• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring Hunting Malta (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

The Maltese government have made an announcement that Spring Hunting will continue in 2008 as per their election promise. The full story can be read at:-

http://www.maltastar.com/pages/msfullart.asp?an=12312

So much for Stavros Dimas the E U Commissioner being confident that Spring Hunting will cease for ever.

I hope I can rely on your continued support to stop the slaughter.

Thank you.

Ann :storm: :storm: :egghead:

My e-mail of complaint this year was passed to a govt minister and that was it, no reply at all. My own protest is never to return to the island and to tell all of my friends (well, both of them) never to go. We need to hit them in the pocket, as ever.

Rob

Hi Folks,
Thanks for your support. Remember the government only stepped in after the devastation of the plantations and shooting the 100 or more rare birds at the same time. They had to be seen to do something or I like to think (trusting soul I am) that the E U would have acted and said "enough is enough" no more hunting ever. I have to believe the Commissioner and the EU Bird Directive, we have nothing else. Sorry I don't know how else to put that. I said the "ceasefire" was only temporary, sadly birds are still being shot daily with little action being taken. If it is now illegal why aren't they jailing and fining them, after all they did increase their penalties for "illegal hunting".

I for one won't be giving up and have again written to Dimas, I may not get answers but I will keep writing he has got to act one day, many EU citizens have had enough and I thought in a democracy (ha ha do we have one) majority rules. I know I am still naive but I believe in the laws, without them we have anarchy "go do what you like".

Sorry, you all know how I feel and I am doing all I can think of that is legal.

Rant over sorry.

Ann :-C :-C :storm: :storm: :egghead: :flyaway:

Last edited:
Don't apologise Ann, you're only voicing the opinions - frustrations too of us all. They make me positively sick to the stomach and how the blazes anyone can do that without their consciences being pricked I'll never know! Wouldn't it be good if we could arm the Birds though, what a thought eh!!!:frog:

We'll never give up Ann!:C

Sue.

Thanks Sue,

"Bird bombers" sounds a very good idea with modern technology laiser weapons are a possibility. Must get in touch with BAE or other weapons manufacturers.

Seriously I hope you are having a good weekend, the weather is dreadul but plenty of birds feeding at last.

Ann :egghead: :flowers:

"But Simon Busuttil was categorical also on his personal electoral pledges saying that clearly he was elected on the PN’s ballot with a clear promise to retain spring hunting."

I don't get it - if curtailing the hunting this year was a "vote-catching" decision, how was he elected on such pledges? And does he renew his "pledge" every year?

Am trying to get a feel for how the electorate in Malta feels about the whole thing.

Sorry about the bad news A Chaplin. If you are committed to this cause, then maybe you should try IFAW. (International Fund for Animal Welfare) They have the resources to inform and mediate international animal welfare concerns, and there's a local chapter in the UK you can contact. If they take this issue on, you can let us know when to lend a supporting hand.

Hi Pianoman,

What the Maltese government is unwisely doing is to try to please both the environmentalists and the hunters, which is like trying to do a balancing act in gale force winds, in the hope of not upsetting both sides as much as possible at least until elections next year.

The end result is that he is losing face with both, including the general neutral public about such indecisiveness.

Another case in point is the rumour that in the new National Park, he wants all interested environmental stakeholders to have a say in it, again to please both. That is both environmental NGOs and hunters. This means that hunters may be able to hunt in a National Park!!??

Now can you imagine serious environmental NGOs working with irresponsible hunters?? I can't..

Just a thought ... rather than boycotting the island, how about organising a mass twitch. If every birder who goes to Mallorca, Lesvos and other Mediterranean destinations all descended on Malta next spring there'd be no room for the hunters.

Hi,

Thanks for the contact I will look into it. I am heavily committed to this cause I always envied birds their freedom to fly where they want until I heard about Malta and joined Proact who are involved in the campaign to stop the slaughter too.

Ann

Malta's shame

Hi,

Thanks for the contact I will look into it. I am heavily committed to this cause I always envied birds their freedom to fly where they want until I heard about Malta and joined Proact who are involved in the campaign to stop the slaughter too.

Ann

I tell everyone why I won't consider going to Malta on holiday, and encourage them to think carefully before booking their holiday in the sun - anywhere but the George Cross island - shame on it. :C Perhaps this honour ought to be withdrawn?
I wrote to my MEP about the French slaughter in the Auvergne, using stone traps.........it came to precious little with a very defensive stance by the EU.
Typical!! If there are any petitions to sign Ann, count us in - Leonard is equally interested in trying to stop this mass slaughter.

A chance to do something really worthwile for the birds... details of BirdlifeMalta's Raptorcamp coming up soon. Watch this space... i'll keep you posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back