View Single Post
Old Wednesday 13th November 2019, 17:07   #714
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Yes, I've seen Goldcrests 'tumbling down' through the branches like leaves on a couple of occasions, a lovely sight.

Numbers building up around the feeders here with regular sub-zero nights now, around 40 Brambling seem settled and happy with the free food and Yellowhammers into double figures today. A nice surprise this afternoon when only the second ever for the garden

84 Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

was clambering around the branches of one of the old apple trees across the road. We are really above the usual altitude for the species but a few minutes afterwards there was a flock of twelve Long-tailed Tits in the adjacent trees so I wonder if it's been tagging along with them as they wander about. Interestingly (for me at least) the first one we had was also a November arrival two years ago and it kindly hung around till the following January helping the good old Garden Year List!
I recall my last (in garden LSW) was also in November, many, many, years ago on my neighbours Cherry tree adjacent (almost touching) my bedroom window.....you're getting too close for comfort Richard.