• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (4 Viewers)

After loosing the Kingfisher on the River Rea at Ten Acres, I've found some at King's Norton.
Now I've got to check if there any at Wychall or else I'm still 2 down lol.
A few people over the years said Kingfisher were at King's Norton but I never found any except the odd one.
So this is a first for me.
I then had a run along the Bourn Brook and the Kingfisher there was pretty active.
Fish numbers growing under the blue bridge and now at the edge of the brook.
But I couldn't see any nesting yet.
It was good first thing this morning to hear a Green Woodpecker calling near my house.

In the morning the Kingfisher along the River Rea.
Then I checked out Kingfisher Country park. On my way back the sun shone & I looked over a bush hidden section and there was the Kingfisher by Babbs Mill Lake on the River Cole.
Then I checked out the River Rea / Tame join & of all the luck the Kingfisher was sat in the only gap I can see the River from the path.
It then flew along the Tame calling.

A run to the Bourn Brook yesterday before the mid day heat.
As soon as I got there I heard the Kingfisher flying along the brook.
Then saw it a couple times.
I could see approx 100 fish in a deep section near the blue bridge.
As I ran back there is a narrow section. It had a lot of bird song and I heard a Kingfisher call.
I looked in the brook and there were approx 50 fish in the shadows at the side.
I then looked further along and heard the Kingfisher call again.
Never seen or heard one on that section so was surprised.

It's good to see the number of fish growing by the Bourn Brook blue bridge.
I think there's approx 200 now.
The Heron is back further down from the fish.
The Kingfisher was again along the brook yesterday. Single and then double call.

The Kingfisher on the River Rea, then the Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook.
Lot's of Blackbirds singing & more than a few Song Thrushes singing.

This morning the Kingfisher on the River Rea overshot the River & did u turns to head back down the river.
Then a Buzzard appeared in the trees.
Later the Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook walkway.

Yesterday, Monday, the pair of Kingfisher on the River Tame, Spaghetti junction.
They flew up and down. They flew up from the river to the trees so they were the same height as the footpath.
But I couldn't see them hidden in the tree cover.
They flew under the canal, then flew back.
A pair of Grey Wagtails by the canal bridge.
Birdsong along the river.
Then from no where a Little Egret appeared, by the Kingfisher and then was gone lol.
A good weekend in all, 8 Birmingham Kingfisher.
River Rea, Bourn Brook, River Cole, River Tame.
It was good on the River Cole, when a pair stopped, right by me.

I stopped in late Friday at the River Rea, Kings Norton and it was good to see approx. 100 Crows feeding.
I saw the Kingfisher along the Rea.
This morning the Kingfisher flew past again and was then quite vocal further on.
On my run along the Bourn Brook I pasted the Kingfisher flying the other way.
I've seen the odd fish in the River Rea but not many at Selly Park hence no Kingfisher.
There was a Heron.
Valley Parkway boating pond is a funny colour. A few fish in the Bourn.
More in the Woodbrooke.

The usual Kingfisher along the usual spot along the River Rea.
Along the Bourn Brook, a lot of sticklebacks fanning nests & chasing others away.
Elsewhere spring has really sprung.
Swifts, Swallows & House Martins. A brief Hobby chasing the Swifts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back