• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In flight shots with Nikon Fieldscope EDG85 (1 Viewer)

Cattle Egret

Taken from the car handheld

Digiscoped with Nikon Fieldscope EDG85 via Nikon FSA-L2 DSLR Photo Adapter on Nikon D300s

500mm ~ ISO 640, Shutter 1/320s full frame edited with Nikon Capture NX2

5630654539_8ee62c94d3_b.jpg

Peregrine Falcon

Caught the White-breasted Waterhen in flight :king:

Digiscoped with Nikon Fieldscope EDG85 via Nikon FSA-L2 DSLR Photo Adapter on Nikon D300s

500mm ~ ISO 400, Shutter 1/1250s cropped 40% with Nikon Capture NX2

JAY_1287_Peregrine_Falcon.jpg

Cinnamon Bittern

Digiscoped with Nikon Fieldscope EDG65 via Nikon FSA-L2 DSLR Photo Adapter on Nikon D300s

650mm ~ ISO 500, Shutter 1/800s cropped 25% with Nikon Capture NX2

JAY_3758 Cinnamon Bittern.jpg

Happy digiscoping :king:

Last edited:
Yellow-vented Bulbul

Digiscoped with Nikon Fieldscope EDG65 via Nikon FSA-L2 DSLR Photo Adapter on Nikon D300s

Extreme 1750mm ~ ISO 2000, Shutter 1/1250s cropped 25% with Nikon Capture NX2

JAY_3891 Yellow-vented Bulbul.jpg

Happy birding :king:

Little Tern

500mm ~ ISO 500, Shutter 1/1000s cropped 25% with Nikon Capture NX2

JAY_0924 Little Tern.jpg

Happy shooting :king:

Lovely shots on a great combo Jason.

I'm just wondering whether the Kowa lens-scope's fixed focal length adapters are any better optically compared to the zoomable FSA-L2 adapter for Nikon's EDG85 (as per this thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=191758).

Of course, the FSA-L2 is an all-in-one solution for different focal lengths as it can zoom between 590 to 1750mm.

Any comments?

Hor Kee

Lovely shots on a great combo Jason.

I'm just wondering whether the Kowa lens-scope's fixed focal length adapters are any better optically compared to the zoomable FSA-L2 adapter for Nikon's EDG85 (as per this thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=191758).

Of course, the FSA-L2 is an all-in-one solution for different focal lengths as it can zoom between 590 to 1750mm.

Any comments?

Hor Kee

Hio Hor,

I never try the new Kowa except for a brief last year at British Bird Fair.

No one has it here in my place unfortunately.

White-breasted Wood Swallow

500mm ~ ISO 400, Shutter 1/800s cropped 25% with Nikon Capture NX2

JAY_3005 White-breasted Wood Swallow.jpg

Wandering Whistling Duck

500mm ~ ISO 800, Shutter 1/160s cropped 25% with Nikon Capture NX2

JAY_3794 Wandering Whistling Duck.jpg

Wood Sandpiper Fighting !

Got this from the car quite close but the angle a bit higher ...

500mm ~ ISO 200, Shutter 1/200s cropped 25% with Nikon Capture NX2

JAY_8757 Wood Sandpiper.jpg

Happy birding !

Black-headed Gull

500mm ~ F/5.9, ISO 200, Shutter 1/1000s cropped 25% with Nikon Capture NX2

JAY_0927 Black-headed Gull.jpg

Black-headed Gull

500mm ~ F/5.9, ISO 200, Shutter 1/1000s cropped 25% with Nikon Capture NX2

JAY_0850 Black-headed Gull.jpg

Spectacular shot Jason. And a belated congrats on your pics becoming THE official digiscoping promos for the EDG line. Your shots certainly deserve to be published!

So do the EDG design "features" (heavier weight, large focus wheel, and larger tripod foot,etc.) really make it an easier/better scope to digiscope with than the old fieldscopes?

Have you moved up to the VR version yet? I was in high wind digiscoping a Siberian Crane with an ED50 a few days ago and was wishing I had VR assist for focusing!

Spectacular shot Jason. And a belated congrats on your pics becoming THE official digiscoping promos for the EDG line. Your shots certainly deserve to be published!

So do the EDG design "features" (heavier weight, large focus wheel, and larger tripod foot,etc.) really make it an easier/better scope to digiscope with than the old fieldscopes?

Have you moved up to the VR version yet? I was in high wind digiscoping a Siberian Crane with an ED50 a few days ago and was wishing I had VR assist for focusing!

Thanks a lot Rick :king: and I'm still waiting for loan unit from Nikon Malaysia to test the EDG VR. I saw the video from Mike Freiberg http://blog.aba.org/2012/01/whole-lot-of-shakin-not-going-on.html and can't wait to try the new scope !

Great shots Jason!!:t:

Hehehe you're welcome my friend ;)

The advantages of EDG over ED series is the FSA-L2 adapter, wide zoom eyepiece 20-60x, better contrast and well controlled CA.

What I really hope for Nikon to design new EDG scope with built in FSA-L2 adapter. Does not matter if the length is similar with the current EDG when FSA-L2 attached.

The advantages of EDG over ED series is the FSA-L2 adapter, wide zoom eyepiece 20-60x, better contrast and well controlled CA.

What I really hope for Nikon to design new EDG scope with built in FSA-L2 adapter. Does not matter if the length is similar with the current EDG when FSA-L2 attached.

Is that because there is some flex in the bayonet mount causing some alignment issues when a heavy dslr is attached? I know there have been similar reports with the Kowa photoscope.

Is that because there is some flex in the bayonet mount causing some alignment issues when a heavy dslr is attached? I know there have been similar reports with the Kowa photoscope.

Not a problem so far when I used the battery pack on my D300s with gimbal head. Not sure if it might affect the support between FSA-L2 and DSRL with battery pack on video head ?

What was the problem with Kowa Photoscope ? Is it the mount between the scope body and adapter or mount on the adapter with DSLR ?

Just some reports here that different connection tubes between the main lens section and camera sometimes wear loose or sometimes flex affecting the alignment of the focal plane with the sensor. I've mentioned it before in the Kowa thread I think.

Wandering Whistling Duck

Taken late in the afternoon ...

500mm ~ F/5.9, ISO 400, Shutter 1/400s cropped 33% with Nikon Capture NX2

JAY_3671 Wandering Whistling Duck.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back