• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Family of swifts wiped out in storm (1 Viewer)

joelalor

A family of swifts nesting in Dublin was wiped out in a recent thunderstorm - no more swifts left at the nesting site.

What are the chances of any swifts at the site next summer? Anything that can be done to encourage a new colony?

I wonder if it's lack of nesting oppurunities Pat because they're only ever in odd pairs around where I live, certainly no colonies.

Not sure either Andy. Noticeable by their absence in our village this season. 1 site noted compared to several sites when I moved here 20 years ago.

Was there some storms in the Sahara that took out a lot this year during migration sure I remember reading something on that

I wonder if it's lack of nesting oppurunities Pat because they're only ever in odd pairs around where I live, certainly no colonies.
Swifts are attracted to look for nest sites by Swift calls, including the calls they make from inside the nest. If you put up nest boxes, the most reliable way to attract Swifts is by playing their calls as loud as possible from a speaker.
A family of swifts nesting in Dublin was wiped out in a recent thunderstorm - no more swifts left at the nesting site.
What are the chances of any swifts at the site next summer? Anything that can be done to encourage a new colony?
I'd say a combination of putting up nest boxes (unless there are already plenty of potential nest sites already) and playing calls to attract them. The key times are around the 2nd half of May when the non-breeders tend to return (breeding pairs return first to reclaim their nest site) and the 2nd half of July when the chicks fledge, although playing the calls should attract Swifts throughout the breeding season.

Thanks - there are old military buildings outside my window where they can nest, so I'll try broadcasting the calls next year.

Is it unusual that a summer storm would wipe out a family (of 3 in this case)?

Thanks - there are old military buildings outside my window where they can nest, so I'll try broadcasting the calls next year.

Is it unusual that a summer storm would wipe out a family (of 3 in this case)?

Yes, unusual if you're talking about 2 adults and 1 chick. How did you establish the number and that they all perished? One of the adults should have been able to flee if a predator entered.

There were 3 returnees to the nest in the roof in May (usually 6 or 7 in the colony) - they hunted together since the migration. In the few days before the storm last week, they were in and out from the roof constantly, I assume to keep chicks fed. Since the storm, they've been absent and there's been no flying to and from the nest.

There are other swifts in the locality - last evening, a dozen or so entertained us - but "our" family of 3 and their chicks must have persihed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back