• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somerset Birding (1 Viewer)

27 nov chard res

22 g c grebe

2 pochard but not 100% sure

20 teal

3 shoveler

1 longtail tit

3 coal tit

8 blue tit

29 comorant

30+ blackheaded gull

1 kingfisher took photo

6 coot

8 moorhen

5 robins

4 wood pigeon

2 great spotted woodpecker

1 blackbird

1 heron

Up at Clark's Village doing the dreaded Annual Ritual yesterday [nothing birdy to report other than some pesky Starlings doing a creditable Waxwing impersonation!], and came back via Ham Wall for the evening's show. The Starlings roosted on the south side of the railway line, eastern half of the reserve - the most sheltered area of reeds that didn't have shotguns going off around it... They didn't put on one of their most vintage performances, and the main flock stayed close to Glastonbury for most of the time, but still it was well worth the trip. Also, adult female and juvenile Marsh Harriers [the latter missing a right secondary but catching something small dark and furry - a water vole or maybe a small rat?], an adult female Sparrowhawk through fast, plenty of the usual commoner suspects - including lots of male Shoveler flying around, and a surprise Woodcock flying east over Ashcott Corner as a finale. :t:

4th Dec

G C Grebe 28

Lt Egret 1

Heron 1

Mute Swan 3

Shoveler 2

Wigeon 2

Teal 18

Bullfinch 1

Cormorent 7

Coal Tit 6

Nuthatch 1

Tufted 4

3rd Dec

G C Grebe 30+

Cormorent 12

Wigeon 2

Teal 13

Tufted 4

Heron 1

Lesser Redpoll 2

These are the first Redpoll to be seen at the Res for 5 years and the first Res record for December. They were at the entrance to the wood.

Just A Few Photos

2008_12040021.jpg

2008_12040020.jpg

2008_12040045.jpg

2008_12040041.jpg

2008_12040074.jpg

2008_12040066.jpg

2008_12040079.jpg

2008_12040099.jpg

2008_12040102.jpg

2008_12040133.jpg

Went up to Somerset today and the first stop was Hawkridge Reservoir, Found 6 of the reported 7 Mandarins on the pool at the west end of the reservoir. Next stop was Marsh Farm, Steart and again I came up 1 short as I could only see 6 of the reported 7 Bewick Swans. At Cheddar Reservoir I could only find 1 of the reported 3 Black-necked Grebes but 2 male Red-crested Pochards were a bonus. Also saw 1 male Goosander and several Goldeneye.
Whilst I spent nearly 2 hours at Ubley Warren NR the Great Grey Shrike failed to put in an appearance. Still a good days birding. Roger

I'm going to be in Somerset for a couple of days (Tue/Wed/Thu) this week, staying near Wedmore.

Are there any Bitterns about and showing reasonably well?

Is there anything interesting on Cheddar Reservoir at the moment or any Smew anywhere maybe?

I'm going to be in Somerset for a couple of days (Tue/Wed/Thu) this week, staying near Wedmore.

Are there any Bitterns about and showing reasonably well?

Is there anything interesting on Cheddar Reservoir at the moment or any Smew anywhere maybe?

At least one Blacknecked Grebe at Cheddar yesterday.
Will be over there myself tomorrow.

Have a look at the Severnside Birding website,I believe that Aust Wharf is a reliable site for them

OK Thanks for that: found Aust Wharf but not sure if I want to go that far from base, we might just make do with the local Barn Owls.

Say Hi if you see us at Cheddar, I'll be the bloke with the wife hobbling along a few yards behind.:hi:

Hi all

I am coming down to my visit my folks in a weeks time (26th-30th) and I am trying to plan a few days out with my dad to bag a few 'bits and bobs'

The snowy owl in Cornwall is already in our sights but I am interested in looking for the cattle egrets, starlings, bittern and the bustard (I know it is released but it would be nice to see!). If anyone can help out with any information on these or anything else, I would be most grateful.

If you don't want to broadcast with info, feel free to send me a private message.

Many thanks for your help

Paul

If you go down for the Snowy Owl there is a wintering Bittern at Long Rock Pool, Marazion. I watched it fly from the reeds on the south side across the pool and then over the road in to the main reed bed at 16.50 on Tuesday. Today there were two Cattle Egrets near the church at Powderham near Exeter. Best of luck. Roger

Shapwick Egret!!!

Hi all you somerset lot,
Myself and Partimer Travelled up from North Devon yesterday and spent the day in your neck of the woods had a good day at shapwick,
With plenty of good birds,
Highlights were Siskin, Goldeneye and a Great Egret at far side of the pool pool viewed from Noahs hide along with greta views of otters about 10 feet away below thw same hide,
I cant believe with such a great local area with great birds not more of you post here on the forum,
I had 3 lifers metioned above. Happy days

Darryl

Hi all you somerset lot,
Myself and Partimer Travelled up from North Devon yesterday and spent the day in your neck of the woods had a good day at shapwick,
With plenty of good birds,
Highlights were Siskin, Goldeneye and a Great Egret at far side of the pool pool viewed from Noahs hide along with greta views of otters about 10 feet away below thw same hide,
I cant believe with such a great local area with great birds not more of you post here on the forum,
I had 3 lifers metioned above. Happy days

Darryl

Darryl,

Shame on us 'Somerset Birders'

Takes a Devon guy (and believe me Darryl has lot's to visit at home) to give us a push...please help by contributing to our local patch. :clap:

Jamie

HI all
I can only agree with Daryl (Greysands Boy) we had a great day on your patch and what a patch. Only wish we had those facilities in North Devon.

Stu

Somerset visit

Had a good visit home last week so thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction for information.

Spent a pleasent day on the Levels on Wednesday and visited some old haunts. Hadn't been out that way for a while to nice to see the new parking facilities at Ashcott Corner and the viewing area at Ham Wall.

Highlights included great views of the GW egret and 2 bitterns from the Ham Wall viewing area and 11 water pipits in the cut reeds behind. 7 whooper swans, the egret again and 2 otters (only the 3rd time I have seen one) from the Noah's lake hide. The cattle egret was still in Sharpham Park and I couldn't resist a look at the bustards (impressive birds). It was also nice to see plenty of common buzzard and a few ravens around the place.

My parents garden feeders have attracted over 20 species so far this year including 10 brambling, 7 lesser and 1 mealy redpoll last week.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back