• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BIRDERS are coming together (2 Viewers)

For the record, and meaning no disrespect to anyone, I think the OP's suggestion is excellent. We've all had a tough year, the April 5th idea is a nice way to communicate and share enthusiasm for something that brings us all joy. None of us are getting younger, not all of us are experts, and stress/anxiety levels may be high for all kinds of reasons; not just health, but employment, concern for loved ones, etc. etc. We've also been through a number of years in which political and social events have caused discourse to become occasionally abrasive, so maybe it would be nice to just do some simple, shared activity, albeit online, because it's fun, pure and simple.

or the record, and meaning no disrespect to anyone, I think the OP's suggestion is excellent.
Look at the date! The thread is from last year 😊 Btw everyone that posted on this thread thought it was a good idea (my only concern was a suggestion the records posted here would be sent to the BTO as someone suggested, which I didn’t think a good idea/appropriate).

(Given the current lockdown is likely to last until April, perhaps another ’event’ could take place this coming April 2021!)

Your article says "birders are coming together" and I took it in that sense. What you say now makes me think it is even better than I thought if we keep birders' actions separate from the hoi-polloi Chris Packham is attempting to enthuse. Lets do something lastingly useful with this prolonged but hopefully one-off opportunity, not participate in ephemeral love-ins.

John
BirdTrack went global some years ago but that’s beside the point, I’m all in favour of BF doing something.

I think we should come up with something alongs the lines a ‘BIG BF BIRDWATCH’ on April 5 maybe - Or have a BF BIG MiGRATION WATCH daily thread along the lines John suggests - the thing is John said ‘let the BTO take it from there’ - my point only was that someone will still need to collate the data and put it into some kind of database system where it can be used to make propositions etc. before it had any real scientific value. Would anyone be willing to do that?

Otherwise, It could still be very interesting even without the ‘scientific clothing’ - I do think maybe a Migration Watch would work better with a fixed species list - not all species people will be seeing are migratory - also the direction if flying should probably be logged (eg N->NE), then the daily sightings would definitely provide some anecdotal interest with birders.

A bit confused how many ideas are floating here - presumably John’s proposal is nothing to do with the Big Birdwatch (which I wasn’t dismissing!!)
Morning all.just want to add to the content from

Morning all.just want to add to the content from Jon Turner,last month the rsbp had a bird watch day.that really got me hooked.I’ve always been interested in identifying birds at a young age,but since that bird watch day binoculars are out,expenditure on bird food has gone through the roof,house chores have slowed down.bird books studied.it becomes so enjoyable.SO,count me in for another bird watch day.So glad I dropped on this forum.So greatful for the hard work that must go on behind the scenes.Still looking for a Spotter Scope.Anyway more reason to keep badgering my wife,because this is a bird spot within our exercise area.SUPER.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back