• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A short German list of some well- or little-known Naturalists … (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
While fumbling around the internet searching for various sources I happened to find the attached (German) article, listing quite a few naturalists commemorated in various species of Animals, like:

Otmar Reiser (1861–1936) [as in, for example; the subspecies Cranioleuca vulpina reiseri REICHENBERGER 1922 … ?]

Philipp von Oberländer (1865-1911) (as in Oberlaender's Ground-Thrush Geokichla oberlaenderi SASSI 1914 …?)

Alexander Carl* Freiherr von Hügel (1796-1870) as [in the invalid "Orthotomus huegelii" PELZELN 1857…? (syn. Orthotomus sutorius maculicollis MOORE 1855)]

… and a few others, some maybe noteworthy.

Additions or differences with today's HBW Alive Key under-lined …
*First names in opposite order

Note: I haven´t confirmed them vs the OD's, nor have I checked them any further!

Take it for what is worth, some of them might be noteworthy …

Cheers!
x

Attachments

• VNHM_NF_012_0065-0080.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 118
Doctor honoris causa, then.
In various places, his name is also preceded by "Herr(n) Custos" -- another possible source...?
;)

"causa honoris" is sometimes used instead of the more usual "honoris causa" but, right now, I can't find any instance in association to Reiser.

Last edited:
He dedicated Ramphastos theresae to his wife. Here OD.

Ich widme diese ausgezeichnete Art meiner Frau.

This leads me to point out a typo in the key as there is no h in Othmar Reiser in his first name. Maybe someone in the community knows more than...

Theresa Reiser (fl. 1900) wife of Austrian ornithologist Dr Otmar Reiser (syn. Ramphastos vitellinus ariel).

e.g. née, date of birth, date of death

As well the Reiser record in the key may need enhanced by Accentor collaris reiseri a synonym to Prunella collaris subalpina (if the The Eponym Dictionary of Birds is correct).

P.S. Here p. 8 of 19 Resi Reiser née Höfner (15.10. 1860-6.4. 1953) On p. 7 is written:

Seine Frau Resi lebte auch weiter in Pekre und bezog nach dem 2. Weltkrieg eine jugoslawische Pension. Sie starb 1953 und wurde auf demselben Friedhof begraben.

This excludes Therese Reiser née Kalmann (1879-1941) on the grave stone.

Last edited:
I have seen both Othmar and Otmar as his first name including both in one publication.

Sure and he is written with h in the Accentor collaris reiseri dedication of Tschusi.

But the grave stone shows him without h. Dito in the picture of him with his signature.

"the grave stone shows him without h. Ditto in the picture of him with his signature"
But I wonder if at birth in German speaking Vienna he was Othmar and later in life it became Otmar since the Slovene language 't' is laminal denti-alveolar. Like how the Irish pronounce thug T hug??

This makes sense as he called himself Othmar Reiser jun. when he was for a short period editor of Mittheilungen des Ornithologischen Vereines in Wien. As well I assume Resi on the grave stone is just an abbreviation to Therese, Theresia or Theresa.

Last edited:
Martin, I agree that 'Resi' is a pet name for Therese. That article by Matvejev is quite revealing, confirming that 'Resi' was Otmar's wife. The photo of the gravestone, which shows the final resting place of Otmar (I am keeping that spelling) and his brother, Hermann, and their wives (both named Therese), is quite poignant. See my edited entry under theresae.

I think that another theresae in the Key:
Female eponym; no dedication given (Alexander 1908) (syn. Indicator maculatus stictithorax) comes from the fact that "Boyd needed Maria Theresa dollars for his journey into French territory, where they were the only currency accepted" . The bird was from Dem. Rep. Congo, Gudima, River Iri, Upper Welle. French territory.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/32426836#page/117/mode/1up .

Last edited:
Just a guess

Indeed there is no dedication for theresae as mentioned in the key. Nevertheless the bird was collected at Rio Javari which could be both Peru and/or Brazil. Isn't Teresa Cristina of the Two Sicilies a plausible candidate? Anyway I don't think it is a species but a subspecies Hylophylax naevius theresae present in se Ecuador, ne Peru and w Amazonian Brazil.

Note: Castelnau was 3. september 1843 in Rio when Pedro II married Teresa Cristina. Here is written:

Le 3 septembre 1843 fut un jour mémorable à la cour de Rio: Sa Majesté don Pedro II épousa une princesse napolitaine.

And Des Murs worked on the birds of Castelnaus expedition.

Last edited:
Martin, I agree that 'Resi' is a pet name for Therese. That article by Matvejev is quite revealing, confirming that 'Resi' was Otmar's wife. The photo of the gravestone, which shows the final resting place of Otmar (I am keeping that spelling) and his brother, Hermann, and their wives (both named Therese), is quite poignant. See my edited entry under theresae.

Just what the Eponym Dictionary of Birds claim (no essential new information):

Toucan sp. Ramphastos theresae O Reiser, 1905 NCR
[Hybrid: Ramphastos vitellinus culminatus x R. vitellinus ariel]
Therese Ewiser (DNF) was the wife of Austrian ornithologist, Dr Othmar Reiser (q.v.).

If a hybrid as claimed above or syn. Ramphastos vitellinus ariel as claimed in The Key to Scientific Names is unknown to me.

Even if I already placed the link in post #2 here the full text.
Reiser's Recurvebill Megaxenops parnaguae Reiser, 1905 [Alt. Great Xenops]
Reiser's Spinetail Gyalophylax hellmayri Reiser,1905 [Alt. Redshouldered Spinetail]
Reiser's Tyrannulet Phyllomyias reiseri Hellmayr, 1905
Alpine Accentor ssp. Accentor collaris reiseri Tschusi, 1901 NCR [JS Prunella collaris subalpina]
Reed Bunting ssp. Emberiza schoeniclus reiseri Hartert, 1904
Eastern Olivaceous Warbler ssp. Iduna pallida reiseri Hilgert, 1908
Mistle Thrush Turdus viscivorus reiseri Schiebel, 1911 NCR [JS Turdus viscivorus deichleri]
Rock Partridge ssp. Alectoris saxatilis reiseri Reichenow, 1911 NCR [JS Alectoris graeca graeca]
Reiser's Woodcreeper Sittasomus griseicapillus reiseri Hellmayr, 1917 [Alt. Olivaceous Woodcreeper ssp.]
Rusty-backed Spinetail ssp. Cranioleuca vulpina reiseri Reichenberger, 1922
Dr C. H. Othmar Reiser (1861–1936) was an Austrian oologist and collector in north-eastern Brazil with the expedition of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (1903). He wrote an account of this enterprise, Die Ergebnisse der Zool. Expedition der Akad. der Wissenschaften nach nordostbrasilien im Jahre 1903. Reiser was curator of the museum in Sarajevo (1887–1920), Bosnia, and wrote a 4-volume series; Materialen zu einer Ornis Balcanica, the second volume of which was devoted entirely o the birds of Bulgaria. (See Othmar)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back