, especially at such a small scale. But the background bamboo, which might look complicated actually wasn't once I determined a type of shorthand for it.

I'm between field sketches, watercolor sketches from photos in the field and a new lino. Here's a few small watercolor sketches from photos I've taken. The two flycatchers, Eastern Wood Pewee with dragonfly, and Least Flycatcher were seen over last few days. Hermit Thrush was about a year ago.

Attachments

• peweeDragonflyWC090813.jpg
    peweeDragonflyWC090813.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 64
  • leastFlycatcher090813.jpg
    leastFlycatcher090813.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 69
  • hermitThrushWC090213.jpg
    hermitThrushWC090213.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 67
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back