• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many Binoculars do you have? (3 Viewers)

Hello everyone, let me introduce myself.

I reside in llandudno, and was persuaded by a friend to think hard about investing in a new pair of binoculars.

I already own two, a pair of 10x50 Nikon Sports, and an old pair of Olympus.

Well, ive just purchased a new pair of 7x42HD+ Ultravids, on recommendation from a friend.

7x42 magnification does not appear to be as popular as 8x42, but the magnification difference is not that great.

I spent several hours earlier this year, at the RSPB shop at Conwy bird reserve, looking through the range of Leica, Swarovskis, and Zeiss binoculars, but on reflection, none of them were a 7x magnification.

I am at a loss to describe just how clear and pin sharp my new binoculars are.

The whole user experience is off the scale, and the self doubt when paying the king's ransom for them, is a thing of the past, its hard saved money very well spent.

When you find the right binoculars, you use every opportunity to use them, and it was blowing hard on top of the Great Orme this afternoon, but i didn't want to go home, i could have stayed there all day, just gazing through these new bins.

A 7x magnification, may not be as popular today, but the clarity of image, and very wide field of view, makes them worth considering.

Last edited:

I reside in llandudno, and was persuaded by a friend to think hard about investing in a new pair of binoculars.

Well, ive just purchased a new pair of 7x42HD+ Ultravids, on recommendation from a friend.

7x42 magnification does not appear to be as popular as 8x42, but the magnification difference is not that great.

I spent several hours earlier this year, at the RSPB shop at Conwy bird reserve, looking through the range of Leica, Swarovskis, and Zeiss binoculars, but on reflection, none of them were a 7x magnification.

The whole user experience is off the scale, and the self doubt when paying the king's ransom for them, is a thing of the past, its hard saved money very well spent.

When you find the right binoculars, you use every opportunity to use them, and it was blowing hard on top of the Great Orme this afternoon, but i didn't want to go home, i could have stayed there all day, just gazing through these new bins.

A 7x magnification, may not be as popular today, but the clarity of image, and very wide field of view, makes them worth considering.

I totally agree with you. I just recently bought the same binoculars, and never considered this magnification. But they are perfect!

I couldn't agree more!

I know several folks that have bought this binocular...most are elated! The 7X42 UVHD+ seems to have a combination of factors that all seem to come together... It's just a quality instrument.

1- Swarovski SLC HD 10x42 (the close focus version)
2- Swarovski EL 8x32 (original EL)
3- Leica Trinovid BN 8x42
4- Nikon Ell 8x30 x2pairs
5- Nikon A 8x30
6- Nikon E 10x35
7- Nikon E 10x35 (FMC Criterion)
8- Nikon Gold sentinel 7x35
9- Leitz binuxit 8x30
10- Zeiss west 8x30
11- Zeiss Jenoptem 8x30
12- Zeiss Jenoptem 8x30 (T3M)
13- Nikon D 9x30
14-BNU5 8x30
15- Kershaw Olympic 8x30
16- Ross Steptron 8x30
17- Opticron High resolution 8x42
18- Swift Audubon HR/5 8.5x44
19- Swift Aerolite 8x30 (my first pair of binoculars, had since I was 5yr old)

The wife has

1- Nikon EDG mkll 8x32
2- Audubon Equinox 8x42
3- Leica Ultravid 10x25

So 20 pairs for me and 3 for the wife.

I couldn't agree more!

I know several folks that have bought this binocular...most are elated! The 7X42 UVHD+ seems to have a combination of factors that all seem to come together... It's just a quality instrument.

My wife has the 7x42 UVHD+. It is her favorite binocular, mostly because it excels in every way, just as you intimate. We would both agree that it is indeed a quality instrument, but then again - we all know that. :t:

My 7x42 is a Zeiss FL. I prefer it’s view a bit more, especially when it is very dim whereupon the FL is noticeably brighter. However, I much prefer the handling, appearance, and subjective feel of build quality of the Leica.

I have 15 pairs of binoculars as of today 06/12/2020
1. Nikon 8X20 Premier HG L
2. Nikon 8X23 Venturer II (2 pairs)
3. Nikon 8x25 Mountaineer II
4. Nikon 8X30 E series
5. Nikon 8X32 LX L
6. Nikon 8X32 Superior E
7. Nikon 8X40 Classic Eagle
8. Nikon 10X42 Monarch HG
9. Nikon 7X42 EDG II
10. Leitz 6X24 Roof Pism
11. Pentax 6.5X21 Papillon
12. Kowa 6.5X32 BD II
13. Zeiss 8X25 Victory Compact
14. Celestron 11X80 Astronomical Binocular.
Soon to be 16 pairs as I have a Zeiss 8X32 SF on order through Optics 4 Birding.

Impressive collections.
Without wanting to offend anybody. Aside from pure collectors why do people own very similar binoculars at the same time in parallel? I understand to own something for high magnification, something light weight and such but like almost the same model in several copies? Wouldn't make sense to me.

I have legally a half of Kowa Yf 8x30 due to shared spousal ownership :) I am thinking about buying a second pair to have one for each of us - after 10 years of birding I am slowly getting positive to the idea of having binoculars.

Impressive collections.
Without wanting to offend anybody. Aside from pure collectors why do people own very similar binoculars at the same time in parallel? I understand to own something for high magnification, something light weight and such but like almost the same model in several copies? Wouldn't make sense to me.

My binoculars (see profile) fit into the 'something for each situation' category.
However I've about 3-4 dozen books on bird identification etc. aquired over the years, not that I regard myself as collector, though I was a librarian. Even have multiple copies of a couple of my favourites.
Have been thinking of whittling them down but I quite like having them and books generally, giving one away occasionally to friends who visit.
Human nature?

Impressive collections.

I think it all depends on how you define „pure collectors“.

Why would someone buy 7 different recordings of Beethoven‘s 9th symphony? Isn‘t the music always the same?

The musician might answer: the musical score is always the same, the performances are definitely not and vary greatly between artists and orchestras.

I consider the same to be true for binoculars. No two of my many 8x42 binos show identical images.

Would you say that someone paying attention to the slight (or sometimes substantial) differences between optical instruments with identical objective diameters and magnifications is a „pure collector“? Maybe I am one then :eek!:

Canip

Why would someone buy 7 different recordings of Beethoven‘s 9th symphony? Isn‘t the music always the same?

The musician might answer: the musical score is always the same, the performances are definitely not and vary greatly between artists and orchestras.

I consider the same to be true for binoculars. No two of my many 8x42 binos show identical images.

Would you say that someone paying attention to the slight (or sometimes substantial) differences between optical instruments with identical objective diameters and magnifications is a „pure collector“? Maybe I am one then :eek!:

Canip

I was afraid I suffered from binoculariosis but your subtle argument above has convinced me that's not the case, thank you, Canip!

It's also quite interesting to see how things have changed, in my case different editions of a book over 40 years, seeing for example how the bird population has changed.
...or in the case of a friend of mine, collecting different versions of Nikon cameras from the 1959 F onwards, including multiple siightly different F3's.

These are our hobbies; these interests bring each of us enjoyment in various ways.
And some people don't buy stuff, they enjoy and prefer to spend on experiences or travel.

Canip

I like it! Great analogy!

I think that comment is right on point and I would label this as an “enthusiast” vs a “collector”. The distinction to me is whether you USE them or have them sitting in a display case.

If you’re an “enthusiast” it makes sense to have different options with similar functional goals where you can appreciate subtle differences in their “personalities”. Just like a music enthusiast having different versions of the same song or a movie enthusiast having different copies of Blade Runner in various cuts. It’s fun to compare and contrast for the pure pleasure of the hobby.

Myself, I would say I’m mostly a “utilitarian” user with a bit of an “enthusiast” lean. I’m primarily a field birder so I like to have a couple of primary optics that perform, these days that would be an 8x32 for general use and a 10x42 for longer distance birding. However I really do enjoy trying different bins to understand their strengths and weaknesses hoping to find the Goldilocks “just right” pair, so I might have 2-3 others around that I’m playing with. But I would never be the type to own 20 pairs with multiple options in each class. And I like to have an inexpensive “backup pair” that’s a light, general use bin to use in the yard or toss in the car. Plus now that I have kids I also have a couple of small hands options.

Current lineup:
- Cabelas Euro HD 8x32 (primary general use bin, currently awaiting repair)
- Tract Toric UHD 10x42 (long distance birding, sadly also in the shop for repair)
- Pentax 9x32 WP (Sightron clone, primary “cheap” backup / backyard / loaner bin)
- Minox HG 10x42 (current “play toy” I’m trying for fun, getting more use with primaries needing repairs)
- Leica Ultravid HD 8x32 (wife bins, she’s a “one and done” binocular gal)
- Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 (kid bin #1)
- Leopold Yosemite 6x32 (kid bin #2)
- Nikon Monarch 10x42 ATB (emergency backup, 15 years old but just in case...)

So 8 total, with little redundancy. My two main bins, one extra I’m trying out for fun, my wife’s primary bins, and four inexpensive extras for backup / kids / loaners / emergencies. Feels reasonable to me :p

Edited to add: if there is one format I’m missing it’s a 7x42 for low light / big exit pupil situations. I think for a serious birder the trio of 8x32 (light weight, general use), 10x42 or 10x50 (long distance), and 7x42 (low light / pelagics / big exit pupil) is about as perfect a combo as it gets for having all typical birding situations covered with as few bins as possible.

Last edited:
Impressive collections.

I love all things with lenses!!
I also am a collector of all sorts of things like watches, Lathes and other machinery and airguns (They're all machines- Watches are mini machines!)
I have 8 Weihrauch HW35 airguns and also I have 12 BSA Airsporters, Each one although the same have different charactristics so I buy them when offered!!

Here's some of my optical stuff but not all!

John :t:

I just made a rough count, and I came up with 70 binoculars, all shapes and sizes.

I have slowed on buying new ones, but cannot find the effort to sell. I have recently given
away more optics than anything else.

Someday I should make an optics grouping photo by size, the 8x30-32 group is interesting.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back