• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Live Cornell Lab Panama webcam: Canopy Lodge (1 Viewer)

I can now positively add a Tennessee Warbler to the watch list. Not at the Feeder directly but at the purple flowers in the background.
Furthermore Chestnut-headed oropendola at the feeder this morning.

Edit: There was an Ant Tanager as well. Probably red-crowned

Last edited:
I think the fruit supply must just have been replenished. Eleven chacharacas feeding at one time - although I only caught eight on my screen-grab!

Attachments

• Chachalacas.jpg.jpg
    Chachalacas.jpg.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 53
Saw what looks like to be a Red-Legged Honeycreeper briefly visiting the feeder.
Now (11:53 camera time) also female too.

Attachments

• Panama_birdcam_02.JPG
    Panama_birdcam_02.JPG
    417.8 KB · Views: 71
Saw what looks like to be a Red-Legged Honeycreeper briefly visiting the feeder.

You beat me to it! I just happened to bring up the feed and we saw the male honeycreeper for about a minute before it flew off.

eta: two male honeycreepers a minute ago, gone now.

Last edited:
Four species just now.
red-legged honey-creeper
palm tanager
crimson-rumped tanager
thick-billed euphonia.

I think!

Attachments

• Various.jpg
    Various.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Now (11:53 camera time) also female too.

Beautiful species! I didn't see it live but managed to scroll back to the exact time you mention (you can scroll back in time 4 hours from the current time). Very nice!

Last edited:
Updated list of (confirmed) species seen:

Grey-headed Chachalaca
Rufous Motmot
Collared Aracari
Red-Crowned Woodpecker
Clay-coloured Thrush
Thick-billed Euphonia
Chestnut-headed Oropendola
Tennessee Warbler
Dusky-faced Tanager
Palm Tanager
Blue-grey Tanager
Green Honeycreeper
Lemon-rumped Tanager (Flame-rumped Tanager ssp. icteronotus)
Crimson-backed Tanager
Red-Legged Honeycreeper
Buff-throated Saltator

Mammals:
Red-tailed Squirrel (Sciurus granatensis)
Common Opossum (Didelphis marsupialis)

Butterflies:
Morpho sp. (cf. M. helenor)

I just counted 8, possibly 11, chachalacas at the feeder. There was much coming and going and 'hiding' behind another so the exact count was tricky.

eta: I see Surreybirder (above) definitely counted 11.

Last edited:
There was a Grey-necked Wood Rail briefly at the feeder on Saturday (at 18:20 camera time). Also, what looked like two different species of possum c30 minutes later.
Nice addition. 18 bird species now. Any suggestions re the second opossum species? (could it be a small/young Common?)
I guess any new bird species will be difficult to add to this list, but perhaps there's some "seasonality" there?

Pouring rain at the station right now, but does not seem to be deterring the thrushes at all, they're feeding as actively as ever. The Melanerpes woodpecker (red-crowned?) is bravely trying to hold its ground against them but keeps being driven off...

EDIT: a couple of minutes on - nothing. No birds at all, that's the first time I've seen that!

Last edited:
At the moment a lot of activity at the feeder.
Lemon rumped, blue-grey, palm and crimson-backed tanager.
Red-legged Honeycreeper and Clay-colored Thrush

Butterfly today camera time 14.58.30
No idea as to species, but it may be an addition.
Maybe same sp as post 38

Attachments

• Butterfly Panama 2018 01 31 a.JPG
    Butterfly Panama 2018 01 31 a.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Butterfly Panama 2018 01 31 b.JPG
    Butterfly Panama 2018 01 31 b.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Is it because early light has faded the colours or is this a Grey Squirrel or maybe a Variegated Squirrel cheers
Harry

half an hour later the next picture shows a red looking squirrel of similar appearance except greyness |:S|
Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot(2).jpg
    Screenshot(2).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot(3).jpg
    Screenshot(3).jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back