• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digital Camera Movies (1 Viewer)

Marysan

I am able to make 15 second silent movies(320 X 240 pixels in size frames, approx 4.5 MB total) with my Nikon CoolPix 775 Digital Camera. The movies are stored as Quick Time movie files with names ending in ".MOV" and I can play them back in Quick Time Player. My question is this: Does anyone know how I can get the Quick Time Movie on to the Internet and thus on to Bird Forum? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Movie mode

Hello Mary

These files are too large as I tried to send one via email so I guess the same would apply to posting on Forum.

Roy.

Thanks Roy. Yes, my Great Blue Heron movie is 4.55 MB so it is much too large to email. I went into Quicktime Player Help yesterday and found a section entitled "Setting up a Movie for Internet Screening" so I think it is possible. Whether or not I'll be able to do it is another matter. I have to dig into that material and see what I can figure out. Also, I can call the free 800 number for Nikon Tech Support. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Movie mode

Hi Mary

I would appreciate if you would post up your findings on this subject. I took some movie when I was lucky to get those shots of that juvenile Bittern I posted into Digiscoping.

Roy.

Hi Roy,
I would love to see your bittern movie. If you don't already have Quick Time Player, you can go to www.apple.com and download it for free. Once you have it, you can click on to Help and look around to find the topic "Setting up a movie for internet streaming". Also, if I've done this right , I should still have the URL to get you straight to that topic on my clipboard and I will now paste it here:

http://helpqt.apple.com/qthelpwr1/english/QuickTimeHelp/pgs2/edtFmSet.htm

It's not showing as a link on my screen yet, I hope it turns into one after I submit it, otherwise you'll have to enter that long web address manually to get there. I'm going to work on that topic later today.

Movie mode

Mary

That site loaded ok but I am not really sure what I am doing but I did have a word with my son today and he said, it would be a good idea if I had my own URL site he said he would help. He said, it would be easier for you to view those files from this site. Those movie files were only tests but I will post the Bittern movie if I get the chance. Nice picture of your Heron I think they are most entertaining birds I have quite a few still images of our Grey Herons.

Roy.

Hi Roy,
I don't know what I'm doing either but that's never stopped me before and look how far I've come! From what I read at the Quick Time site last nite, I think I'm going to have to download Quick Time Pro for $29.95 to get any chance at putting the movie into Streaming Video. I'll ask around to see if I can line up some help for me on that before I buy into it. Hope your son can work it out for you on your end. Good Luck and I'll keep trying.

video

We are working on digital camera being played in the gallery, it should be available by the 17th of october.
It should have sound every member will be alloted 15 mins per month, re starting every month.

steve

Can't answer your query on that one yet Marysan, but it's an interesting thread. I use a combination of QTM and AVI's which are more universally accepted. I'd recommend QTPro, I use it myself and it has great editing facilities. I can't remeber whether it just edits AVI's or whether it converts .Mov to AVI's. AVI's are obviously read by far more players and the likes of Fototime now hosts them, another option is to post a link to Fototime if the Birdforum link hasn't come through yet.

Thanks, Ian. I assume QTM = Quick time Movie. AVI = ? I've got a couple of 15 second Quick Time Movies filed away. I don't expect they'll win me any Oscars, though.

You've got me there - AVI ? It's just a standard movie format that has been knocking around for years. Standard video recorders produce AVI files which I then record onto the hard drive. Compression can be altered to make smaller files but quality suffers. Some of the newer formats like QT's .Mov files handle the compression better, but can only be played on their own viewer, which as you say is free. My Oly C2100 can record 20 second clips which I then stitch together in QT Pro to several minutes in length and burn to CD. Trouble is even quite short length clips use big MB's of space and long download times.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back