• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (2 Viewers)

Have to be careful here, before the 'thought police' swoop! Go to the reserve centre (ie: the brick hide!) and ask the duty warden. You'll be standing 2 metres from the Spotted Flycatcher!
Thanks. I am hoping to get there on Saturday afternoon so I will make some subtle enquiries. I am also hoping for a sunny day and the odd late Swallowtail to be hanging about as I have seen a grand total of two this year.

Ron

Without re-reading posts, don't remember seeing Ringlet reported on here yet and as I've had a couple in Thetford over last few days I thought I'd report them now! First seen on Tuesday.

Chris

Ringlets

Yes: there were lots of Ringlets at Strumpshaw on Tuesday...
Hey! Look what was in my garden all day! A beautiful Lime Hawk Moth!)

Attachments

• Lime Hawk.jpg
    Lime Hawk.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Lime Hawk 2.jpg
    Lime Hawk 2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 95
Purple Hairstreak reported from Norwich Cemetary, Greyling from Holme and White Admiral from Horseford - all in the last week. That leaves Gatekeeper, Small and Essex Skippers, White-letter Hairstreak and Chalkhill Blue as the only Norfolk butterflies yet to be seen. Small skipper's been seen in Suffolk so someone must get it here soon, and I'm sure White-letter will be flying somewhere. So, can we manage a full list before the end of the month?

Edited to add: Just had emails reporting Small Skipper (Thetford) and White-letter in Chapelfield, Norwich. Only two left.

Last edited:
I had three or four dark green fritillaries behind the dunes just south of Horsey Gap car park last Sunday afternoon. Sorry for the late posting, but just found this thread.
Cheers
Jono

I've been seeing Ringlets along the lanes here this week too. Photographed this Purple Hairstreak in East Ruston today; the best views I've ever had of one. Newly emerged too I guess. I'm also a bit undecided on this east Norfolk 'Blue', can anyone give me a positive ID please?

James

Attachments

• DSCN2913.JPG
    DSCN2913.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN2925.JPG
    DSCN2925.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 128
Horsey Gap

Butterfly Fest! Over 40 Dark Green Frits seen, including a group of 6!
Also Grayling, Small Heath, Ringlet, Small & Large Skipper. Nearby (lacking any info from 'Frootloop') I haunted the hedges around East Ruston.What's this dark female? Just an unmarked Ringlet?

Attachments

• Dark Green Frit  best.jpg
    Dark Green Frit best.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Dark Green Frit 4.jpg
    Dark Green Frit 4.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Female  Blue.jpg
    Female Blue.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Frootloop?! I dunno...

The Hairstreak was on the verge near the 5-bar gate just east of the 'white bridge' at East Ruston fen. I'd literally just got out of the car when it appeared. There are several Oaks here and I've read that they often stay close to the ground when newly emerged so I guess I was lucky. To me, the Skipper looks like a Small but I agree, they are confusing at times. The Ringlet is interesting too.

I'd wondered whether the 'Blue' was a Silver-studded but was hoping for some expert opinions. I do have a poor upperwing shot if that may help...

James

Thanks for that! I'll take a peek during the week!
The skipper interested me because it had black dots on the underside of its antennae 'knobs': the books say that's one of the field marks....

The black under the antennae is *the* crucial field mark. Your photo doesn't show the underside, but if they were black and not orange then it was essex. Sadly I was coming here to post that I recieved a photo of an essex taken near kings lynn on saturday, so you were just pipped being first. On Saturday I checked Warham camp, but no Chalkhill blues to be seen. With that exception however, we now have sightings of every resident species on the Norfolk list!

Breydon South bank today produced 7 Small Skipper, a Painted lady, 5+ Small heath, single Common Blue and Red Admiral, 8 Small Torts and lots and lots of meadow browns.

Oh and yes, it's poorly marked but it's a silver-studded blue.

It was butterfly heaven at Strumpshaw on Saturday with hundreds of Small Tortoiseshells (I counted over 30 from the tower hide window without really trying), several very bright Commas, 2 Red Admirals, 1 Swallowtail in the garden and numerous assorted browns on and near the meadow trail. There were also several moths like the one pictured, which I assume is a Five-spot Burnet.

Ron

Attachments

• Five-spot-burnet.jpg
    Five-spot-burnet.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 95
Upton Fen

No White Admirals in evidence between 12.00 and 2,30, but at least 5 Swallowtails and lots of Skippers & Ringlets!

Attachments

• Ringlet.jpg
    Ringlet.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Skipper Upton Fen 2.jpg
    Skipper Upton Fen 2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 102
In Norfolk narrow-bordered 5 spot is more common so I'd be inclined to that - but impossible to tell without seeing the border on the hindwing.
In other news the first Camberwell beauty reported from a garden in Bunwell last saturday, so worth keeping an eye out.

Two Clouded Yellows at the Norfolk & Norwich outpatients' carpark at Colney around 4.15 today!

I'd had my eye on a lovely patch of clifftop clover with Clouded Yellow in mind but the farmer obviously didn't share my views; it's been mown down... |=(|

Hickling South Wall up to the public hide was rather quiet this (mid/late) morning with Hobby, Green Sandpiper, Curlew, 2-3 Ruff, c20 Avocet, c160 Black-tailed Godwits, 4 Cuckoo's (inc. a flock of 3) and 1S Little Gull being the highlights. Also c4 Swallowtails on the wing as the sun tried to breakout. Other sightings elsewhere locally were a pair of Spotted Flycatchers and 2 Turtle Doves, one of which was a singing male.

James

A second Camberwell seen thursday at fritton wood (near halvergate).
New brood Holly Blues and Comma reported in the last couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back