• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Pocket" Guide for Europe (1 Viewer)

hultsfret

Hi,

I've been using both the Peterson and Jonsson Guide to Birds of Europe for several years and to state the obvious I'd like to say that I am very happy with them. But with 500+ pages each, they're somewhat heavy to take on a mountain trip.

I have been thinking about cutting the book into pieces and just taking the drawings of whatever part I needed (not so many waders on mountain trips), but it seems a little harsh to me.

Does anyone know about a "pocket" guide that he would recommend?

Regards,

Matthias

Collins Bird Guide is very good for WP birds and is only 400 pages. There's numerous threads about how good it is, so worth considering if you don't mind the bird names in English (although if you follow the link in my signature, there's a solution to that...).
There is a German version (Der neue Kosmos - Vogelführer), but I've only ever seen it in hardback and it's fairly expensive in this format.
Hope that's some help.

Matthias,

Depending on the area of coverage that you need, I recommend Kightley, Madge & Nurney 2002 (Pocket Guide to the Birds of Britain and North-West Europe) as a more compact but pretty good field guide:
It covers Scandinavia, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, France, Benelux & British Isles.

Stephen Moss, Birdwatch:
  • "Many bird books claim to be 'pocket sized' but few truly fit the bill. So what of this snug little volume from Pica Press? The authors, artist and designer have certainly packed a great deal into a small space: almost 400 species contained within a total of just 300 pages, measuring just 18cm by 12cm, and less than half the weight of a typical field guide. The text, by Chris Kightley and Steve Madge, is a model of concise description, with virtually no words wasted, and brief clear captions pointing out the major identification features. The species accounts have a real air of authority: written by birders for birders, yet also accessible to the beginner. The illustrations, by Dave Nurney, are pleasing to look at, and the colours well reproduced."
Richard

Last edited:
How about going electronic? Sony e-reader (not sure what's out there) or some of the dvd guides from birdguides, transferred to ipod/iphone or mp4 player? I get a good 4 hours continuous battery use with the Creative Zen, and expandable memory means I can dedicate 4gb to a multimedia guide.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back