• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-eye, Hangzhou, China, Jan 08 (1 Viewer)

Astrokev

Dear All,

The attached images are clearly a white eye, but I'm unsure which one. As far as I can tell, the options are either Japanese W-E or Oriental W-E. Difference I think is that Oriental has more yellow around the vent, but this is unclear in the images.
Range of Japanese includes Hangzhou which is near the east coast, but I'm not sure what the range of Oriental W-E is.

Do the ranges of these 2 spp overlap?

Please could someone help me pin down the ID?

Many thanks
Kev

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 87
looks like Japanese Kev

oriental has a yellow stripe down the belly#

I think they overlap a little but Japanese is a more eastern bird as the name intimates

Thanks all. I bow down to your expertise. I was clearly mistaken in thinking that the oriental had more yellow only around the vent rather than a ventral stripe.
Thanks for confirming ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back