• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Martin nestling on ground (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Actually it is capable of flying, but not sure what to do. Can't reach the nest to put it back. I have hand held it several times and tried to see how far it can fly, which is about 20 metres then it falls to the ground.

It is such a shame as it is just not yet quite ready to fly. Can I shelter it or feed it? Worried aboutcats and magpies and the road.

Try to perch it as high as you can (windowsill, or a tree branch), as close as possible to the nest. Its parents will find it when it calls for food. House Martins are usually pretty good at finding slightly displaced nestlings.

If you think you can manage Nick, you could try feeding it on tinned cat food (if you can't manage to catch flying insects that is;))

If not, is there a rehab centre near you? They may be able to assist.

Thanks both, it sounds naive of me, I am quite upset seeing ths beautiful little thing. I can bring it in and shelter it in a box with cat food,, but worried that will only doom it to death.

I have taken it upstairs to release it from the window but it flew to the ground after 20 metres.

Hi again Nick

You might need to feed the cat food from a pair of tweezers or something. I did this with a baby swallow that had fallen from the nest. I made peep, peep sounds to it and it would wake up and beg for food LOL. I was able to get it back in the nest after a few hours. The next day it, or another had fallen out! So had to repeat the exercise.

It does sound like there might be something wrong with it, so professional advice might help. Rehabbers/vet... is there anyone near you?

Many thanks Delia, I'll try and feed it cat food but can't get to the nest, also there are several nests so I don't even know which one it fell from. No sign of parents.

I don't want to bring it in as that will doom it, unless there is heavy rain.

I guess its doomed anyway sadly, such is nature

You can only do your best Nick.

Good luck. Please let us know how it fares.

Just got back from buying cat food, and the little fellow has passed away in the grass.
Guess he must have been too weak/tired, he was getting blown over in the wind earlier, but was strong enough to fly, just not well enough:-C
RIP little fella, thx Delia and Nutcracker for reaching out to help.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back