• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What was your 19th Corvid on your life list? (1 Viewer)

YuShan

United Kingdom
Lockdown boredom... :-O

So I looked up what was my Corvid #19.
It was a Thick-billed Raven in Ethiopia on 2 Oct 2014

What was yours?

That has to be the most random and unpredictable post that anyone has ever made here!

Are we talking purely Corvus or extending to include Treepies, Nutcrackers, Choughs and Jays etc?

If only Corvus, I only have 16.

Last edited:
Blue Jay is our 19th in family Corvida. From the Corvus genus, we have only 15 species so far, so once the travel is back on, this is a nice target :)

edit: after checking, it's not hard - 15 available species in "reasonable land" (plus 17 endemic to various islands, so notoriously difficult to add up). Five species available in US+Mexico alone for us, so this would be realistic, if US ever stops being the world's Petri dish.

Last edited:
That has to be the most random and unpredictable post that anyone has ever made here!

Are we talking purely Corvus or extending to include Treepies, Nutcrackers, Choughs and Jays etc?

If only Corvus, I only have 16.

Yes, that happens when you are bored :-O Don't take it too seriously.

I intended this to be the entire Corvidae group including Jays etc.
When counting just Corvus, my Corvid #19 is a Forest Raven (on 28th Oct 2019 Tasmania), which is also my last one, as it now turns out I have exactly 19 Corvus on my list (and 52 when counting all Corvidae)

Blue Jay is our 19th in family Corvida. From the Corvus genus, we have only 15 species so far, so once the travel is back on, this is a nice target :)

edit: after checking, it's not hard - 15 available species in "reasonable land" (plus 17 endemic to various islands, so notoriously difficult to add up). Five species available in US+Mexico alone for us, so this would be realistic, if US ever stops being the world's Petri dish.

45 For me on that basis with just 16 Corvus.

Last edited:
Of my 39 number 19 was the rather uninspiring Cape Crow, aka Cape Rook, aka Black Crow in South Africa in 2001. Could've been worse, House Crow was 20!

Regarding Corvus genus only, I got 4 in the UK, 2 Sri Lanka, 1 Nepal, 4 Ethiopia, 1 Mexico, 2 USA, 1 Canada, 3 Australia mainland, 1 Tasmania.

Of my 39 number 19 was the rather uninspiring Cape Crow, aka Cape Rook, aka Black Crow in South Africa in 2001. Could've been worse, House Crow was 20!

I object! IMO House.Crow is one of the most interesting black corvids. Yeah, it's a pest in some places, but it's great looking pest.

And I must be equally sad, because I went and checked...…………….only 17 Corvus species, so my 19th Corvida would be Australian Raven seen in Sydney on 31 October 2010.

Ian

I only have 17 Corvids.... :-C and I also cheated as I listed Northwestern Crow and American Crow as separate species...

1. Hooded Crow
2. Magpie
3. Jay
4. Jackdaw
5. Nutcracker
6. Red-billed Chough
7. Alpine Chough
8. Iberian Magpie
9. Siberian Jay
10. Rook
11. Carrion Crow
12. Raven
13. Steller’s Jay
14. Gray Jay
15. Clark’s Nutcracker
16. American Crow
17. Northwestern Crow

I'm 2 short on Corvids:

1. American Crow
2. Fish Crow
3. Common Raven
4. Black-billed Magpie
5. Clark's Nutcracker
6. Green Jay
7. Florida Scrub Jay
8. Woodhouse's Scrub Jay
9. California Scrub Jay
10. Blue Jay
11. Stellar's Jay
12. Common Magpie
13. Eurasian Jay
14. Jackdaw
15. Red-billed Chough
16. Carrion Crow
17. Rook

Boy, did I cringe when I saw that title! But I do love it!

If we're doing all corvidae, my 19th was Eurasian Jay in North Wales (The one in the UK, not the one outside Philadelphia).

If we're doing genus corvus, my 19th was Cape Crow in Kenya.

In messed up order,...............

1. Cape Crow
2. Brown-necked Raven
3. White-necked Raven
4. Fan-tailed Raven
5. Northern Raven
6. Pied Crow Corvus
7. House Crow
8. Indian Crow
9 Eastern Jungle Crow
10. Large-billed Crow
11. Hooded Crow
12. Carrion Crow
13. American Crow
14 Rook
15. Flores Crow
16. Slender-billed Crow

17. Western Jackdaw
18. Piapiac
19. Inca Jay
20. Alpine Chough
21. Red-billed Chough
22. Spotted Nutcracker
23. Mahgreb Magpie
24. Eurasian Magpie
25. Oriental Magpie
26, Racket-tailed Treepie
27. Ratchet-tailed Treepie
28. Grey Treepie
29. Bornean Treepie
30. Sumatran Treepie
31. Rufous Reeepie
32. Bornean Green Magpie
33. Javan Green Magpie
34. Indochinese Green Magpie
35. Common Green Magpie
36. Red-billed Blue Magpie
37. Yellow-Billed Blue Magpie
38. Taiwan Blue Magpie
39. Sri Lankan Blue Magpie
40 Azure-winged Magpie
41 Black-headed Jay
42. Eurasian Jay
43. Blue Jay
44. White-throated Magpie Jay
45. Brown Jay

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back