• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit - Hangzhou, China, Jan 08 (1 Viewer)

Astrokev

Hi,

My latest offering for hopeful confirmation of ID.

The closest I can get is a possible Olive-backed pipit ?

Small groups of 2-4 birds, foraging in short grass along the roadside and also in parkland.

I'd be grateful of a positive ID if possible.

Many thanks
Kevin

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 110
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 95
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 93
Hi Kevin,
Certainly Olive-backed Pipits, and very nice pics! The small pipits that occur in China, as far as I'm aware, are Red-throated, Pechora and Olive-backed, though species like (Asian) Buff-bellied may not look that large either, but Olive-backed differs from all the rest due to the combination of relatively plain, olive-toned, upperparts, pink legs, relatively short hind claw (if this can be seen), the typical head pattern (with obvious dark and white spots, distinct supercilium (with a dark upper border)), calls (if heard, a buzzing call similar to that of Tree), jizz (Tree and OBP share a 'creeping' gait, a tendency to fly up and perch on tree branches within the canopy, tail-pumping etc).

Thanks for the confirmation and to Harry for the extensive ID notes - very helpful for future reference next time I'm out in that part of the world.
Kev

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back