• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Review (1 Viewer)

I read that review the other day and I don't really see that as a rave review from my standpoint. Most of the review could have been written by reading the manual and addresses things that are not top of my list.

On the main issues we've been discussing in the other thread it hardly touches on questions whether the IQ is as good or better, or not, than the SX50 at high zoom and whether the IS is as good or not.

All I see on that is this one statement "Zooming in to long focal lengths can also cause some focus hunting, and the system is sometimes unreliable in these situations, too."

I think that the review is pretty useless.

I read that review the other day [...]

Interesting; as it wasn't posted until yesterday. Notice the date of the review at the top of each page of the review. I also check the website each day for news/reviews, so I'd be interested to know where and how you saw this review before it was posted?

(I've no interest in the camera, so won't comment on the rest of your post)

Like Chris, I have no interest in this Camera except to say that I would be amazed if the Camera was not 'better' than the SX50. I have been interested in Digital Cams for around 10 years now and I have never know a new cam that was not better than the one it superseded (DSLR or point and shoot).

SX 60 better than SX50?

Roy's comments are certainly valid. However, there do seem to be a lot of people on internet forums saying they have tried the SX60 and have been disappointed - many have sent it back to the shop.

There have also been on-line reviews expressing disappointment with the SX60 at max zoom, eg:

http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/canon-powershot-sx60-hs-digital-camera-review

The people who seem most disappointed with the SX60 tend to be bird/wildlife shooters who want to almost exclusively use the cam at max zoom, who find the AF slow, the IS poor and the IQ slightly disappointing cf the SX50.

More general SX60 users (who don't need to use the SX60 at max zoom all the time) on the other hand, seem quite impressed with the SX60 and find it better than the SX50. In particular, I think people who shoot video find the SX60 much better. And of course the ergonomics of the SX60 are improved with much better EVF, better rear LCD screen, some improvements in control layout etc.

For myself, I am not too interested in shooting video, and want to use the cam at max zoom on birds on trips when I don't want to carry heavy DSLR gear or when the purpose of the trip is not primarily bird or photography related, but I want to be able to take bird shots if I stumble across an opportunity (eg if I am just out walking the dog). So performance at max zoom is key - IQ, AF, IS. From what I have heard, it sounds like I might be disappointed in the SX60 and should just stick with my SX50.

But I am still keeping an open mind.........;)

Last edited:
Nick, maybe they have gone a step to far with regards to the max focal length seeing the sensor size is just the same as the SX50. I always thought that the SX40 delivered a better base IQ than the SX50 (probably because it was limited to 800mm) although in a lot of ways the SX50 was certainly a better Camera. I sold my SX50 because I found the AF slow and the overall IQ disappointing, although there is no doubt these little cams are great value for money for the birder who wants record shots without going to the hassle of digiscoping.
For the SX60 I was hoping for a new and larger sensor, even if it meant doubling the weight it would still have been lightweight compared to a DSLR set-up. A larger sensor should have given better noise levels, faster AF and an overall better IQ.

Is it me looking at the Photos taken by the reviewer they are all rather soft and some look out of focus ? Maybe it is my screen playing tricks but they don't look anywhere near as sharp as the sx50 I owned in the past. Also noise in those low light shots don't look as good as the sx50.

Could the reviewers skills or completely my mistake?

I wonder what Canon think?

Hi all I too am an owner of the Sx50 and of cause I have been following every review and comment on the new Sx60 and I must say that I am not swayed to take the plunge on a Sx60 just yet. I find that most of the positive reviews are from people that do not own the Sx50. So on balance people would be better buying the Sx50 at half the price of the Sx60, then the lack sales of the Sx60 might make Canon do something about the problems mentioned in the reviews.
In fact it would be interesting to know what Canon do think about peoples negative comments. I worked at John Lewis for 25 years and I know for a fact that as soon as a new model is available they stock it. But at the moment they have no plans to get any in. Also two days a week they have a Canon rep in so next week I intend to pop in and see what he/she has to say.

Interesting; as it wasn't posted until yesterday. Notice the date of the review at the top of each page of the review. I also check the website each day for news/reviews, so I'd be interested to know where and how you saw this review before it was posted?

(I've no interest in the camera, so won't comment on the rest of your post)

Don't know. I Googled it up. Read it and saw that it was far too general to be useful to me.

I'd be really interested in hearing from people who have owned both an SX60 and an SX50 for a reasonable amount of time.

I work in IS/IT and graphic design (Photoshop among other things) and if I've learned anything it is that human nature is to stick with what they know and immediately, knee-jerk, dislike new things compared to comfortable things they already know/own. People don't like change as much as they claim, as a whole.

And they love to throw-out the baby with the bathwater, or compare things out of context.

Which makes the whole SX50 vs. SX60 things incredibly frustrating, because on the whole, there doesn't seem to be many unbiased thinkers. After watching Neil over in this thread shoot wonderful photos and a fair sight better than "reference quality" at long ranges, I'm left just as confused as Steve Babbs.

I've read so many reviews my head hurts, listened to these "pixel peepers" rant and rave (most of these self-professed expert pixel peepers have no idea what they are talking about), and just come-out indecisive. One day the SX50 seems the best choice, one day the SX60 seems better.

My girlfriend actually recommended just buying both, keep them a while, and return one. But to be fair, I don't think I could figure it out soon enough...and would frankly feel bad returning a camera to a vendor on that basis.

Anyone out there actually lived with the SX60 for a while, learned to adapt to it, learned to see it independently of the SX50, yet managed to compare them each with their own merits and demerits?

Last edited:
I'd be really interested in hearing from people who have owned both an SX60 and an SX50 for a reasonable amount of time.

I work in IS/IT and graphic design (Photoshop among other things) and if I've learned anything it is that human nature is to stick with what they know and immediately, knee-jerk, dislike new things compared to comfortable things they already know/own. People don't like change as much as they claim, as a whole.

And they love to throw-out the baby with the bathwater, or compare things out of context.

Which makes the whole SX50 vs. SX60 things incredibly frustrating, because on the whole, there doesn't seem to be many unbiased thinkers. After watching Neil over in this thread shoot wonderful photos and a fair sight better than "reference quality" at long ranges, I'm left just as confused as Steve Babbs.

I've read so many reviews my head hurts, listened to these "pixel peepers" rant and rave (most of these self-professed expert pixel peepers have no idea what they are talking about), and just come-out indecisive. One day the SX50 seems the best choice, one day the SX60 seems better.

My girlfriend actually recommended just buying both, keep them a while, and return one. But to be fair, I don't think I could figure it out soon enough...and would frankly feel bad returning a camera to a vendor on that basis.

Anyone out there actually lived with the SX60 for a while, learned to adapt to it, learned to see it independently of the SX50, yet managed to compare them each with their own merits and demerits?

Sometimes you just gotta take the plunge, try new stuff and even if it sucks, it's a learning experience. Both for your and those whom you inform of your findings.

That's what I did. I just bought the damn thing and want to learn everything about it.

Another one here:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/canon-sx60-hs-review

It's fair to say they're not impressed!
Yep, I agree Steve. Their summing up is on the nail IMHO "Bridge and superzoom cameras stay on shelves because people still buy them. However, we get the impression that buyers don't always understand the limitations of the product they’re buying: zoom range doesn’t compensate for a slow lens and a tiny sensor".

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back