• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do They bite? (1 Viewer)

AnotherNightOwl said:
Thanks again for replying Harry. :t:

I've looked up Banded Demoiselles on google and found that they are a type of Dragonfly.( I hope i'm correct)
I've also been on google trying to find what Hawkers moths look like. I can find small articles on Hawk moths, are they the same thing?

I suppose my fear of wasps and bees comes from knowing someone when i was a young boy, who was stung by a wasp and went into Anaphylactic shock. I know that it's very few people that get such a reaction, but until you are stung you just don't know.

I know people have different fears, some don't like flying, some don't like spiders, others it's injections etc etc... but for me it's wasps. Don't get me wrong i'm not petrified of them... i just have a HEALTHY RESPECT for them, more so for their rear end.

Them Adders must like you Harry. ;) I hope they never like me :eek!:

Deano

Hello Deano,
Ooops, sorry it was a typo on my behalf. It should have read Hawker Dragonflies and not Moths. I must proof read my posts in future.

Harry

harry eales said:
There is nothing at all to fear from any of Britains insect life.

I feel I must add the caveat: unless you suffer from an anaphylactic reaction.

My (British) bite/sting list:
Buff-tailed bumblebee
Common wasp
German wasp
Median wasp
Honeybee
Hornet
Red ant
Wood ant
Andrena sp. (solitary bee)
2-spot ladybird
7-spot ladybird
Carabus sp (ground beetle)
Great Diving beetle
Southern Hawker
Long-winged Conehead
Alder fly (larva)
Assassin bug sp.
Culex sp (mosquito)
Aedes sp (mosquito)
Cleg
Horse fly
Simulidae sp (black fly)
Several species of midge
Woodlouse Spider
At least 2 species of Tick

my overseas list includes several species of ant, Tsetse fly, Scorpion, blister beetle (not technically a bite or sting) more ticks & more biting flies.

Still here, still intact :D

I've been nipped by a male garden spider, although nowhere near as painful as a wasp sting - i certainly felt it and it left a small red mark on my neck. Don't want to put the frighteners up anyone, but if a little ole male garden spider can do that, just think what a bl**dy big female is capable of!! :eek!:

dan

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back