• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finding scaly cricket (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

I know it's some time off yet but has anyone had any success looking for scaly cricket at Chesil beach - or eslewhere - as I'm thinking of giving it a go this summer? Any tips appreciated.

Just over from car park - i used plastic pint pots and dug them in at dusk; kipped in car; lots of fisherman around so hard not to attract attention.

Cheers, a

Ferry bridge car park that is. They're not as far up as Abbotsbury. When I was tern wardening there many years ago now, we occasionally found them around the actual edge of the car park itself!

I am used to finding crickets (scaly and otherwise) in California simply by turning over rocks across the suitable habitat. Perhaps this would be suitable at Chesil, if you can possibly find the exact part of the area that they live (I never could!). There was something else alongside the scaly crickets there that I could also not find, but I was looking for...A bristletail? Springtail? I can't remember.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back