• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wolves (1 Viewer)

iraqbabbler

Hi there folks o:D
I'll be going to the United States soon, and I thought I'd love to take the opportunity to look for wolves; either in the US or in Canada. I do realize that they are quite difficult to see but still .. Can anyone suggest some good places to go looking for them. Thank you in advance 8-P

I too have got the impression that Yellowstone is a good spot but I think they are a reintroduction there. Kinda disappointing that no North Americans have answered this because I'd be very interested as they're pretty tricky in Europe.

Thanks guys:t:
.. and yes I agree that Yellowstone is probably a reintroduction or at least is a bit more choreographed !!! .. I'm not really into that .. I read on the net that some people pay thousands of dollars scouring Yellowstone in search of the wolves !!! .. well that definitely ain't my cup of herbal lupine tea:-O

On a positive note, I am also informed that Isle Royale is a likely place, so I'll research that option a bit deeper and probably give it a try .. In any case, i'm off in a few days and of course I'm looking forward to the birding there ..

P.S. I am just as amazed as you Steve that no CANADIANS have replied :smoke:

Canadians not responding

Hi Iraqbabbler,

From my experience living in Canada and spending lots of time in the
boreal forest wolves are quite elusive.They still trap and hunt wolves
here so I can understand why they are hard to see.I personally
have seen 2 wolves one at a freinds cabin at Wanipigow Lake,Manitoba
and one near Banff,Alberta.Both times riding in a vehicle.
As I read in your other thread you are also looking for boreal birds.
In August Alqonquin Park has public wolf howl(you might hear them
but will not see them)and while there you might see lots of boreal
birds.

Thanks borealowl47 o:D
It sounds good and who knows I may even hit the jackpot and see a wolf ;)

I had a look at the website for Algonquin Park but there's no mention of whether you can reach it by public transport .. Is it easy in general to get about in Canada by using public transport, or is hiring a car essential ?

I had a look at the website for Algonquin Park but there's no mention of whether you can reach it by public transport .. Is it easy in general to get about in Canada by using public transport, or is hiring a car essential ?

Public transportation is mostly between major cities(Greyhound Bus)and in
those cities(my example-Winnipeg Transit).Because Canada is so large
a care hire would your best bet to get to any large expanses of
wilderness e.g.Algonquin Park.

http://www.northernedgealgonquin.com/documents/wolf_001.pdf

Saw a couple trotting alongside the road at the Athabasca Parkway last year near Jasper, Alberta. The local we were with did say it was pretty unusual to see them though. Good luck.

Within the lower 48, Yellowstone is your best bet for wolves; they are reintroduced, however are considered established and thus countable. Usually at least one den site is known and visible from the road. Glacier National Park would be my second best bet, but much more difficult. Wolves inhabit Isle Royale, but in these parts are pretty shy and unlikely to be encountered

Red Wolf, with effort, is getable in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge in North Carolina, or at least they are reported often enough by birding groups to make me think so.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back