• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler sps Mt Charleston, NV - September 23, 2015 (1 Viewer)

lvcuer

Three years ago I took photos of this warbler and identified it as a Nashville Warbler. Tonight, reviewing the photos, (and with 3 years more birding experience) I am not certain that is a correct ID. I would be very interested in anyone else's opinion. All I have are these 2 photos. Thanks.

Attachments

• Dlv_1304_Warbler_sps.jpg
    Dlv_1304_Warbler_sps.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Dlv_1315_Warbler_sps.jpg
    Dlv_1315_Warbler_sps.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 99
You’re thinking Connecticut, I imagine? Certainly not a Nashville. . ..

What was the time of year?

Last edited:
Yes, admittedly, I was thinking Connecticut. Time of year was late September. But it's a rarity in Nevada. Thanks

Looks very like a Connecticut, but do you have any other photos? Something from the side that shows the relative lengths of the tail and undertail coverts might nail it down.

I've only seen a single Connecticut Warbler (briefly), however that bold "complete" contrasting eye-ring (is still indelibly etched). I believe this feature is strongly supportive of CW. Looking at the 2nd image which clearly shows where the overlying tertials end, might just suggest that the primary projection is much longer than the (fore-shortening) shows.

Cheers

After looking at several resources on the identification of Connecticut and similar warblers, I am still not entirely sure about the i.d. of this bird. Some aspects, particularly the pale supraloral line that this bird has, are said never to occur on Connecticut Warbler and would suggest it may be a Mourning Warbler. Whatever the case, I would encourage you to submit the sighting to the Nevada Bird Records Committee, which you can do at this site: https://www.gbbo.org/submit-sightings-1/. Both Connecticut and Mourning Warblers are very rare in Nevada and on their review list; I am sure they would be interested in your bird. At the least, you should get some more expert opinions on the identity of the bird.

Thank you for weighing in. I'm waiting to hear from a local Las Vegas birder who is also sharing the photos with friends. I've considered submitting it to the NBRC.

I am struggling to eliminate MacGillivray's Warbler from these images. I will admit the eye-ring looks pretty complete. However, it looks very bright yellow below and somehow the shape doesn't look right to me (not rotund enough or short-tailed) for Connecticut in the second image (though there is much to desire in regards to angle in that image).

Could someone provide some other strong evidence against MacGillivray's?

I am struggling to eliminate MacGillivray's Warbler from these images. I will admit the eye-ring looks pretty complete. However, it looks very bright yellow below and somehow the shape doesn't look right to me (not rotund enough or short-tailed) for Connecticut in the second image (though there is much to desire in regards to angle in that image).

Could someone provide some other strong evidence against MacGillivray's?

From Dunn and Garrett's A Field Guide to Warblers of North America "All MacGillivray's show evident white or whitish eye-arcs that are relatively thick and blunt, never forming a complete ring." I discounted MacG based on that - this bird has a pretty complete eye ring. Other features, such as the complete gray breast band do seem better for MacG, but may be possible for Mourning. Like, I suspect, most birders, I do not have much experience with all of these species, so I don't really know how to weigh the different characteristics.

Firstly, I've not seen Connecticut, but not for the want of trying. However, as one of my most wanted US birds and the last remaining warbler, I was always under the impression that Connecticut should exhibit very long undertail coverts which extend two-thirds of the length of the tail, giving a more rotund appearance, which this bird doesn't seem to show. Shape wise, is it not surely a better fit for Mourning or MacG? Certainly an interesting bird.

Stu

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back