• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony 35x Cybershot (1 Viewer)

KenM

Am going to the states next week and was about to purchase a Nikon P500this week, when I read about the new Sony which will be reaching UK retailers mid-May? According to this forum...the pre production models that have been afforded to just a handful of individuals, are suggesting that this might just be a very serious contender in the super zoom market. Presumably there is no further news on it's performance to date?
I have two questions...Would I be right in assuming that a US purchase next week of either, would result in a non-transferable warranty to the UK?, and would I also be correct in assuming that the new Sony does not have the 'slow motion' option as compared to the Nikon?

Cheers..hoping someone can oblige.

Am going to the states next week and was about to purchase a Nikon P500this week, when I read about the new Sony which will be reaching UK retailers mid-May? According to this forum...the pre production models that have been afforded to just a handful of individuals, are suggesting that this might just be a very serious contender in the super zoom market. Presumably there is no further news on it's performance to date?
I have two questions...Would I be right in assuming that a US purchase next week of either, would result in a non-transferable warranty to the UK?, and would I also be correct in assuming that the new Sony does not have the 'slow motion' option as compared to the Nikon?

Cheers..hoping someone can oblige.

Hi Ken
If you're talking about the Sony HX100V you can get it from Jessops in the UK now (£429.95 http://www.jessops.com/Directory/catalogue.ashx/$s=sony%20hx100v). It's difficult to say how good it is before the user reviews etc come out.
Hobbes

Hi Ken
If you're talking about the Sony HX100V you can get it from Jessops in the UK now (£429.95 http://www.jessops.com/Directory/catalogue.ashx/$s=sony%20hx100v). It's difficult to say how good it is before the user reviews etc come out.
Hobbes

Thanks Hobbes,

Will descend on Jessops tomorrow! :t:

There are quite a few samples up on the Sony Talk Forum section at dpreview as there are a handful of owners posting their results - in some cases they are showing full res shots, and lots of flowers/birds/etc examples. Might be worth a quick look to get an idea of what you might expect from the camera. It does look like it's producing pretty decent results, better than the Sony ultrazooms of the last 2-3 years or so. Quite a few H5 owners (the last Sony ultrazoom that most agree was quite good) are saying that this finally looks like a worthy replacement, whereas the previous HX versions were not deemed worthy.

There are quite a few samples up on the Sony Talk Forum section at dpreview as there are a handful of owners posting their results - in some cases they are showing full res shots, and lots of flowers/birds/etc examples. Might be worth a quick look to get an idea of what you might expect from the camera. It does look like it's producing pretty decent results, better than the Sony ultrazooms of the last 2-3 years or so. Quite a few H5 owners (the last Sony ultrazoom that most agree was quite good) are saying that this finally looks like a worthy replacement, whereas the previous HX versions were not deemed worthy.

Thanks Justin...will do. :t:

I couldn't access the Sony HX 100V within an 80 mile radius of London no major retailer appeared to have it?...then I thought about the possibility that there might just be a slim chance of availability at duty free Heathrow. A quick phone call realised just one ex display model left, which I secured for my departure date in transit through Currys Digital at £349.00.....here are the results....all shot at c30x and hand held. Image 1. taken at circa 80m. Image 2 at c8m. 3 at c5m. under canopy, and the last image at
c120m. during a heavy grey downpour. As I've reached my image attachment ceiling, I will post a second batch to follow...

Images to follow the last post...don't know why they didn't attach?....hoping I've remembered the right subject to lens distance correctly? :t:

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 186
Some more shots from the Sony DSC-HX100V...Image1. as with the previous post was taken at 30x zoom c100m.distant, Image 2. was taken under canopy at c4m. Image 3. c10m. Image 4. under canopy c8m. Image 5. under canopy in the shade c10-15m. again on an extremely dull day. Coming from a Canon HV20 HD Camcorder with a 3mp still shot and 2mp grab facility, it goes without saying that with 16mp, a Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar lens, CMOS sensor, 1080p HD movie that it might just have the edge on my previous kit. Apart from 3 shots out the ten, the remaining 7 shots were taken in extremely poor light in the point and shoot mode, as the camera came with just a basic 'what the buttons do' with all the advanced instructions supplied with the CD-ROM to be downloaded at a later date (when I get home). Whilst I was away (Central Park, NY.) I met a number of DSLR Bazooka lensed, tripod humping Birders, that produced some amazing images from their respective double-digit $k kits. You can't compare their results with mine! However I'm wondering if £ for LB this camera might just be punching above it's weight?

Attachments

• 065.jpg
    065.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 164
What's going on with the Mourning Dove's head in the second pic? Have you got any macro shots of plants or insects you could share with us? I'm thinking of getting either the Sony, the Lumix fz100 or the new Olympus sz30mr and it'd be good to see a whole range of shots with each. I must say that the Sony is ahead at the moment.
Phil

That kind of looks like maybe the background defocus/blur function was possibly used, and didn't sufficiently distinguish the head from the background. If he was using the cam in iAuto mode, the background defocus becomes a primary control on the jog wheel - if you shoot in normal Program auto, S, A, or M, then this function can be disabled. I could be wrong - but with other Sony cameras that have this feature, it works sometimes, but i've seen it mess up and accidentally blur part of the intended subject.

A few more shots from the Sony Cyber-Shot HX100V...all compressed from circa 1MB down to c50KB, and hand held at 30x...excepting the two macro shots...approx. distances given for the bird shots. I'll be learning for some time!..nevertheless I'm suitably impressed with it's performance..what does the forum think?

cheers

Attachments

• 7-8 metre Wood Pigeon.jpg
    7-8 metre Wood Pigeon.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 15 metre Wood Pigeon.jpg
    15 metre Wood Pigeon.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 20 metre Wood Pigeon.jpg
    20 metre Wood Pigeon.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Bee Shot 1..jpg
    Bee Shot 1..jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Bee Shot 2..jpg
    Bee Shot 2..jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 131
Thought this might be of interest?....First shot that I've taken on ''digital'' zoom. At circa 25-30 metres at 120x, I shot this (15cm) Spotted Flycatcher (hand-held on a grey day), from the bedroom window (a rare bird locally nowdays!). No sharpening just a little contrast and mid-tone tweaking! I was kinda impressed by the result, considering the range/lighting and subject size. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Spot.Fly at 120x.jpg
    Spot.Fly at 120x.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 173
Sony HX100V bird pictures from India

I had been looking for a good superzoom to use on birding trips mostly for record shots and video clips. My new Sony HX100 seems to do the job quite well. Here are some pictures from a birding trip close to Bangalore, India.

Attachments

• purple swamphen baby (Medium).jpg
    purple swamphen baby (Medium).jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 117
  • purple heron (Medium).jpg
    purple heron (Medium).jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 118
  • red avadavat (Medium).jpg
    red avadavat (Medium).jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 157
  • ashy prinia (Medium).jpg
    ashy prinia (Medium).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Common Kingfisher.jpg
    Common Kingfisher.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 151
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back