• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many Binoculars do you have? (1 Viewer)

Without wanting to offend anybody. Aside from pure collectors why do people own very similar binoculars at the same time in parallel? I understand to own something for high magnification, something light weight and such but like almost the same model in several copies? Wouldn't make sense to me.

Not offended in the slightest! I gladly confess my three 8x30 are nostalgia binoculars, though I do use them regularly (not so much this year, but over the time period I've owned them, yes - quite often at that). They fog up when it's cold, and the coatings don't match even a reasonable made in China product of today (oh god if only...), but neither of those are issues in nice summer weather, and I find great pleasure in using something so light, handy and beautifully made. I have to remove my glasses to use them, and therefore use them only when I won't need to go quickly to or come quickly off my binoculars, but even that has a certain element of charm, as side light is blocked off better than when I have my glasses on - which contributes greatly to the "immersive view".

I like to have the choice between 10x40 and 10x50 - 10x40 smaller, handier, for when I want closer birds to look bigger than in 8x magnification, and 10x50 with its larger exit pupil that is more comfortable when "in the glasses" for most of a three to five hour session, scanning for distant targets. My 10x50 (old Zeiss West) is also somewhat a nostalgia binocular, but it's still pretty good at the task I use it for.

Five binoculars and one monocular. Nikon EDG 8x32, Nikon EDG 8x42, Nikon EDG 10x42, Meopta Meostar HD 15x56, Nikon Mikron 7x15 and the Leica Monovid Monocular 8x20.

Sancho. I went through at least 100 binocular's in 10 years. Like you I am down to 5 that I use. I decided only to keep my favorite alpha's because I use them the most.

Interesting that I see you are selling the Nikon EDG 8x32, the Nikon EDG 8x42, and the Meopta Meostar HD 15x56 on eBay now :smoke:

The fickle whims of Dennis. I guess it's nice to know some things never change, although I'm not sure at what point you decided plural words are supposed to have apostrophes o:D

Posting after a long absence (and a bit of lurking): 23 [I just took mental inventory].

Which is probably about 15 too many, in one way, but all served their purpose (much of which was figuring out what I do and don't like) and none of the 'superfluous' ones are at the expensive end (and some of 'em have been excellent 'loaners').

I haven't added or removed a one of them for around 3-4 years, but I have been happily using some (the not-superfluous ones) quite extensively. Which is probably why I haven't been around for a while (I got out of the habit through pressure of work, and haven't felt a pressing need to research anything given how well set up I now am).

I was really checking back in to see what the longer-term view of Leica's Noctivids might be, and to check on whether Zeiss had produced their long-discussed 8x32 SFs. It looks like I timed my check reasonably well |=)| (I've no intention of buying either; I just thought to look.)

Although, having looked around, I now find myself tempted by some Zeiss Victory 8x25s, despite having had no real intention of doing any such thing. :eek!:

I should have remembered that looking here is dangerous :-C

...Mike

Swarovski 10x50 field pro, Zeiss 10x42SF, Leica 7x42 HD plus, Leica 7x42BN, Fujinon 10x50 FMT-SX, Fujinon 16x70 FMT-SX, and a 25x100 Zhumell are my current binoculars.

Interesting that I see you are selling the Nikon EDG 8x32, the Nikon EDG 8x42, and the Meopta Meostar HD 15x56 on eBay now :smoke:

The fickle whims of Dennis. I guess it's nice to know some things never change, although I'm not sure at what point you decided plural words are supposed to have apostrophes o:D

Say it ain't so! Surely denco would only have parted with such wonderful binoculars under duress? o:D

Nikon EDG 8x32 for best 32mm birding binocular.

Nikon EDG 8x42 for best all-around binocular.

Nikon EDG 10x42 for best 10x birding binocular.

Meopta Meostar B.1 HD 15x56 for best high power binocular.

(just over two months ago...)

I'm interested to know what replacements are planned...?
Hopefully the sales are not related to the pandemic and all is well.

Andy

Just two, o no wait; three. Somewhere is my old cheapo Reilo (or what's that brand) I first bought when starting birding and not sure if I'd ever like it. It's worthless in my eyes now but I've did with it for a year or two. Then there's the Vanguard Endeavor EDII 10x42, good glass but quite bad build, but it fared me well for a few years. And now I'm using the Meopta Meostar 10x42 HD, spectacular stuff, really happy with it.

So I always actually have (had) just one to-go-to bino for everyday's use. And it's for the best I don't have enough income to indulge myself on collecting bino's or even buy some more for different circumstances. With me there's always the risk of starting a collection, almost hoarding the stuff. I'm already having that with vinyl (lp's, music) and had it with old books, even fireworks. So better not go there, stuff per one is already expensive enough to me...

Ries, I'm intrigued about the "firework collection" bit.
Aren't they all about the magic of actually making them explode? And then... collecting explosives sounds a little risky for me o:D But, seriously, I've never heard about that. Is it for the different colours/sounds/power? Really intrigued.

Just one: Swarovski CL 8x30 (1st gen)

Birding has become a bit more casual. It's more than satisfactory for my
needs these days and I really enjoy using it; size, weight , ergonomics and colors
are ideal for me.

Just one: Swarovski CL 8x30 (1st gen)

Birding has become a bit more casual. It's more than satisfactory for my
needs these days and I really enjoy using it; size, weight , ergonomics and colors
are ideal for me.

I always liked the colors in it also when I looked through them. It worked well with my glasses to and I liked it better than the new CL that replaced it. Nice binocular for sure I thought.

Ries, I'm intrigued about the "firework collection" bit.
Aren't they all about the magic of actually making them explode? And then... collecting explosives sounds a little risky for me o:D But, seriously, I've never heard about that. Is it for the different colours/sounds/power? Really intrigued.
Not really "collecting", though some collect dummies, but harvesting nice collections to fire on NYE. When you're years into it, you start to appreciate different effects more subtly, know to pick the special products and build a nice little street show with them. It's a year long "hunt" for the most special stuff for the lowest prices and make the nices configuration out of them, culminating in that just one special tense moment every year at 00h. Still nervous for that as I was as a kid.
And yeah, the magic is mainly in the beautiful nightskylighting fire that comes from just one tiny "boom". Small creations of beauty. Not into the loudest bangs... A beautiful fountain or ground flower gives more joy :)

1. Leica Ultravid BL 8x42 : birding, winter, woods
2. Leica Ultravid HD+ 10X32 : birding, summer, seaside
3. Opticron Traveller ed 8x32 : sailing, travel, birding, tourism
4. Sightron BS 8X32 : desk, loaning (lending?) to kids, friends...

And yeah, the magic is mainly in the beautiful nightskylighting fire that comes from just one tiny "boom". Small creations of beauty. Not into the loudest bangs... A beautiful fountain or ground flower gives more joy :)

Never thought about it, but I actually find this whole story has a very special beauty in itself: looking for the right thing for the right moment... to deliver an ephemeral moment of beauty to share with others. Hey, I think you convinced me!!! There's no shortage of firework culture in Eastern Spain :D :D No, I mean, seriously, what you described sounds somewhere in between a sommelier and a cheese "affineur". Nice. :)

Zeiss 7x42 FL - the mainstay. Light enough to carry around all day, can do no wrong.
Swarovski 8x56 SLC HD - tripod-mount, most comfortable, perfect view
Swarovski 15x56 SLC HD - tripod-mount
Swarovski 8x25 - Light and bright, but not enough for dawn and dusk
Nikon 10x42 SE - Sharp and great color, yet strangely unsatisfying. Hard to hold steady
Nikon 8x30 WF - Amazing 8.8-degree compact porro. Also strangely unsatisfying.
Fujinon 10x70 FMT-SX - guarantees clouds at your favorite dark site
Canon 10x32 IS - bought on the road for an eclipse. Sharp but not as contrasty as fancy glass.
Canon 5x15 - theater - incredibly small folding glass
Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio - fun but niche
Orion 2x54 - another rainmaker

Hmm, maybe I should preface this with "My name is Marc, and I have a problem...." If someone were to ask me how many, I'd say 5, as that's the number I more or less would keep. But in reality, I have 13. Plus two telescopes. Plus one spotting scope. Plus camera lenses that I can use with a spotting scope attachment. Ouch, that hurt.

Of the ones I think of as "keepers", I think I use 4 out of the 5. The compacts (8x20) I only really use when traveling. But when traveling, they are the champs. I don't like to have a bunch of gear strapped on when traveling (unless it's specially a photo shoot), so the 8x20 format is clearly the winner.

Almost all of these are bought used, some at really good deals because they had some sort of cosmetic damage to the armor. The ones I bought new are: Kowa 8x33, Leica 8x20, Nikon EII, Conquest 8x32, Monarch 5, and Trailblazer, plus the two "oops" at the end.

• Most used: Kowa Genesis 8x33
  • Usually truck bins: Victory 10x42 HT
  • My best view, if I have less camera gear: Swaro 8.5x42 EL Pro
  • Compacts: Leica UV BR 8x20
  • Office: Nikon EII 8x30

I really love the Swaro 8.5x42 view the best, but I use the 8x33 the most due to size. Well, maybe its a toss up, because I keep the Swaro by the breakfast table and use them to look out the window a lot at the garden insects. The close focus is really a plus here.

I think I should sell the 8.5x42 and 10x42 HT and get a 10x42 EL or SF.

Ok, now on to the stuff that I need to dispose of. I collected some used 7x42 to compare them all. I have rigged up a system to do camera shots through all the tubes to compare color and brightness, but I need to set it up in a larger room.

• Zeiss 7x42 BGATP
  • Nikon 7x42 EDG
  • Zeiss 7x42 T*FL

It is really close between the T*FL and EDG for me. I think I like the T*FL better, but it changes day to day. I'd like to add a UV HD or HD+ to the stable and compare them too.... My girlfriend likes 7x as it helps with shakes, and I often give her the Nikon 7x42 EDG. Money well spent, IMO.

These I need to dispose of too. They are "left overs" that I've been too lazy to sell.

• Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 (they were so close to the Kowa I couldn't decide and ended up keeping them too).
  • Nikon Monarch 5, 8x42 (my first "serious" pair)
  • Nikon Trailblazer 10x25 (I actually sold these, but they got returned due to alignment problems, so I sent them to Nikon for warranty repair, now they are sitting on a shelf).

Oops, and I also have:

• Pentax AD 8x25 WP (an experiment for Sharon who eventually said "nope")
  • Sighmark Solitude 8x36 XD (an experiment for me, who quickly said "nope")

I guess I need to start pumping out some "for sale" signs.

Marc

Last edited:
Where does a fellow with one old pair of Telstar Precision Optics 7x50 fit in?
And one Nikon Coolpix L820.

Is it okay if I jump in here with you folks and stand around so I'll at least look cool?

Just kidding folks! Maybe someday I'll run up on a pair of good lightweight bins.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back