• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (3 Viewers)

Hello KC and Birdmeister,

Central Park should see another ten or fifteen days have the migration.

Hello Birdmeister,

I am happy that you enjoy my posts.

I know that many people read this thread buy I thank you for your kind words.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

A few more

Hello,

On Wednesday, I had a good day: a veery, an ovenbird, and a worm eating warbler. Yesterday, i finally saw a swallows, a barn swallow over the Reservoir, but today I had a glimpse at indigo buntings, high up in the trees over Strawberry Field.

The warbler season is peaking, so Sunday may a good day, weather permitting.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Veery.jpg
    Veery.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 11
  • ovenbird.jpg
    ovenbird.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 10
  • worm eating warbler.jpg
    worm eating warbler.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Barn swallows.jpg
    Barn swallows.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Indigo bunting.jpg
    Indigo bunting.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 12
the season contiues

Hello all,

I had a good look at a veery, last weekm as well as glimpse of a house wren.. Those indigo buntings are still around. A couple of days, ago, I saw a Wilson's warbler, but Maryland warblers, aka common yellow throats and American restarts are very common.

Today, I got a glimpse of cedar waxwings, flying above. After carefully looking at the west end of Turtle Pond, I found that the Eastern Kingbirds have returned to their location and will likely nest nearby.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Veery.jpg
    Veery.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Wilson's warbler.jpg
    Wilson's warbler.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 9
  • Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 9
  • house wren.jpg
    house wren.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Kingbird.jpg
    Kingbird.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 10
late

Hello,

I seem to have been remiss is keeping up to date. Ten days ago, I did see a Tennessee warbler, a mourning warbler, one of a fair number which arrived in Central Park, and a late arriving prothonotary warbler . Yesterday, I had a nice view of a northern flicker. Today's best bird was a male wood duck.. The Eastern kingbirds must be nesting near Turtle Pond and someone else pointed our a tree with a possible cedar waxwing nest, which is not surprising since I had frequent sightings of both species.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Tennessee warbler.jpg
    Tennessee warbler.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Warbler, mourning.jpg
    Warbler, mourning.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 12
  • prothonotary.jpg
    prothonotary.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Northern Flicker (Eckstrom).jpg
    Northern Flicker (Eckstrom).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Wood duck.jpg
    Wood duck.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 12
LOL Arthur, I thought you'd gone on holiday!

Thanks for the update, my friend, and the beautiful illustrations too.

Good to see you back again Arthur and it sure sounds as though you've had a good couple of weeks of bird sightings.

Hello Delia and KC,

I actually had a poor time when out and bird watching. On top of which, days when I was free did not match days without rain, more than five inches or more than 13cm, in May.

As I am now retired, I am not sure that I can be on holidays, although I can take a trip. For me, work is a four letter word ending in the letter 'k.'

Last week, I did see a lone laggard white throated sparrow, which was probably the last of the season.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• White throated sparrow.jpg
    White throated sparrow.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 11
summer doldrum

Hello,

I usually have little to report from the Spring Bank Holiday until after the Summer Bank Holiday. If I am fortunate, I see some flycatchers, which I find hard to identify. This week I did see an Eastern wood pewee.

After locating the Eastern Kingbird nest, I have searched in vain for a reported Baltimore oriole nest, although I have seen one bird near the reputed nest's location. Near the eastern end of Turtle Pond, I found the nest of tree swallows and I was happy to have a close look at both the male and the female. The male's blue plumage was a delight to my eyes which is not shown in this old illustration but this mage does the colour some justice.

New York City has some old homes with lead water pipes, necessitating the addition of phosphors to our drinking water, which keeps the lead from leaching into those homes' drinking water. As Central Park Lake is filled from the municipal mains, summertime weather and the phosphors encourage algae which turns the lake's water green. Last Thursday, I watched a black crowned night heron moving in the shallows near Oak Bridge. Within ten minutes the bird had taken three fish, spotting them even through the green water.

More rain today.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Eastern Wood pewee.jpg
    Eastern Wood pewee.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10
  • tree swallow.jpg
    tree swallow.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 10
  • night heron.jpg
    night heron.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 15
Interesting about the info on the phosphors added to the water even though I'm a native New Yorker, I did not know that and I also did not know that it turned the water green.

You are not the only one Arthur to be enthralled with the Tree Swallow and its beautiful color.

Interesting about the info on the phosphors added to the water even though I'm a native New Yorker, I did not know that and I also did not know that it turned the water green.

You are not the only one Arthur to be enthralled with the Tree Swallow and its beautiful color.

Hello KC,

The algae turn the water green but the phosphors and the warm weather promote the growth of algae.

Happy bird watching,

nests

Hello,

I finally found both the Baltimore oriole nest and the cedar waxwing nest. The former in a London plane tree, which had been used for oriole nests in previous years and the latter in a horse chestnut tree. Unfortunately, immature starlings seemed to have harassed the tree swallows from their nest.

Otherwise, I have seen nothing new except for brown headed cowbirds, both yesterday and today.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• cowbird.jpg
    cowbird.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 14
Eastern kingbirds

Hello all,

I had a good look at the Eastern kingbired nest, today, with the temperature near 29º. I had the fhe good fortune to see thre fledglings as well as the two parents.

Otherwise, I saw nothing out of the ordinary for the week.

Happy bird watching,

not much

Hello all,

I cannot write that I have seen anything new. Others are seeing early yellow warblers and waterthrushes in Central Park.

A couple of weeks, ago, I saw two fledgling eastern kingbirds on a branch 1.6 metres above Turtle Pond, being fed by adults. That was a new sight for me.

I have noted very few sightings of woodpeckers, although I often hear them. In the last few days, I did see a downy wood pecker, a northern flicker, and a large woodpecker in shadows, which I think was a hairy woodpecker.

I also saw a butterfly which was outside my very limited knowledge of lepidoptera, but it was very handsome.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Downy.JPG
    Downy.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 8
  • Northern Flicker (Eckstrom).jpg
    Northern Flicker (Eckstrom).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 10
  • hairy woodpeckers.jpg
    hairy woodpeckers.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Butterfly.jpeg
    Butterfly.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 16
A warbler, at last

Hello,

This week I finally sighted an autumnal warbler: a black and white warbler. I also managed to see an ovenbird. A bird which used to have an annual nesting site in Central Park, before the authorities improved the Lake, the green heron turned up near the Loeb Boat House, on the Lake.

I hope that more warblers may come my way.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• black and white warbler.jpg
    black and white warbler.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 11
  • ovenbird.jpg
    ovenbird.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 12
  • herons, green.jpg
    herons, green.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 12
Dry spell

Hello,

I have seen little of note for many days. Two weeks, ago, I saw an unfamiliar bird. The bird watcher next to me was "connected," and his app informed him that it was a black billed cuckoo, but he or the app was in error. Since then, I have seen many American redstarts, a red eyed vireo and today a wren, most likely a house wren. Ten days ago, I did hear a belted kingfisher, near Turtle Pond, which was confirmed by others.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• American Redstarts.jpg
    American Redstarts.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Red eyed vireo.jpg
    Red eyed vireo.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 9
  • house wren.jpg
    house wren.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Kingfisher, belted.jpg
    Kingfisher, belted.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 10
flycatchers

Hello,

There are still American redstarts and black and white warblers about. I did see a wood thrush, last week. Sunday, I saw a magnolia warbler and someone pointed out a Cooper Hawk for me. Yesterday, I saw both an eastern wood pewee and a great crested flycatcher..

I think that it was on Sunday that I met a bird watcher who has a twitter account devoted to Manhattan birds. He was very insistent that I view it but I demurred twice, saying that I had nothing to do with social media. I have no idea if twitter is less dangerous than Facebook but I have no need to accumulate followers. I am happy that so many bird forum users view my posts but it is not a truly important part of my being.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• wood thrush.jpg
    wood thrush.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 7
  • warbler, magnolia.jpg
    warbler, magnolia.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 21
  • cooper hawk.jpg
    cooper hawk.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Eastern wood pe(e)wee.jpg
    Eastern wood pe(e)wee.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 10
  • Flycatcher, great crested.jpg
    Flycatcher, great crested.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 10
ducky

Hello all,

I did see a hermit thrush, in the past week, as well my first house finch, a female of the season. I was pleased to see a northern waterthrush near Triplets Bridge. There was a bird watcher near me so we discussed whether it wa a northern or Louisiana waterthrush but settled on norther. I was truly excited to my first northern shoveller of the season, on Turtle Pond. It is far too early for the males to show their chestnut sides but the long black bill was enough for me to identify it. Next to me was a photographer trying to locate a green heron, who had no interest in the shoveller.

Yesterday, I saw a northern flicker, which I consider a rather beautiful bird.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Hermit thrush.jpg
    Hermit thrush.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 5
  • northern waterthrush.jpg
    northern waterthrush.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Shoveler.jpg
    Shoveler.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 9